*Locanda San Barnaba
*La Calcina
*Hotel American
*Hotel Ai Mori D'Oriente
*Hotel Foscari Palace
Any thoughts...recommendations? THANKS
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's lots of comments about these hotels on this board..and you can find them by searching here. Also use www.tripadvisor.com and put in the name of hotel and get recent unbiased comments.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know La Calcina (stayed twice) and would recommend it without hesitation. It is very popular so I'd check availability asap. Do a search if you haven't yet because this hotel comes up aLOT on Fodors. There was a favorable and detailed review posted within the last couple days.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM

I just returned from Venice and stayed at Hotel Metropole and it was wonderful. The staff, rooms, and the entire experience I would highly recommend. Very good location too.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Dee: I have stayed at La Calcina several times over the years (and again this coming February) so recommend it highly - as do many others on this board (try to do a search or check out www.tripadvisor.com). That said, on my last trip in May my friends stayed at Locanda San Barnaba at the suggestion of our Venetian friends - they adored it. After hearing their praises and getting the tour from them and the Front Desk I'd easily stay there if La Calcina wasn't available to me. It's lovely and in a fabulous area of the Dorsoduro that's quiet yet still close to everything. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM

My husband and I just returned from 8 days in Venice, and stayed at Ai Mori D'Oriente. I can't say enough about how wonderful this hotel was. We had a deluxe double (don't bother with canal view -- there's a construction site across the canal from the hotel). The room was huge, with a large bed, sofa, desk, armoire, minibar, table and two chairs. The hotel is beautifully appointed and has lovely sitting areas all around the hotel (handy for reading/needlepoint on the one day it rained during our trip). The breakfast was good and there are several small local restaurants in the vicinity (without English menus, populated by locals and tourists alike). The staff are friendly and helpful. The location is fairly close to a vaporetto stop (San Marcuolo) and a short walk from Fondamente Nuovo (where you catch the boat for the islands of Murano, Burano, Torcello). It is a hike from San Marco, but a delightful walk, with lots of shops, restaurants, a few campos, etc.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM

I've stayed at La Calcina a couple of times. It's nice and I'd stay there again, although in a way I don't find it very...interesting? I'm not sure what I mean by this; it just hasn't really grabbed me. But it's totally satisfactory. More than satisfactory.

I've always wanted to stay at Locanda San Barnaba! Love that location and it looks great from web site. They've never had availability when I've been trying to book. So if I were me, I'd stay there. If I were you, I'd say you have some good choices: I've heard good things about all those hotels.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:13 AM

We've stayed at the Hotel American twice. Love the location and the canal view rooms. Check out rants and raves for lots of comments.

Dianne
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:27 AM

We stayed at the Monaco and Grand Canal for Carnivale and it was nice. Very small rooms but well appointed.

I really enjoyed the Daneili but it was outrageous; used points for that trip.

And, would highly recommend the Giorgione for very good value in a quiet location.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:53 AM

here's the current thread on La Calcina

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34536098
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
JBX

Another thread asking about Foscari Palace Hotel >>> http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34536184

The Foscari is a new hotel; Like many of Venice's hotels, it formerly was a family palace that has been refurbished. Judging from its' website it looks like a prime choice --- http://foscari.hotelinvenice.com/
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Well...Thank you all! I did check out all of the mentioned sites which is how I came up with such a list of great choices. I just needed what seems like more personal help from you all. I will ponder your thoughts and let you know my (whoops) I mean our as I should run this by my husband!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:50 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went through a similar process and chose the Hotel Foscari Palace. I tried to book directly thru their website but it showed no availability. I then booked thru venere.com. Good luck!

Dave
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Dear Ladylawer42,
I have the option on a room for Ai Mori D'Oriente. It sounds as though you liked it very much. If we were unlucky enough to get a canal view room woud the construction site be very noisy, do you think? If you have anything else to share about the location, restaurants, area for walking at night, etc, I would appreciate it!
thanks,
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM

If anyone is staying at the Foscari Palace, I'd be interested in knowing what it is like inside (rooms etc.). I don't need to book a room there obviously, but let's just say that I'm quite...<i>familiar</i> with that building!!
If anyone has the chance, I'd appreciate a few pictures too.

Thanks!
Federico
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Dee
Original Poster

I have decided on Hotel American and have booked room #201 . Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Italiaphile, sorry to be so long in responding -- started a new job, so no time to post/read here. I hope this is not too late to be useful. I don't think the construction would be too noisy, although they did seem to be hard at work when we left the hotel in the mornings (9:30 am or so). Our room was towards the back of the hotel, but not too far from the construction, and we never heard a thing. The neighborhood is working class, not too exciting, but the local restaurants were wonderful. There was one on the same street as the hotel, and quite a few more as you walk towards San Marcuolo. We just wandered until we found one that looked good, and were not disappointed. We did have a little trouble finding somewhere to eat one night when we waited until too late, and the first three we stopped at were full. We felt perfectly comfortable walking around at night (although I have always felt pretty comfortable in Venice at night in most areas). Although the hotel is not surrounded by shops, etc., you will find them just a few streets away. We would definitely stay there again.