TRAIN TRAVEL ITALY

Sep 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

TRAIN TRAVEL ITALY

In March 08 we would like to take the train from Paris to Florence. Then a train to Rome.
Can I do a day trip from Florence to Venice?
Where should I buy my tickets? I checked SNCF website. Is that the best choice? Do I need to get the tickets 60 days in advance for the day trains? Or is a pass the best choice for France / Italy.
I see there is a large price difference from some other train sites.
Thanks for your help.
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM

It's 2:45 each way on the fast Eurostar Train. First one departs Florence 8:37a, and arrives Venice 11:22a. [Unless you take an earlier slower train with a connection - 6:28-10:03.]

Last fast train departs 6:36p, and gets you back to Florence at 9:23p. So, you have about 7 hours in Venice.

2nd class AMICA ticket is 24€ each way. You can order online on trenitalia.com if you manage to register. Or just wait until you get to Italy and buy from any train station.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi A,

>Can I do a day trip from Florence to Venice? <

Yes, but I recommend against it. An overnight is much better.

Almost all of the folks who say that they didn't like Venice did daytrips.

>Where should I buy my tickets?

Paris to Florence at www.voyages-sncf.com

In Italy at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Check the prices, I don't think that you will want a railpass.

Have you considered flying www.myair.com from Paris ORY to Venice VCE? Much faster and cheaper than a train.

Sep 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM

With the limited number of trips you'll be taking, a railpass will NOT be cost effective for you.

IMO, if you take the train from Paris to Florence, your best choice is the direct night train. It saves you the cost of a night in a hotel and gives you more daylight hours for sightseeing. Book up to three months in advance at www.voyages-sncf.com to get PREM'S (discount) fares. They can be as low as €35 for a bunk in a six-person couchette and €60 for a bunk in a four-person couchette. Paying a little more for a four-person couchette is worth it for the extra space and comfort. Or book a bed in a three-person sleeper or a two-person sleeper.
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I will take your advice.
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM

My sis and I will be taking the sleeper train from Paris to Florence this coming November. We're booked on a two-person sleeper. Purchased our tickets via raileurope.com.