Need Lisbon hotel advice please.

Jun 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Need Lisbon hotel advice please.

We'll be in Lisbon for a few days in September for a conference. The conference organizers have listed three hotels for us to consider. Of course we can stay anywhere we want but when the organizers suggest hotels it's usually because they're a) cheap enough for academics and grad students, b) near the conference venue or c) near the airport.

I've browsed here a bit but haven't seen any of these:
- Hotel NH Campo Grande (not sure about the neighbourhood re interesting, etc)
- VIP Executive Villa Rica (looks the nicest; near university and the Gubenkian Museum -- have no idea what that is but it's noted somewhere)
- Sana Metropolitan Lisboa (near the airport, I believe, so I'm not interested)

We'll be staying on for a few days after the conference and I don't really want to move hotels but would like one that's at least easy for transportation to interesting neighbourhoods.

Opinions, please?
gtg
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM

GTG,

We (four couples) stayed at the Sana Lisboa last October, and were very pleased with it.

It is a "business" type hotel, but it is very nice, and the location convenient to transportation. Marques de Pombal Square with its metro station is about a block's walk .

We loved our four busy days in Lisbon and environs, and hope to return.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/sana...FQLHsgodx1wh4g

By the way, the included breakfast was excellent (with Champagne) and there is an ice machine on every floor, whicih pleased some of our group!

Byrd
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Olissippo Lapa Palace is a very nice hotel in a residential neighborhood. If you can book through Virtuoso, FHR, or Signature, you'll receive an upgrade at booking, free daily breakfast by room service or at the buffet - and even more amenities with a three night stay (roundtrip airport transfers, complimentary 3 course dinner for two).
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Byrd! That's the same as the Sana Metropolitan Lisboa? I don't know where I got the idea it was near the airport.

I'm fine with a business type hotel for this trip -- convenient and clean is what we're looking for. While my SO is in conference sessions, I'll be out and about in the city so I want to be able to get around easily.

Did you write a trip report?
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you too, travelhorizons. For this trip, though, we're going to stay with one of the the conference-suggestion hotels.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Just a heads up -- there are several Sana hotels in Lisbon -- the Sana Metropolitan is different than the Sana Lisboa. The Metropolitan is very close to the Universidade de Lisboa and the Cidade Universitaria metro stop. Both are modern and comfortable, though the Sana Lisboa is better located for tourists, IMO. But with the metro so close, it's very easy to get anywhere.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM

goddesstogo. These hotels are located more in the business area of Lisbon than in the tourist area. That is probably why people here have not reported on them.

If I were you I would stay in the one that is most convenient to public transportation as Laurie suggests. Because most of the things you will want to see in Lisbon will probably not be near these hotels but the metro system in Lisbon is very easy to navigate and the tourist core of Lisbon is relatively small. Also. Taxis are very reasonable. You could suppliment the metro with a taxi ride and really not spend a lot.
Have a great trip.