Need help with Greece Ferry Bookings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to Greece next week, and need to purchase my ferry tickets (hellenic seaways, highspeed ferry 2/3) for:
- Myk - Naxos
- Naxos - Piriaue or Rafina
Looking for some help from some Greece experts.
1. Do I buy the tix online or wait until I get to the Athens airport? Will they sell out? Do ferries need an actual ticket, or will they accept an onine print out?
2. DH and I would like the business class seats. The website keeps indicating I can only purchase "berth" seating option. I really don't want to sit with strangers. What do I do?
3. We will be leaving Naxos mid day, arriving into Athens, and will head over to a hotel near the airport as we have a very early flight the next day. Which port is closest to the airport? Piriaues or Rafina?

Your help is appreciated.
B
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM

"Berth" doesn't apply to the HS highspeeds as they don't have cabins. Even if it appears that "berth" has been selected for you don't worry about it.

You may run into "insufficient availability" due to the fact that it's very likely too late to be trying to book the highspeeds for a week from now (It wouldn't be unusual for them to be fully booked by the end of June). Keep trying all the different categories until one works. If they all show "insufficient availability" start searching for alternatives. One possibility would be a different ferry, perhaps one of the larger "regular" car ferries, from Rafina to Mykonos. Another good alternative would be the morning Blue Star "Paros" from Piraeus to Naxos and then another ferry from Naxos to Mykonos if you have already booked a Mykonos hotel as your first stop.

Go to http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm to see what might be available on your travel dates.

You will pick up your tickets at the port, as an internet printout is not offered as a substitute for a ticket. The ports will be crowded and chaotic, so give yourselves plenty of time to join the crush at the ticket offices. One alternative to this would be to book through www.danae.gr and pay the extra fee to pick up your tickets at the airport from the travel desk of Amphitrion Holidays in the Main Hall before heading to the ferry port. They're open 24/7.

Rafina is closer to the Airport.

Good luck, enjoy Greece!
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your wise advice Brotherleelove. I booked my flights via Danae, as per your suggestion. Seats were available - whew!
We'll be sailing into the Rafina port, and I know, as to the dismay of most fodorites, we will staying at the Sofitel at the airport and take the metro into the city for dinner...if we feel like it. (Most suggest staying in the city and taking the subway to the airport - we just don't want that fuss at 4am).

Brotherleelove, would you be so kind to tell me how to get from the airport to the plaka/hermou area via subway/bus and if it is safe at night.

Many thanks...
B
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM

The Airport Blue Line Metro will take you to the Monastiraki Metro Station for 6 euro or 2 for 10 euro. Monastiraki is right on the edge of the Plaka. The Metro takes about 45 minutes each way. The last Metro leaves the airport at 11:30 PM and the last Metro back to the airport leaves Monastiraki at 11:00 PM.

If you are referring to Ermou Street, get off the Metro at Syntagma and when you walk out the main door with the square in front of you Ermou is directly in front of you across the intersection, one street to the right-and parallel with-Mitropoleos Street.

To clarify, look at this map: http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm

Syntagma (Syntagmatos Sq.) is in the northwest corner of the "National Gardens".

The Airport Express Bus, which leaves the airport every half-hour 24/7, will take you to Othonos Street alongside Syntagma Square for 3.2 euro each. Walk down from where the bus stops, cross the street and you'll be on Mitropoleos Street. Othonos Street changes its name at that intersection. Walk down about 1/4 mile to Monastiraki Square. If there's no traffic jam the bus will take about 45 minutes, but if there's heavy traffic it can take up to 1.5 hours, maybe more during rush hour.

Both the Airport Metro Station and the Bus Stop are very close by to the Sofitel, a short and easy walk. Ask for directions at the reception desk. Both are safe to ride at night.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Sorry, the Airport Express Bus is #95.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM

Here is one Fodorite who agrees with your choice of Sofitel. I have stayed there before an early morning flight, and it was wonderful to check out and walk straight across to the terminal. You can get a quick breakfast in their 24hr restaurant. The rooms are very nice as well.

Sofitel has a rooftop restaurant, Karavi, which I am told is excellent. I have only eaten in the ground floor restuarant, but Karavi may be a good alternative to central Athens, especially considering your early morning departure: http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...staurant.shtml