Reload this Page >

Central Europe or Spain?

Search

Central Europe or Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
pearlsgirl

Central Europe or Spain?

I am considering a trip to either Munich,Prague,Vienna or to Spain-Madrid,Seville,Torremolinos. This will be in mid to late October. My heart is telling me C.Europe, but I know the weather wil be much better in Spain. Has anyone been to either in October, and what are your thoughts?

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather-wise, Spain is safer.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Spain arcelona, Madrid, Seville.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM

I can't say about the other places as I have not visited them yet, but Prague in mid-October last year was extremely cold-sunny but very cold. Yes. I think Spain would be better if you want warm weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Have been to Prague in October and the weather was great - sunny and brisk - but not really cold. (No colder than NYC - definitely not winter jacket weather.) Perfect for touring around- much better than heat.

But obviously Spain will be warmer - esp in the south.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I'm not from NYC maybe that's why it felt cold.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM

I've been to both, I liked Spain better. It's really what you want since these are pretty different.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Weather is all comparative. To someone who lives in the far south - where it never gets really cold - even a little chilly can feel awful.

To people from a temperate climate - Oct weather isn;t cold - just rally beautiful - nice and crisp and brisk and makes you want to go out and do things - rather than 90 degree heat - which makes me wilt completely and want to just sit in an AC room.

So - it really depends on where you come from and what temps you're used to.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
pearlsgirl

I'm from Michigan, so I can handle cool, just don't want cold, ie. winter jacket weather. Could I expect light jacket, heavy sweater weather, or is that just wishful thinking?? Anything over 75 is just too hot for me when touring-

Galaxygirl, why do you think Spain is better? I'm so torn on this decision-but I must make up my mind soon!

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Regarding subjective experiences of weather, I was born in New York but grew up in California and have highly unpleasant memories of being told by my mother (from Long Island) that it wasn't cold even when it was. She in general had a very high threshold for discomfort and pain (no novocaine at the dentist, etc) and it took me a long time to realize I should just ignore her and stay warm!

I live in Italy now. She lives in the Northwest.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Well, if the one desicion-making criteria is weather, then this is a no brainer; Spain. What are your expectations of this trip, though? Is Munich-Prague-Vienna a dream trip for you? If it is, then go where your heart is telling you to go. There is no bad weather, just bad clothing.

If you do decide to go to Spain, stay away from Costa del Sol (Torremolinos?...YIKES!). Get to Madrid or Barcelona, Seville (stay at Barrio de Santa Cruz) and explore the White Towns of Andalucia.

About Prague: Absolutely gorgeous city run over by crowds during warmer months. Make it a point to go to Prague with fewer crowds. October? Definitely.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM

A picture speaks 1000 words...take a look at my photos from Spain trip last spring. Spain is so beautiful, a delightful surprise with friendly people and so much history. I especially recommend Andalucia--southern Spain. Easy public transportation. Having pleasant weather can make a big difference in your enjoyment and ability to just relax.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gogarden/OurSpainTrip08
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi pearlsgirl,

if you find places tend to be too hot, I'd suggest central europe in October would be a better bet than andalucia at that time of year.

save andalucia for the spring.

regards, ann
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
pearlsgirl

Thank you all for the great comments. We have decided on C.Europe. I have wanted to go to Prague and that area for sometime, so I guess I just needed to be convinced that the weather would not be a hindrance. Spain will be next on my list - oh how I wish I could do it all NOW! I loved the "no bad weather, just bad clothes" quote....how true!

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
pearlsgirl

Snorkelluvn - thank's for sharing the pics - it has confirmed that Spain definitely belongs towards the top of my "places I must go to" list.