Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong 2 or 3 day stopover...help me plan it!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping to get some help from all you great travelers!
This late March my husband and I are planning on stopping in Hong Kong for 2 or 3 days on our way to Singapore (our son is studying in Singapore for the semester). We've never been to that part of the world.
Can you help us with what we should see/do in a couple of days there? Should we consider seeing anything outside of HK as well? Are 2 full days enough? 3?
Has anyone had any experience with a private tour guide?(please tell me from what company!)
All help will be appreciated.
I'll post another message under Singapore for info there---but our son will be the main attraction/ tour guide for 4 days, then we'll explore more on our own.
If you can help.....thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Two or three days will give you just a glimpse of Hong Kong. Don't try to do anything outside of Hong Kong in that very limited time. If you had a week, I'd suggest a daytrip to Macao.

You'll enjoy just walking around and absorbing the atmosphere of Hong Kong. Do make a trip to the peak (take the tram) and walk the loop on the top (about an hour). You'll want to ride on the Star Ferry and walk along the promenade on the Kowloon side, enjoying the view of Hong Kong (also plan to be in that area at 8 pm for the light show).

There is, of course, wonderful food and interesting shopping. I always enjoy the parks in Hong Kong. I think they are some of the best-planned and most used urban parks in the world.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM

One day Hong Kong Island (Peak, Repulse Bay, Stanley, Aberdeen).

One day Kowloon and New Territories (bird/flower markets, museums, walled villages).

One day Lantau (Po Lin Monastery/Big Buddha, Tai O).

Walk around and night markets every evening.

If you have 4 days, then perhaps day-trip to Macau.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM

BTW, lots of posts on similar questions on this board. Do a search on "Hong Kong" here. You'll get a lot of results, scroll down (and onto next pages) for some relevant posts.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Agree with the above suggestions but do not organise a guide! Hong Kong is easy and safe to get around and you can enjoy it on your own. There is a lot of info on Hong Kong on this board already...check it out and have a great time!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! Seems you are all in agreement
I've been reading so many posts about this...rkkwan, you contributed so-o-o much.(good!)Kathie and peteralan, you've all given me more confidence towards this trip...thanks to all.
I got a guide book too, so now i'll really have fun with the plans. I may come back to you all for more specific details.
I read on one post about someone getting nauseous going up the tram to the peak???? Is this common for us sensitive folks...haha? Is there another way to get up there? Walking trail? (We are big walkers.)
Also, have read the same about double decker buses to Stanley Beach area.
Tell me the truth rkkwan!
Oh, yeah....you ALL think a guide NOT worth it?
I'm getting excited!!!! Bye...got to get back to reading
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM

The tram ride is only about 6 minutes long, and I think most people don't have any problems. Make sure you look outside, and not inside the tram. The highrises outside may even look slanted, but that's normal.

Other means of getting to the peak include:

- Bus #15
- Minibus #1
- Taxi (maybe HK$80?)
- Walk (quite strenous uphill, about 50 minutes; down in 25 steep minutes)
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I can handle 6 min. No problem! I'll see how the weather is and might consider walking down.
Thanks rkkwan.
I'm still exploring sites and my guide books
Thanks for tips!