Train from Venice to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take the train from Venice to Florence. Has anyone had difficulties with this train trip or advice?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM

Hi Elan, the train from Venice to Florence is very easy. I assume you will be in Venice. Just take the train from the Venice Santa Lucia Train Station to Florence. Figure the trip will take about 3 hours. The train station in Florence is right in the center of Florence.

Have you taken trains in Italy before? If not, just a word of advice.
Validate your train ticket at the little yellow machine in the train station before you get on the train.

Have a wonderful visit in Italy.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:10 PM

That is a good tip LoveItaly. Any others for the first time 'train tripper'?

Like here is a silly one, but just in case Elan is indeed new to trains, when a train makes multiple stops, how does one know when they have reached their destination. I have only 'trained' twice, and I can't recall to advise Elan, do they make an overhead announcement?

>- T.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
jgg

We found on our recent trip, that sometimes they made announcements sometimes not. However, the name of the train station is painted on the concrete pillars as you arrive into the station. You are going slowly for a while, so it is easy to read.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:02 PM

Hi again Elan, thought this site may be of assistance to you if you are a newbie:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm

Very good introductory information.

Best wishes, T.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:54 PM

ask when you get on how many stops to yuor destination and count from there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:52 AM
ira

Hi E,

You might find this thread helpful:
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Remarkable assistance. I love Foders threads.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

Hi Elan,
Just a word of caution...We just returned from Italy and our last leg was a train from Florence to Mestre to spend the night and take an early flight next morning from Marco Polo. We purchased our tickets day before and arrived at the station an hour in advance. What we did not know was that on the train schedule signs that tell you what track to go to your train is listed by it's final destination and expected departure time not by the city you are travelling to...which of course makes since. Here is the big thing I want you to know...Watch that track sign until you know what track your train is coming in on and go stand in the expected spot. The train only stays in the station a few short minutes and if you are first class you have to locate your car and heave y our luggage on in about 5 minutes. No joking!. It was no problem going from Venice to Florence b/c Florence was the final destination. Just look for your TIME on the track schedule, especially if you are going to a smaller town. The final distination for our return was some obscure town that we had never heard of. When the time was nearing for our train to arrive and still no mentionof it on the track board I inquired at the " customer info " office. I was told the trrain was late, not to worry. When the time for it's arrival came and went I asked again and was told " you missed it". So, we got an extra 3 hours in Florence so I'm not complaining...just trying to use my error to prevent another one.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:31 AM

Since you can't always find a conductor when you need one, it's always a good idea to look at the schedule in the station and write down the name and time of the stop before your stop. Then when you get to that stop, you'll know how long you have to your destination.