Hong Kong restaurants!

Jun 30th, 2002, 04:00 AM
paula

Hong Kong restaurants!

Yes I know its the wrong forum but I don't think anyone reads the Asia board. There seems to be about 2 new posts a day. I know many of you lot are well travelled so maybe you can help.I'm looking for a restaurant for a special occasion. I would like somewhere well known for local food. It does not have to be in luxurious surroundings- just serve great food! We only have 3 days there so it's probably not long enough to do our own finding out. BTW we leave in 2 days time. I really hope you can help!!!!

Jun 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Dave

We had excellent dinners at Vong's (expensive) and SoHo SoHo (moderate).

Jun 30th, 2002, 09:49 AM
paula

Thank you Dave.

Jun 30th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Jon

Paula,
Will you be on the HK side or Kowloon?
j.

Jun 30th, 2002, 12:30 PM
paula

Jon
we are on Hong Kong Island(Causeway Bay), close to the World Trade Shopping Centre.

Jun 30th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Grandma

If you like dim sum, try to visit the restaurant in City Hall. Tis on the second floor ( I think). City Hall is in Central down near the ferry to and from Kowloon. Very popular, you'll have to take a number and wait,probably; but was worth it for us!

Jul 1st, 2002, 07:28 AM
claire

For a really special outing, Felix at the top of the tower at the Peninsula Hotel (Kowloon) has excellent food and a spectacular view. (It may not be the most convenient location for you, but riding the Star Ferry at night is a treat, too.) (And I second the City Hall recommendation for dim sum. Yum.)

Jul 1st, 2002, 02:56 PM
topper

up

Jul 1st, 2002, 03:07 PM
paula

I take back what I said about the Asia forum. Between the Asia and Europe forums I have had so much help. Fodors people are the best! I have noted all the recommendations and will try some of them. Since my original post I have changed my plans and lengthened my stay so I have more time to sample the food!
I am packed and leaving in the morning.Can't wait!

Jul 1st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Rich

Also, if you are adventurous, there is a food court street, close to Victoria Park, maybe a couple of blocks. For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the street but it has a couple of dozen restaurants on either side of a street that has been blocked off for traffic. Various ethnic themes and all were good. If you stumble on it, the variety is great and so is the food!

Rich

Jul 1st, 2002, 03:57 PM
paula

Rich
Do I know you? You are not from Scotland are you?

Jul 1st, 2002, 04:58 PM
Rich

Paula, not from Scotland, although have spent time in Aberdeen. I'm pretty much a Yank, even though I have spent more time outside the US than in it.

Wish I could remember the name of that street, but I can't even find my map of Hong Kong right now.

Rich

Jul 1st, 2002, 10:25 PM
paula

Rich
i'm from Aberdeen!! Not in the restaurant trade are you by any chance?

Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:31 AM
Rich

Paula, not in the trade but sure have eaten at a lot of them. Semi-Retired now, but spent 35 years chasing oil around the world. Sure led to some interesting places, not the least among them - Aberdeen for a while.

Going to Hong Kong on business or pleasure? . . It is one of my favorite places in that part of the world. Used it for R&R while in Indonesia and Malasia.

Enjoy your trip . . Rich

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:38 PM
topper

Back yet?

Jul 24th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Rich

Have you returned? . . How was the trip?

Rich

Jul 24th, 2002, 06:13 AM
paula

just returned(HK was the first stop of a hectic itinery) Had a great time! Wouldn't recommend a visit at this time of the year though as it is far too humid! Favourite restaurant was The Red Pepper in lan Fong Road.Also enjoyed Banana Leaf Curry House for more simple food.

Jul 24th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Rich

Did you find/try the litte street near Victoria Park? . . Just wondering if it is still there. We may be out that way next spring.

Rich

Jul 24th, 2002, 07:55 AM
paula

I think the street you mean ran parallel to the one that Red Pepper was on. However, although little, I don't think it was blocked off to traffic anymore.

Jul 24th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Rich

Could be . . I recall that some of the places on the "Food Street" also had entrances on the street over. We had several good meals there and I am looking forward to revisiting Hong Kong.

Rich