Search

munich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
munich

hi ya, i will be in munich on the 20-04-07 arriving by train from salzburg.i will be flying home on the 26-04-07 from stutgart. i will be renting a car and was wondering if anyone could recomend i itinerary for th trip,
thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM

It depends on what interests you. I would purchase a few guide books: Steve's; Frommer's; D&K; and Lonely Planet. All give a different perspective on the same destinations. You will better able. then, to put together an itinerary. Once you determine where you want to go, then come back to the board and ask opinions of the places you want to go.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I recommend to visit Munich (2 or 3 days), make daytrips to Bavaria (in the south to Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein, Wieskirche; in the north to the Romantic Road towns - Rothenburg, Dinkelsbühl), maybe visit Nürnberg and Würzburg.

If you like modern art and/or automobiles you may stay for a day in Stuttgart. Driving time form München to Stuttgart is about 2 hours.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM

First, loose the car! You certainly will not need it in Munich. The public transportation in Munich is excellent. A car will be a hindrance there. There are a lot of side trips you can do from Munich (Füssen, Garmisch, Wieskirche, Oberammergau, Rothenburg) but they are all too expensive by car. Go by train.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the help.
i am unsure why it would be more expensive hiring a car. is there toll charges or expensive parking costs? i have looked on www.bahn.de and train prices start to add up once you start putting a few trips together, is there a saver ticket that i am unaware of?
forgot to put the interest before, we are looking for cosy villages/citys with a old culture feel to them, something typically bavarian. it was mentioned that bamberg is the jewel of bavaria, would this be possible to drive from munich and how long?
all ideas are welcome, the only structure to the trip is that i will be starting in munich on the 20/04 and ending 26/04 in stuttgart, looking probably at car but if any better ideas for th train then that can be apossability.
hope that all makes sense
thank you
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:39 AM
ira

Hi LL,

Will you be spending any time in Munich?

Visit Dachau.

See the Castles at Fuessen, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof.

See Oberammergau and the church at Wies.

Check out the Romantic Road,
www.romanticroad.com/default.htm#index

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 04:06 AM

The possible "problem" with having a car in Munich is often finding a place to park it.

As was mentioned above, you'd have no trouble getting around Munich itself (to include the possible trip to Dachau) by U-Bahn-S-Bahn.

To go to the castles near Fuessen you can go by rail and then take local transport (taxi or bus) to the castles but if you wanted to doo all the castles in that area having a car would be more convenient <b>for that</b>.

Someone here will probably tell you about the Bayern Train ticket which can save you some money.

When you do your car-train comparison, please do not forget to add in the cost of possible car insurance, fuel, and parking charges (not to mention the possible parking hassles).
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM

<i>Someone here will probably tell you about the Bayern Train ticket which can save you some money.</i>

I suppose that can be me....

The German rail line offers very affordable tickets for traveling within individual states (Lander), such as Bavaria (Bayern), with up to a group of 5 people travelling together. The cost for a Bayern Lander pass is Euro 27.00 - 29.00. There are some restrictions - second class only, travel starts after 9:00 am, and is limited to the slower regional trains. None the less, with some planning, these restrictions should not be a problem.

Go to www.bahn.de Click on Internat. Guests (red tool bar). Under &quot;Planning your journey&quot; click on &quot;Offers for Travellers in Germany&quot;. Then click on &quot;Regional Tickets&quot; and you will find the info about Lander tickets as well as the Happy-Weekend Ticket.

Here is a map for the rail line in Bavaria, so you can see what territory is covered (does not include Stuttgart)

http://www.bayern-takt.de/htdocs/bahnkarte.htm

Here is the link for finding your rail itinerary -

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I hope this helps in your planning. Peace, Robyn &gt;-
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

thank you all very much, (especially the links) have given me plenty to work with. will plough through all the possilities and comeback with some positive feedback.
in responce to the question how many days will you be in munich, i am not sure but will definatly be there on the 20-04 as that is the beging of the spring festival.
many thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM

&gt;beging of the spring festival
Good choice! The Freibier will be served on Freitag, 20. April, 14.30 Uhr. Prost!