Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st time going to Europe is Spain a good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband has never been to Europe (I've never been to Spain). We have to go in March or Early April as my sister is due to have her first child in late May and she would never forgive me if I wasn't there. I want to go someplace that won't be too cold (under 50) and that will have nice weather. I know nothing about Spain....
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Didn't you already post this question? I responded a few days ago and there were a number of other responses also. Search for your earlier post by clicking on your screen name.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM
SRS

Spain is a wonderful country! I can't wait to go back! But so are many others. I would go to a bookstore and start looking at books for various places - Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc. Also I would look at some trip reports for places that interest you and check out fodors.com and others desciptions. Since temperature is pretty important to you, I would probably focus more on the southern regions of any country you consider.

We were in Spain during the last 2 weeks of March this year. The weather was definitely way above the 50s in Andalucia, but it snowed a touch in Madrid. In fact in Sevilla and in the White Hill Towns, we wore t-shirts and were quite hot (I think it must have been upper 70s to lower 80s most days. I don't know if this was a fluke though.

I would check out weatherbase or weather.com for a more accurate weather answer.

Best wishes,
Sally
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM

We were in Madrid mid-APril and the weather was perfect, 70s during the day, maybe 60s in the evenings. I think SPain is a great place for a 1st trip to Europe. We loved Madrid and would definitely like to return and explore more of the country (Bareclona, Andalucia, northern spain).
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

no I posted, where to go in March. Spain was one of the responses so I wanted to get more feedback.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Yes, but Andalusia is best that time of year. Easter week in Seville is special.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM

We just came back from Spain and if you want warmer weather than, for example, London or Paris, Spain - especially Andalucia - is a great choice. I can't say it would be my first choice for a first trip to Europe. Southern Spain - the Costa del Sol, Granada, Seville and the white villages should be experiencing spring in early April. Spain is great. If you like beautiful architechture (Moorish) beautiful vistas (the mountains and the sea), I highly recommend Andalucia.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM

We loved Spain - the scenery, the food, the wine, the people! We only had a week, so we spent a few days in Granada, then rented a car & drove the "white" hill towns of Andalucia. Ronda is the most wonderfully beautiful little town you can imagine. Like others, I recommend browsing some books then doing your planning. Search "Ronda" on this site and see what you come up with.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM

For a first timer to Europe I personally would recommend London. Why? It is European but the possible frustration of language will not be a problem. Furthermore, London has some of the most glorious places to see in all of Europe. Frankly, Spain would be way down on my list of places. I've been there and twenty other countries in Europe and wouldn't think of it for a first or second visit.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't recommend Spain for a first trip. Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting to visit and has great food, but I would pick England, Italy, Greece, Germany, or France first.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM
ira

Hi smiley,

For hubby's first visit to Europe, I suggest that you take him to Paris.

As Bogart said to Bergman, "We will always have Paris".

(or was it VV? or did they both say it?)
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM

I think Spain is a wonderful choice as a first European trip. I was there in mid-March 2000, daytime temps in the 60's-70's, and the orange blossoms were at peak in Sevilla. Go where your passion and interest takes you.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:03 PM

London? The dollar is weak against the euro, absolutely terrible against the British pound. You might want to consider this.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I haven't yet been to Spain, but my mother, after retirement and having forgotten all the French she had learned in high school, made here initial trip to Portugal and Spain with friends, and none of them spoke anything but English, yet they enjoyed their trip. I have read that Spain has fewer who speak a little English than the main tourist destinations in Italy and France, but it has been my experience that people can always find a way to communicate.

So my advice to you would be to decide what your interests are, what you really want to see, and who will have good weather when you are going, and go there. Spain is fairly high on my list (ahead of England) because they have some great art in both places, but we travel in the spring, and Spain seems likely to have better weather.

For general information on destinations, the home page of Fodors has a link to destinations, and from there you can read about the major sites in Spain, or anywhere, for that matter.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I agree with SusieQQ: Spain wouldn't be my first choice for a first trip to Europe. I would take my husband to Italy. It's so romantic! Rome won't be too chilly in March. I've even been to Venice and Florence at that time of year, and found them tolerable. And I hate cold weather! All of these cities have so much to offer -- great art, fabulous churches and cathedrals, wonderful food. Bella Italia gets my vote!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I would not pick Spain myself, especially since you have never been and will have in tow someone who's never been to Europe at all. Nothing against Spain, but I think there are "easier" countries to travel to ensure a smooth first experience for him without too much stress or worry for you.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I'd go to an English speaking country, the UK won't be so much of a culture shock. You talk about the weak dollar, but it's not much stronger against the Euro, an holiday costs however much it costs. If you've a budget of 5000USD you can easily go anywhere in Europe.

See London, it'll be a fun break for you.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I do love London, but since I've been there 4 times, I'm being a bit selfish and wanting to go to a new place or somewhere I've only been once (which is everywhere but London)
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM

It sounds like you're not a timid traveler, so I say ignore the nay-sayers and go somewhere you really want to. Neither of us had ever been to Spain, and my husband hadn't been to Europe at all in 15 years, and it didn't stop us one little bit. Read a lot before you go, have a phrase book with you and you'll have a fabulous time. English is a second language almost everywhere; driving was easy and the people were delightfully open & helpful. If you're still interested, let me know & I'll give you more specifics about our itinerary - We flew into Granada, then rented a car & drove the coast for 2 days, then drove up to Ronda, then spent a day driving & stopping along the way to Seville to fly home. It was Holy Week & Seville was going to be too crowded for our tastes, so we'll spend time there the next trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM

I'm sure the answer is, "it depends on what YOU like". London, Paris and Rome are the big three in Europe. You might want to include one of those in your trip. Maybe a little time in Spain (if that is where YOU want to go) and a little time in one of the big three. Weather in europe is similar to places in the US. Paris and London will be like Seattle, Rome will be like Southern California. That may have some impact on your plans. Sounds like you have seen some of Europe and it might be fun to show your husband some of the places you already know about.