New itinerary - Paris - Germany - Copenhagen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just finished an hour-long conversation with Delta and changed our spring itinerary.

We leave Atlanta Mar 29, arrive in Paris Mar 30. (Then 3 nights in Paris - we think at Hotel La Bourdonnais)

April 2 - Paris to Munich; then drive (or take train) to Garmisch. 3 nights in Garmisch (where?)

April 5 - maybe turn in car; train or drive to Munich. 2 nights Munich (where?)

April 7 - early flight to Copenhagen via Amsterdam (the only way we could use sky miles); arrive Copenhagen 11:25 a.m. One day/night in Copenhagen (possibly The Avenue Hotel?)

April 8 - Copenhagen to Atlanta (11 a.m.)
--------------------------------

Does this itinerary sound okay? It was the only way we could do it by using skymiles for 3 tickets.

I am researching hotels in Garmisch and Munich.

Would it be better to rent car in Munich and drive to Garmisch and back to Munich, or would it be better to train back and forth to Garmisch and rent car only while in Garmisch?

We don't know anything about Copenhagen other than the fact that it will be COLD in early April. But it sounds fun, and I'll be doing some research on that city soon.

Anything we've missed? Or any ideas? Thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Samsaf,
I would rent a car to drive from Munich to Garmisch and drive it back to Munich. Without stopping (like that's possible considering the scenery and a lot of interesting places to stop) it takes only 2 to 3 hours at the most. The scenery is beautiful and this gives you a lot more flexability and freedom to see what you want when you want. Sorry, I can't recommend a place to stay in Garmisch, as we have stayed twice in Mittenwald, about 20 minutes south of there. If I can be of help, just ask.

Paul
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM

In Munich, I would rent the car and head to Garmisch. I think it would be easier to get around the area.

Here's what I would do. Arrive Munich and buy a family S-bahn pass and pick up the car in Munich vs. the airport. A lot cheaper. I think it's 17 euro for the 3 of you.

Drive to Garmisch and the area. The car will be the most convenient to get to the castles, and don't forget lunch in Oberammergau. Return the car in Munich (you don't need it for the 2 days there), and take the S-bahn back to the airport.

Others can help with accommodations in Munich/Garmisch, but you could do a search on her for ideas.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, both of you! I think that is what we'll do re renting the car. Budman, do you know a specific pick-up place for the car in Munich that is the best?

Paul, what place do you stay in when you're in Mittenwald? I am saying that we're staying in Garmisch area, but we've also looked at Mittenwald.

Thanks very much.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Check with autoeurope.com. You will have several options. Plug in your dates and chose P/U at airport, D/O at Hauptbahnhof (main train station in Munich), then P/U & D/O at Hauptbahnhof and compare the prices.

Then go on Gemut.com. They are an agent for Autoeurope that I've used several times, and have gotten a better price. They have an 800 number in the States (based on the West Coast, Wash or OR) as does Autoeurope. Compare the prices.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Budman! I will do that today.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Hi Samsaf,
We've stayed twice in the last 2 years at Pension Schwalbennestl. It's not in the old town, but is just a few minutes away overlooking the old town and mountains. While not a luxury accomodation (our room was a bit small and plain), the owner is very nice, the breakfast buffet is good and the views from the balconies are wonderful.
www.schwalbenneastl.de

paul
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Sorry, I typed the website wrong!
www.schwalbennestl.de

Paul
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Paul. I was able to get to the website, but it's only in German. I'll have to get my son to look at it when he gets home today. Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Your welcome,
If you write to them, Frau Bader, the owner, does speak and read some English and her daughter speaks it well. What I'm trying to say is that you can communicate with them via e-mail in English.

Paul
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Hi again,
I find this site very helpful
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
You just type in the website you want to read or type something and have it translated from their menu of languages.

Paul
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
mikeycora

Copenhagen airport was a easy in and out. Take the train to downtown. 15 minute ride. Coming out of the station you will find Tivoli across the street and if you head left the city hall main square is right ahead. A stroll down Stroget was great. A real shopping and sightseeing street. The street is a mile or so. Coming off of Stroget and across a park will lead you to Nyhaven. A great place for a beer and dinner. I think this will give you a feel of a very expense city but great fun to be in. If tivoli is open try to find the time for a visit.