Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: Prague to Vienna or Salzburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 5 days in Prague, 3 for Vienna or Salzburg and 5 for Budapest. Need know your thoughts on which city to see. We have never been to this part of Europe. Both are about the same distance from Prague. Salzburg seems to be about 140 miles further from Budapest than Vienna.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Vienna is another major capitol city on the mid european plain. Lots of museums, royal palaces, big city atmosphere, etc.

Salzburg is more of a large town, very cute olde worlde pedestrian area, and close to the mountains for a couple of interesting day trips - so far more different from Prague and Budapest than is Vienna.

But, as a single place Vienna has much more to see/do than Salzburg.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM

It is hard to compare, both are wonderful, but completely different.

Just off the top of my head, I'd choose Salzburg because the other 3 cities are large cities and Salzburg is a more like a large town. This would mix things up with a different type of experience. Salzburg still has plenty of history, architecture and culture. If you had a different vacation planned, I might suggest Vienna.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM

I did a Budapest, Vienna, Prague trip a few years ago but also went to Kracow. Each city is has it's special character, scale and attractions.

But if you want the smaller town charm, Melk is an easy day trip out of Vienna. Szentendre is an easy day trip from Budapest. Cesky Krumlov is wonderful, but probably more than a day trip from Prague--although I stopped there for a couple nights on the way from Vienna to Prague.

Others may disagree, but I felt each of these places was superior to the Salzburg experience. Perhaps my expectations were too high. There were hordes of tourists even in April. The nice shopping street was crowded with people buying everything Mozart. Costumed hawkers for mediocre concerts were at every turn. And of course the Sound of Music fix was available too. Even the main square was asphalt instead of cobbles.

If you're really interested in Salzburg, I'd do it as a day trip out of Munich. But I wouldn't choose it over Vienna.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Count me as the third to vote for Salzburg - it's one of my favourites in Europe and will give you a different feel from the other two.

Prague is unique - it's size not an impediment to a cozy experience, but Vienna, although beautiful, is a "grand" city, and somewhat stiff. Budapest, I can take or leave, but I only visited shortly after the fall of Communism - I imagine it is much more pleasant now - maybe they have patched up all the bullet holes.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM

How do you plan to travel between these cities? Prague is indeed about the same distance from Salzburg or Vienna, but by train the trip is much longer because Prague-Vienna is a main rail route with direct trains whereas Prague-Salzburg is more of a secondary rail route requiring multiple changes..
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Good advice and I thank all of you. How about Prague, Krakow, Budapest?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM
mikeycora

A few years back we did Salzburg, Budapest and Prague in that order. Our favorite was Prague and Budapest but you can't pass up Salzburg. Did Warsaw and Krakow last October and if I had my pick I would do Krakow hands down.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Mikeycora, thanks! That is what we have been thinking also. Any idea on the fastest way to travel from Krakow to Budapest?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Prague Krakow and Salzburg sound perfect.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

You might check budget airlines for flights from Kracow, but don't think there are flights to Budapest. There are flights between Prague and Budapest.
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/

The train between Prague and Kracow takes the better part of a day. It's not so far, but the train does a lot of starting and stopping especially at the border. I liked Kracow, but said I wouldn't take the train again. The train from Kracow to Budapest takes even longer. I flew from Kracow to Vienna.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM
mikeycora

Sorry about the delay. We went by train from salzburg to budapest. Can't remember the time I think around 6 hrs. Then Budapest to Prague around 6 hours. The Warsaw trip was Chicago to London then to Copenhagen for 2 days. Lot flews from Copenhagen to Warsaw then to trained to Krakow. A great trip in towns that with very friendly and young. The square in Krakow was one of the better squares of Europe. IMO