Rome/Vatican Tours

Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Rome/Vatican Tours

Was thinking about booking the Romaround Tour of the Vatican/ Sistine/ St Peters for later this month. Cost is 30 E plus 12 E admission fee.Tour last apprx. 4 hours. Anyone ever use them any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
MaureenB

Maybe someone else knows of that particular company, but our tour was booked via fax directly through the Vatican. It was two hours, and much less expensive. Personally, four hours would be too long for me. We had as much time as we wanted in the Sistene Chapel, after the two-hour tour of the Museums. Our group was only about eight people. We each had headsets.
>-

Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Maureen,
I faxed the Vatican 5 days ago reference their tour and haven't heard from them yet. We have 3 weeks before we depart. How did you reserve the Vatican tour/ How many in your group. Any info much appreciated. Richard
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
MaureenB

Richard,
There have been many threads about the frustrating Vatican process. You will not receive a confirmation of your request. You will not receive confirmation of your reservation until about two days beforehand. As I say below, it was worth the trouble for us, because it does give you a specific entrance time and it costs less than other tours.

A very useful tip is to plan the Museums tour first, before the Basilica, because you will end the tour in the Sistene Chapel. From the Chapel, you can exit the back door directly into St. Peter's Basilica, (no later than 4:30 p.m., though). This is a big benefit not to have to go outside and stand in that line.

Here's a thread I started myself: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34818435

I've copied below the first posting I made on that thread. Good luck!

"There have been a lot of posts lately regarding how to get a Vatican Museums tour booked directly with the Vatican. I recently was one of those posters, and was able to successfully get a Museums tour. It was well worth the effort to navigate the Vatican website, fax the request, then anxiously await the last-minute confirmation from the Vatican which arrived just in time.

To make it easier for anyone wanting the information, below is a cut-and-paste from the Vatican's website, regarding Museums tours, with the fax number at the bottom.
(They have recently added a suggestion to include a Rome contact number, which is a good idea on the Vatican's part, and maybe indicates an awareness of the difficulty in using the fax system.)

"Following tours are available:
- Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Vatican Gardens
- Vatican Gardens and Sistine Chapel (just for already formed groups with at least a minimum of 20 participants)

GUIDED TOURS FOR INDIVIDUALS:
VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (2 hours)

The tour itinerary takes visitors through the most significant cultural and religious areas within the Vatican Museums: the Pio Clementino (classical antiquity), the Geographical Maps and Tapestries Galleries (Renaissance art), the Raphael’s Rooms and The Sistine Chapel.

March through October: from Monday through Friday at: 10.30am - 12.00am - 2.00pm; on Saturday at: 10.30am and 11.15am (in Italian only)

From November through February: everyday but Sundays at 10.30a.m.

Rates: full fare € 21.50; reduced € 17.50
The above rates include admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

VATICAN GARDENS (2 hours)
The guided tour of the Vatican Gardens is also a glimpse of the Vatican City State, the smallest independent state in the world: Journey through natural settings, historic monuments and works of art that span its 2000 year history.
From March through October: at 10.00 am on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

From November through February: only on Saturday at 10.00 a.m.

Rates: full fare € 13.50; reduced € 9.50
The above rates include guided tour service and headset.

GUIDED TOURS FOR GROUPS

VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (about 2 hours)

Every weekday with advance reservation

Rates: full fare € 21.50; reduced € 17.50

The above rates include admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

VATICAN GARDENS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (3 hours)

Everyday except on Wednesdays and Sundays, with advance reservation

Rates: full fare € 25.50; reduced € 17.50

The above rates include the admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

VATICAN GARDENS (2 hours)

Everyday except on Wednesdays and Sundays, with advance reservation

Rates: full fare € 13,50; reduced € 9.50

The above rates include guided tour service and headset.

HOW TO RESERVE (FOR INDIVIDUALS)

It is necessary to book in advance by fax.
For the reservation this office requires the names of all the participants to the tour. If we do not receive the list you may not join your requested booked tour. The list must be received at the moment of the reservation.
Bookings are valid only if you receive our confirmation fax.
The fax must be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit. In case of no written reply from this office, the booking is considered not valid.
An advanced booking is needed from one month to one week prior to the date of the visit. The cancellation is accepted, up to 12 hours before the visit.
While asking for the reservation, we appreciate, if possible, a contact number or address in Rome (or Italy).

HOW TO RESERVE (FOR GROUPS)

It is necessary to book in advance by fax.
For the reservation this office requires the names of all the participants to the tour. If we do not receive the list you may not join your requested booked tour. The list must be sent at least 3 days before the booked visit.
Bookings are valid only if you receive our confirmation fax.
The fax must be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit. In case of no written reply from this office, the booking is considered not valid.
An advanced booking is needed from two months to two weeks prior to the date of the visit. The cancellation is accepted without charges up to 48 hours.
While asking for the reservation, we appreciate, if possible, a contact number or address in Rome (or Italy).
In the event the confirmed group does not appear, the Museums nevertheless must require the payment for the reserved guide’s fee of € 80.

USEFUL INFORMATION
Tickets have to be purchased the same day of the guided tour.
Meeting point and departure is from the Guided Tours desk inside the Museums.
To avoid any queue, all visitors, individuals or groups, with reserved guided tour through this Office, are entitled to enter through the main gate of the Museums on Viale Vaticano. Facing the Vatican Museums entrance door, the line on the right is specifically for reserved guided Vatican tours.

We suggest to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment.

Reduced rates for pilgrimages and school groups: on the day of the visit a letter of the parish signed by the local Diocese or from the school signed by the Principal must be presented at the Guided Tours desk.

All the reservations, dates and departures times may be changed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances related to activities of the Holy Father.

Cancelled guided tours may be rescheduled.

Visitors not attired properly will be refused admittance.

OFFICE FOR GUIDED TOURS
Fax reservation : 06 6988 5100

>-

Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM

Thank you MaureenB for such thorough info. I did not post the question, because I am still working on Venice! However, I am just about ready to move to Rome & your info saved me a lot of time.

Julie
Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the best inside travel infomation on the net. After giving this a lot of thought we have decided to go with the ContextRome tours of both the Vatican and Ancient Rome. All of you have been so positive in your reviews of this company, and we feel that if this is to be a once in a lifetime trip, why not go with one of the best. Thanks again all. Richard