Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help!! Going to Ireland and have questions

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Jason

This is a repost of my previous question with some changes. Any help fom experienced travelers would be welcomed.
Here is the trip as it stands now. Is this realistic? Better options?

October 9, 10 Dublin Wynns Hotel-Abbey St.
-Walk the city,see the sights, etc.

October 11 Drove to Waterford with stops along the way. Stay in B&B?
October 12 Drive to COrk
October 12,13 Cork with trips to Killarney, Blarney, and others - stay at Hotel Issacs
October 14- Drive to Killkenny with stops in Cashel and Cahir stay in B7B in Kilkenny
October 15- Drive to Dublin
October 16- Flight home

Thanks for any help

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:01 PM
cd

Jason
IMHO you're missing the best part of Ireland by not going to the West Coast. IE: Dingle Peninsula,Conor Pass, Slea Head, Clifs of Moher, the small town of Doolin by the sea, etc.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:07 PM
carmen

I'd use Killarney as a base rather than Cork...stopping there and at Blarney on your way if those are important to you.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
bill

I agree with cd. I would suggest a complete replan. Having been to all of those places, I would skip Waterford and probably go to Kilkenny on the way south. I also probably wouldn't spend the first two days in Dublin, but that's me.

I agree to use the Killarney AREA as a base. Stay in Kenmare. It's a great little town. If you need to stay in a hotel, there are a couple of beautiful ones there. Still, the B&B's are wonderful. Something in between would be the Tahilla Cove guesthouse. I stayed there for three days this year and it offers most the amenities of a hotel with the personal service of a B&B. Yes, it's a splurge, but I thought it was worth it. It is between Kenmare and Sneem. From there you can easily do the Ring of Kerry, Beara or Dingle.

All that said, it seems everyone wants to just go to the SW of Ireland. There is soooo much more to see.

Bill

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:19 AM
happy

We just got back from a week in Ireland. If we could do it all over again I would not drive as much as we did! It takes forever to get anyplace and the roads beat you to death! We even spent two nights in each town but it seemed like getting anyplace took a whole day! We only drove through Cork to get to Kinsale...then on to Dingle. Dingle was wonderful. A good base...We also loved Cashel. (but you have to love history!) It's hard to decide...but "less is more"! I think you improve the quality of your trip when you see less of Irreland! Unless of course you enjoy spending hours and hours in your tiny vibrating box watching the green go by!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Sasha

Agree re Cashel - I drive through it every year on my way to Cork to see friends & wouldn't dream of staying there - maybe lots of history but little else IMO.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:52 PM
gogoellen

Well, that's the whole point, you drive through Cashel on your way to see friends. What are you in Ireland for????Shopping? History?? It really depends on what you are there for! My 16 year old found Cashel a little boring after 2 hours, my husband and I found it a high point of our trip...Why??? Just in Ireland and interested in different things!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Joellyn

Do not waste your time in Cork, it is not worth seeing when there are so many other wonderful and beautiful things to see in Ireland. (I found it to be a boring sort of industry driven) As someone mentioned on top, the west coast is breathtaking and should not be missed. Our favorite time in the country by far were the Aaron Islands (spelling may be incorrect) they are a must see in my opinion. Hope you enjoy the journey no matter what.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Kevin

You spent time on the Aran Islands, and you can't even spell it?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
find someone

Kevin:

Your incredulity is noted. Now go away.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:27 AM
bill

Jason:

Changed your plans yet or sticking with the original. Let me know

Bill