Car rental in Munich

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in Munich

It's been many years since I've rented a car in Europe. I will need one in Munich, in September, for 12 days. We will be driving in Germany, CR, and possibly Austria.

Any tips for saving money? Any particular company you recommend?

Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Usually I go to AutoEurope but someone suggested Hertz not long ago on this Forum and I've found that with my AAA discount, Hertz is cheaper.

Will you really need a car in Munich or to rent one in Munich to drive out of Munich?
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

We've used and can recommend www.gemut.com (800.521.6722).

Paul
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Will check out these options.

LSky, we will be staying with friends outside of Munich, and would prefer to lease the car at the airport so as not to inconvenience them to pick us up. I imagine we will take public transportation in and around Munich, using the car for day trips and our side trip to Cesky Krumlov and Prague.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM

This was some years ago, but we rented form Hertz at the Munich Airport (which is quite a way outside Munich). Very easy as they are right on the first level of the airport - good signage. Service was excellent! But ask how to put the car in reverse before you leave the airport! We had a bit of an adventure circling around until we found a friendly car dealer to show us how to work the reverse.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thankis, jmphilly! Most certainly, will do!
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Iregeo,

You will pay a premium for renting at the airport but IMHO worth the convenience.

Bob Bestor at gemut.com is great to do business with and if you find a better deal they will usually match it.

Enjoy your trip
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Hertz says on their website that their rate includes taxes, location service charge and registration fee.

Don't take my word for it, check out the website. Frankly, I was surprised. There best deals, that I've found, are with the AAA discount and the "pay now" option.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I use kemwel.com, a sister-company of autoeurope.com

As mentioned above, you will pay a large fee for airport pickup. Best to find the closest off-airport pickup location and take a taxi there. You can still drop at the airport for no additional fee.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM

I would also highly recommend Bob Bestor at gemut.com, and I rented from his company a few years ago. Bob recently sent customers a newsletter with a PDF guide to car rental that provides incredible detail about renting a car--what to watch out for, renting in one country vs. another if you have flexibility, CDW advice, etc. I've rented and leased in Europe on a number of trips, but I found that Bob's guide is very helpful. I've just sent a request to him about renting a car our of Zurich for an upcoming trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi Ir,

For Munich, I would recommend gemut.com, autoeurope.com and sixt.com, in that order.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM

along the same vein, has anyone experienced problems taking cars out of country? for example, is it possible to rent in Munich, travel through Austria and drop in the Czech Rep? Iregeo - hope you don't think I'm highjacking your post - just sounds like we're planning similar trips!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Czech Rep is in most cases not allowed with more expensive cars. You have to ask them before you rent. Austria is no problem at all. Dropping in another country than you rented will result in havy surcharges.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi all. A very different experience has arisen for me. Our friends in Munich are taking care of renting our car for us. I am not privy to any of the details...company, type of car, etc. IOW, I am, at this point, clueless! I will of course report back regarding the whole experience.

Thanks for your input. And jujubean, no problem at all. When are you going?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Irego,

we are in the very early stages of planning to go at Christmas. I am calculating budget numbers for a few possible trips and am fighting the family(very large)about being gone from our usual Christmas festivities - lots of pressure to stay home...

Maybe your friends have a rental connection that most of us can only dream of - lucky you!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

jujubean, we leave this week. Hopefully, I will do a trip report which may be helpful to your planning.

I know what you're going through regarding family...we are going away at Thanksgiving for the specific purpose of getting away from the usual festivities

Finally, the one thing I am pretty sure our friends have, that most of us can only dream of, is copius amounts of money! While Dear Friend is booking the car, we are paying. I wonder what we'll get!!

Anyway, will certainly pass along any good deal tips if I get them.