Traveling to Germany for 3 weeks this July

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted months ago and my itinerary was too vague to receive much help so I'm trying again with firm dates and specific questions.

My family will be traveling to Germany for 3 weeks, starting off in Berlin for 5 nights
July 2 - 7.

Q1. I was wondering if the 3 day Berlin Pass is a good idea. I like the prepaid public transportation part and admission to many museums. What should I do about using public transportation for the remaining 2 days.

I would like to rent a car on July 7 and travel Wurtzburg to see some relatives and be able to stop along the way.

Q2. Any suggestions on car rentals? I checked out Sixt car rental and they had a per day charge for "Premium Location fee" what's that all about?

We will be arriving in Munich on the 11th for 3 days. I was told to be here on a weekend.

Q3. I've heard about a nice hotel that has a subway station right underneath it. But I don't have a name. Any ideas???
Q4. Are there free places to park? This is the only time I'm worried about having a car. If I have to pay for parking how much should I expect to pay?

On the 14th I'll be heading to Erding for 3 nights. I'll be exploring the area from here.

Q5. I would appreciate any suggestions for sights to see. Are there areas to avoid?

Plans to visit Salzburg and Garmish will end our trip before we fly home on the 22nd from Munich.

Q6. How many days should I allow for these 2 locations?

I'm traveling with 2 of my teenage daughters until Munich. My oldest will be finishing up an exchange trip and join us for the last week.

Can't wait to go!!!! ~ Mama Graz
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Q2 - check out autoeurope.com for car rentals

There are lots of Germany experts who can give you good advice. I'm no expert but have traveled several times in Germany, so here are my thoughts:

Your itinerary seems to backtrack somewhat. For instance, Erding is practically at Munich airport from which you'll depart. Why not explore Erding just before departing? And Erding is only an S-bahn ride away from Munich city center. If it were me, I would explore Salzberg and Garmish after Wurzberg, returning the car at Garmish,* train to Munich,* explore Munich (you don't want or need a car there) then train/s-bahn to Erding to fly out.

* alternative - return car to Munich airport, airport bus into Munich

Q4 - See comment above

Q5 - Not familiar with sights in and around Erding other than near the airport

Q6 - Minimum 2 full days in Salzberg and 1 day in Garmish

Sounds like a really nice trip. Have fun!
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Q1. I've found Berlin to be a walkable. Why not go see the things that are out of center first then, after the pass runs walk and buy day passes. Transportation is relatively inexpensive.

Q2. Check out AutoEurope and Kemwel they offer good prices. Also, if you'll be dropping a car off in a different city make sure you understand what the drop off fee will cost. You may want to check with a company like Hertz so you will understand the total bill before you decide.

Q3 dk

Q4 crckwc1 gave a good answer. I dislike driving in large cities so I try to dump the car when I get there.
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM

The Munich/Erding days are really a bit odd.
You have suburban trains between Erding and Munich every 20 minutes, till midnight or later.
It's still in normal commuting distance, and the suburban trains go through the crosstown tunnel and call right in the historic city center at Marienplatz.

So,as you want to be in Erding anyway, you could stay there the whole 5 or 6 nights you planned for Munich + Erding, park your car for free at your Erding hotel. And use the Park & Ride lots in case the Erding hotel is not close to the S-Bahn station.

Is there a reason why you want to be in Munich specifically on a weekend? Saturdays are a zoo downtown with all the shopping in the pedestrian area. And Sundays the stores are closed.
Monday would be a problem with museums as in many cities, but otherwise I cannot see why you need to be here on a weekend.

Public parking in central Munich costs around 3-4 euro per hour with usually a daily cap of 20-25 euro per 24hrs.

Garmisch (or rather Linderhof palace, Ettal monastery, maybe also Mittenwald) is a typical day trip from Munich. Salzburg as well, but 1night/2 days can be filled easily.
Old May 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

The stop in Munich is necessary to pick up my other daughter. She's on a student exchange and that ends on the 14th. I'll look to see if I can go to Erding earlier and travel in by train to pick her up. I didn't know I would be so close. I'd rather not have the car in the city.

Thanks everyone for your help. Please continue to post if you have any more recommendations.
Old May 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM

One thing you might not be aware of: the World Cup.

Between the 4th and the 9th of July the quarter- and semi-finals are played and on the 13th the final.

This is big in Germany no matter who plays. But if Germany plays in one of these games, it's huge. Expect that some of your plans will be disrupted on a day Germany plays. But on the other hand it'll be an experience. I'd recommend to go there even if it's one of the late games starting at 10pm.
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:32 PM

We used gemut.com for our German car rental last year and were very pleased with the price and service.
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I beg to differ re. the World Cup.
It will be played in Brazil - and that is a few kms from Munich
The major "disruptions" you will experience will be people congregating in public places to watch the matches on big screens. Or in beer gardens or any pub or cafe.
But it will have no impact on public transport or the ease to go from A to B.