Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best way to Travel from Venice (Italy) to Florence (Italy)?

Best way to Travel from Venice (Italy) to Florence (Italy)?

Mar 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Best way to Travel from Venice (Italy) to Florence (Italy)?

Please advice what is the best way to travel from Venice, Italy (Boscolo Bellini hotel) to Florence, Italy (San Giorgio hotel). We are from South Africa and would love to explore Italy without being part of a tour group,
Mar 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM

Definitely the train. You can book tickets at www.trenitalia.it the sooner you buy usually the better the price.
Mar 14th, 2012, 01:53 AM

Yes, via trenitalia. We booked a train on the same day for less than 95 EUR Venice to Florence. Trip takes about 2.5 hours. Florence train station is right in the center of town
Mar 14th, 2012, 02:34 AM

A second class ticket is 43 euro and the stations are in the centre of both cities, it couldn't be easier.
Mar 14th, 2012, 04:19 AM

And in the unlikely event that you find yourself in either city with extra time, it is easy to make daytrips (Verona, Vicenza, Padova, Ravenna from Venice; Bologna from Florence) by train or bus (Siena from Florence).
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM

To get from one city to another it's best to train. If you also want to explore the countryside and several smaller towns - the only possible way is to rent a car.
Mar 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the responses. Are you able to help me with the specific train stations (names of stations) in the middel of Venice and Florence as we need the names of the stations to make a booking?
Mar 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM

ElminefromRSA,
There are two stations associated with Venice. Santa Lucia is in Venice and Venezia Mestre is on the "mainland." I suspect you would want to plan your trip from Santa Lucia wich very easily reached by vaparetto. Going to Florence paln your trip to the Santa Maria Novella station which is inthe heart of Florence. There are two other Florence stations Rifredi and Camp di Marte which are severla kilometers from the "city center" of Florence. All the details for tickets, train types and timetables can be seen at the Trnitalia site Jamikins recommended. IF your timing is some what flexible you do not need to purchase tickets ahead of time.

Good Luck

Rolo
Mar 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rolo, I appreciate your input, the info you gave me will ensure a much enjoyable trip that my husband and I are looking forward to.
Thanks again. Elmine
Mar 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM

You MUST take the train. I took the train all over Europe and I think the ride from Venice from Florence was one of my favorite trips. It was completely breathtaking.
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:25 AM

The answer would depend on how you want to spend your trip. If you are simply planning to go from Venice to Florence, and do not care about spending time to see whats between those two cities, then you should take the train, however if you want to see more of Italy than just cities, rental a car is good option.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM

The best way is to travel by train if you are looking for cheap and relaxing journies. It is advisable to make reservations to secure seats on the train especially when you are going on holiday. For further clarification on train bookings visit www.raileurope.com website to investigate fares and to book tickets.

Search this Thread