Need quick help with Lyon hotel

Nov 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Need quick help with Lyon hotel

Short version: What's a good hotel in the Presquille area of Lyon (center of town between the two rivers) in the 100 to 150 euro range (175 to 200 if nothing decent available at that level) ? We'll need one double and one single room.

Full explanation: After getting responses here that Annecy might not be a great place to spend NYEve as I had intended, I did more research on Annecy in winter and have decided it's unlikely to be a very good place at all to spend 4 days at that time of year as I was planning. Thanks to those who steered me away from it, nice as it may have been when I was there in warmer weather.

So I've regrouped and decided to go from Chamonix (where son will ski) to Lyon for 3 days before returning to Geneva to fly home to FLL. Hence we'll be in Lyon from Dec. 30 to Jan. 2.

I would prefer to stay in the Presquille area between the two rivers. We previously stayed at the Hotel Des Artistes which had nice enough public rooms but whose guest rooms were pretty spartan. I'd like to find an alternative. Many of the references to Lyon hotels on this site and even on Trip Advisor are vintage 2007 or even earlier. I'd like some first hand, more current info. So I'd really like to hear from anyone who can give opinions from a more recent stay at Hotel Le Royal Lyon, Mercure Carleton, Globe et Cecil, Des Artistes (maybe the rooms have been renovated since I was there in 2005), GH Terreaux and La Residence--or any others in the area.

I'd also really like to hear from anyone who's ever spent NYEve in Lyon. Anything special to do? the tourist office site doesn't seem to show anything.

Thanks for any help you can give me in making this last minute (for me, at least) switch.
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM

I'm planning to go to Lyon next year too. I hope you get some good responses.
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I had a junior suite at Le Royal Lyon 2 years ago. It had living room (we had baby cots added), bedroom, 2 bathrooms, and 2 small balconies. The common areas are fairly nice and the room was clean and modern but not lavish (it did have a minibar/refrigerator I know that we stored milk in for kids). I don't recall using any services other than help with luggage, but there was always someone at the desk eager to assist.

The hotel had recently been purchased by Paul Bocuse. We didn't eat there, and I'm not even sure there was a full-service restaurant in the hotel.

The location is excellent on the SE (I think) corner of Place Bellecour; easy walk to most sites and about 2 minutes from the Bellecour metro.
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Josh. I don't suppose that there was a door between the living room and the bedroom by chance? If so, that would be perfect for us.
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Julie,
I believe there was; our kids were 2 & 3 at the time so we didn't close it. The doorway between rooms was of a normal door-size, and I'm quite certain there was a working door as well. BTW, it was Sept 2008 when we stayed there, not 2007 as I originally thought.

Suzanne,
We usually prefer Cour des Loges in Vieux Lyon and have stayed there 5-6 times in the past. It's quirky but beautiful and the good outweighs the not-so-good in my book. Check out http://www.courdesloges.com/ and tripadvisor.
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Josh, I've booked at the Royal Lyon via Booking.com.on the flexible option which permits you to cancel up until the day before. Glad we took that option with the booking I'd already made in Annecy. We're now set for our New Year holiday--thanks to Fodorites for warning me against Annecy as a winter destination and to you, Josh, for recommending a hotel option in Lyon that looks really swell.
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM

In response to the part of your post asking about anything special to do, I know that the Lyonnais (and French in general) usually spend New Year's Eve at home with family or friends, so not much major, public activity goes on outside of Paris, unless you count setting fire to cars and setting off fireworks in housing estates as such...

However, if you do go out, make sure you're in a bar/pub as midnight strikes as the tradition of kissing all and sundry and wishing them a happy new year ("bonne année" - should you need it) is also a french custom. It won't be many people who can say they were kissed by upwards of 50 French women/men in a single night and still go home with their dignity in tact. Hope you have fun!
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jay. We're practicing puckering. Or do they just do the air kiss stuff for the NYEve smooch too?
Nov 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Before my trip to Lyon several years ago, I researched hotels like crazy, and ended up at the Hotel des Artistes. You called the rooms "pretty spartan" - I'd say shockingly spartan, and tiny! I was solo, thank goodness, but couldn't even find any place to put my suitcase. The location was fine, and convenient, but I'd never stay there again (and I'm not a really "picky" person!). Frankly, I didn't like the looks of any of the Lyon hotels I saw - and there were negative comments on Trip Advisor, etc. about many of them. Good luck.

P.S. But I DID like Lyon.
Nov 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Sue4. My sentiments exactly. We booked at Royal Lyon and I'm pretty satisfied that we probably selected the best of what's available without breaking the bank. I really don't understand why a swell city like Lyon is so hotel poor.
Nov 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Julie, hope you'll like the Royal Lyon. Be sure to let us know after your trip. By the way, I've really enjoyed some of your past trip reports!