Need opinion on Paris apartment please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at sooo many apartments, and think I have decided on this one...any thoughts/opinions before I commit to booking it would be wonderful. Thanks!

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1048680a
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM

6th floor, (7 US) without an elevator? Not for me
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:38 AM

Looks lovely but the 7th floor w/o elevator--that's a lotta steps. Would that be ok for your family?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:53 AM

I liked this line in the description: You must visit the shop “A la mère de famille,” with candy, chocolate in winter, and ice cream in the summer. It helps you climb the stairs.

I'd say if you can handle the stairs, go for it. Two bedrooms for your family is nice, the price is good, the place is cute and the location is near where we stayed when we visited Paris and it worked out great.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM

There is no way i would haul luggage and groceries - or even myself up 7 flights of stairs.

there are a million apts in Paris - suggest you find one with fewer stairs or an elevator.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM

It's a lovely place in a great location but... You don't mention the time of year you'll be there and there's no indication of air conditioning which could be an issue on the top floor in warm months. And along with the previous posters, the lack of an elevator and six flights of stairs would be a deal killer for me. Invigorating the first couple times but after a day or two of walking all over Paris the novelty would wear off.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Being on the 6th floor {American 7th ) without an elevator is a definite deal breaker.
Keep looking you can do better.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:03 PM

If you love everything else about the apt., I would say go for it, as long as you think you can handle the stairs. We've lived in Europe for almost 3 years now, and we are less afraid of stairs than we used to be. Not toy I wouldn't prefer a lift...but our last Paris apt was on the 5th floor and we had to lug our stroller up and down as well. Sure, it is a pain, and not ideal, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Just a (major or minor) inconvenience.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM

As long as you look at the stairs as "free" exercise, you'll be fine. Walk up those stairs and think about how good your backside will look
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM

okay, I hate to be negative but of all the websites and places you've looked at, I'm surprised this is what you've settled on. Yes, it is big and looks "okay" mostly, and the price is only 150 euro so that's not too bad. Area is okay also and not too far from a metro stop, but that street isn't that great (the Folies Bergere is just about a block away, by the way, to the east).

I wouldn't be crazy about the geographic area nor that loft bedroom that involves going up narrow stairs. It appears the bathroom is on the main floor, of course. I would not want to go up and down those stairs if I needed a bathroom. I'm not clear on the age of your child (if you are going with a child), but if young, you might not want to be that far apart at night. I'd also be careful about those stairs with a young child. I know you don't need AC, so that's obviously not an issue, and it's up to you on the 6th floor thing. It's mainly a problem upon arriving with the luggage, for me. I never carry huge amounts of groceries when I rent a vacation apt (I don't cook, a few bottles of wine, some coffee, etc. are it for me), but I don't think that's a major issue. Of course if you have a child with a bunch of paraphernalia, that would also be a consideration without an elevator.

I'd be leery also because no one has ever reviewed that place.

Ultimately, you know about all these things from looking at it, though, but I would give thought to the bedroom up in that loft away from the bathroom (and no shower at all in the bathtub, it appears to me, maybe I missed it). I mean not even a hook on the wall where people hang the spray nozzle when turning a bathtub into a shower. Maybe you don't care about showers, though, but that would be a dealbreaker for me, along with the bedroom up in a loft.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM

Her kids are 13 and 15, and budget is a concern. For her, I think it's very important to have enough space, so that second bedroom is a must (also I believe she's meeting her husband who is currently deployed, so they're going to want some alone time). The bathtub issue, well we stayed a week in Aix in a bathtub with a handheld shower and no place to hang it and we all adapted just fine. Plus looking at the bathroom picture it's not even clear that's the case here, the way the wall is a bit set back I don't think you can actually see where the hook would be. I know when I was looking for apartments once you needed a second bedroom there were a lot fewer affordable options. Maybe it's not the most perfectest apartment ever, but it's for a week, she's not relocating there. Probably the quirks will just be charming. And her kids can schlep their own stuff so that's one less thing to worry about.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM
cw

The description of the bathroom says there is a shower.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
size/amenities for the price is very good. The 6 flights of stairs wouldn't have phased me at 25 - but now I don't think I could manage. Once a day OK -- but w/ likely multiple treks up and down I'd hate it.

If you are all very fit - and it seems like you may be . . . then it is plenty large enough and you may not do better for the price.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the responses! I honestly did love the quirkiness of this place, and we are a very fit family, so the stairs are not the biggest issue. I did like the price on this apartment, it was $1000 less than the others that made our short list, however I have since been looking at even more and may end up not going with this one after all. The fact that there are no reviews did concern me a bit and now that someone pointed out that this may not be the greatest neighborhood, has me doubting my choice. Back to my search..thanks again!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM

As for the area, I stayed a week at a hotel about a block south of the Folies Bergere. Every day that I looked off my balcony, to the right, the sign was right there. I found my area fine and quiet and there was a nice bakery on the same street and plenty of food places nearby. Plus, the metro wasn't that far away.

As for the apartment, it looks quite decent. And I figure that you are fine with the stairs or else you wouldn't have considered it. I have to do at least that many flights of stairs a day and four flights straight lugging a very heavy briefcase, backpack, handbag, tote bag, and wheeled cart and I'm in my late 50s. Plus, I do stairs at my residence as there's no elevator. So, it's all in what one's used to.

As for there being no reviews on the apartment, I booked my perfect Paris apartment when there were no reviews on it and it turned out great. Sometimes one just has to go with one's gut. Good luck with your search.

Happy Travels!