Opinions of Pensione La Calcina, Venice

Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Opinions of Pensione La Calcina, Venice

We are two adults considering staying for a week at Pensione La Calcina in the Dorsoduro area of Venice. If you've stayed here, we'd love to hear your opinion of this bed and breakfast.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM

If you type "La Calcina" in the search function above, you will get dozens of threads featuring mostly favorable reviews of La Calcina--it is a Fodors favorite.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM

LOVED IT!!! Clean, great location, beautiful corner room, bigger than I imagined. Great staff. Just wish Europeans would discover shower curtains!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM

My daughter stayed at La Calcina two summers ago, and she loved it, too. She said it was very easy to get back and forth to the major sightseeing areas.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM

I stayed there this past October. It was very clean and very quiet. It was there that I was introduced to croissant with an apricot filling inside, yummy!! I think the best part was being on the Zattere. I happened to be there on a Sunday, and walking the Zattere in the sunshine with all the locals is one of my best memories of Venice.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM

I'm not fond of the deposit requirement I've read about (you mail a check for them to hold)..?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM

I spent six nights there in November, with high hopes because of the glowing reviews, but it didn't live up to my expectations. If you pull up my Sore Foot Tour thread, you'll find a post explaining why I wouldn't stay there again.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM

We stayed there in 2005 and will stay again in June of 2008. The staff, in our opinion, was quite friendly, and we really enjoyed the Dorsoduro location (we have stayed at Pension Accademia, too).

La Calcina is also where we had our first Singing Gondolier (aka Sgroppino), thanks to a tipsy Brit who turned us on to this refreshing concoction. If you're there in the summer, have one out on the deck. We also loved their rooftop balcony with commanding views. Great place for a late afternoon bottle of vino and some snacks.

As for the deposit policy, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM

Stayed there in May and would go back in a heartbeat. Very nice place, great location, friendly staff, excellent price. Also, the deposit policy doesn't bother me either. Why should it??
dave
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM

stayed for 4 nights in June 06 on my honeymoon. loved it. I did a lot of research before choosing it and didn't hear anything bad about it then. was in a great residential area near the vaperetto. easy to walk around area. supermarket, gelato and a few nice restaurants on the walk from hotel to the vaperetto stop. their restaurant was pretty good too. free internet in lobby and the staff was very helpful. the included breakfast was really good too. room was nice and clean. bathroom was small, but they all are in Italy! there was a fridge in the room. I had no problem with mailing the deposit and they were very prompt in answering my emails. would definitely stay there again. have a lovely time!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

We stayed there for 3 nights in July 06. The first 2 nights were in a room facing the canal and the last in a room at the back. We loved this hotel and the location. The canal view was wonderful but I also liked the room at the back with its large balcony (no view). We liked the neighbourhood and the floating restaurant on the deck. Starting the day with breakfast on the canal was great. It was a perfect beginning to our first European vacation. I would go back in a minute!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM

We were there for several nights last July and agree with all of the positive comments above. We had a canal view room w/ a balcony and loved the location on the Zattere. Breakfast on the canal was beyond superb. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. We have made our reservations at Pensione La Calcina and are looking forward to our stay in Venice.

thursdaysd - I read your Sore Foot Tour thread. The info on the museums, churches and restaurants is wonderful! Thank you for sharing all those wonderful stories!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM

I see you have made up your mind. Great choice! I loved staying at La Calcina and the next time I travel to Venice (my favorite city!) I will stay there!

Monica
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM

Hope it works out for you - enjoy magical Venice!
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:32 AM

We LOVED La Calcina! What a pleasure to rest after a day of walking, looking out at the Giudecca canal! Gorgeous. We thought it well worth spending the extra euros for the view and we loved the location too! Hope you have a wonderful stay!