Need lodging advice in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling through Ireland in July for two weeks. Now that the itinerary is set we need some accommodation recommendations for the following stays:
Galway City (in and around)
Killarney
Dingle
Kenmare
Kinsale
Cork City
Wicklow Mountains / Glenalough
We prefer B&Bs and smaller hotels. Any information is welcome.
Thank you.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Here are my reviews of places we stayed at in some of the places you are looking for: ( we were there in April of 2003)

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34414657
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:38 AM

We drove thru Cork on the way to Kinsale, and the stench of the Murphy's brewery was terrible.

I would either spend 2 days in Dingle or 2 days in Kinsale.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:13 AM

We enjoyed the Hunters Hotel in the Wicklow area 2 yrs ago. They have a website that is pretty accurate.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM

we used the town and country book to select b&b's. Their website is townandcountry.ie.

In Killarney, we stayed at Redwoods. A nice new b&B on several acres just outside town
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM

In the Wicklow area, we really enjoyed the Tudor Lodge in Laragh. One of the nicer B&Bs I've ever stayed in.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM

Also in Wicklow: Enniskerry, which is a lovely town, there is a hotel called Powerscourt Arms Hotel. It's not fancy, but the staff is just incredible (at least they were in 1998) and the restaurant's good. Oh, and the rates are decent, too.
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Lewisg,

In Kenmare, we stayed at Virginia's Guesthouse. It's a lovely new place - right in the middle of town. The rates were good. The breakfast there was definitely one of the best! And they had power showers - nice for a change... Don't have contact details on me just now, but I'll be online again tomorrow and will pop them up for you. Can't give you advice on any of the other places I'm afraid...
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Hi Lewis,

Me again.. I found contact details of Virginia's Guesthouse in Kenmare. Web:www.virginias-kenmare.com. E-mail: [email protected]. Hope you have a wonderful trip and that I have been some help.

Katy
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:48 PM

We just returned from a 10 day holiday to Ireland on 5/28. We stayed at a several very nice B&B's. Just outside of Galway City in Salthill, we stayed at Carrig Beag on Knocknacarra Road (#091 521696). The rooms were spacious, the breakfast delicious, and the hostess, Mrs. Lydon, very hospitable and knowledgeable about the area. It's a short drive from Carrig Beag to the pedestrian area of Quay Street in Galway with all of its shops and restaurants, yet out of the hussle & bussle of Galway City itself. In Kenmare, we stayed at another noteworthy B&B: Riverville House(#64- 41775). Again, the rooms were spacious, the showers warm and the breakfast fantastic - especially the sampler of Irish farmhouse cheeses. The home is warm and inviting and the hostess, Margaret, very friendly and pleasant. We will surely revisit these B&B's upon our next trip to the Emerald Isle. Enjoy your vacation!

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM

Message: We stayed at Heaton's Guesthouse in Dingle last month and it was by far the BEST B&B we stayed at in all of Ireland, Wales or England! Unfortunately because it was at the beginning of the trip it was the standard that no other could hold up to. The room was very large in comparision to any other B&B - the breakfasts were by far the best we had and the owners were so helpful and charming! Be sure to have the porriage with the Drambuie! We are already planning our next trip to Dingle and will be staying here again! It may not be in the center of town, but what lovely views of the water you have! Parking lot is provided, a walk to town, or very short drive - don't make any mistakes and go to Heaton's!

In Kinsale we stayed at the Old Bank House - it was okay - pricey - I'm not sure we'd stay there again.