Search

Skip Vienna or Salzburg?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip Vienna or Salzburg?

I'm planning my upcoming trip for this September. I'm going to start off in Venice, I can't wait to return, then I've decided to go on to Prague. Since I'd have to make a train change in Vienna, I was thinking of spending a couple of days there before going on to Prague. But then I really want to see Salzburg, so I was adding that city in the schedule. I'm only going to have 13 days, and will be spending at least 4 days in Venice and since the train rides from Venice to Salzburg and from Salzburg to Prague are each about 6 hours +/-, that leaves me less days in city. I don't want to spend just a couple of days in each of the city, so I've decided that I need to cut out either Vienna or Salzburg. I also don't want to take overnight trains because I want to see the country as I travel through it.

For those of you who have been to Vienna and Salzburg or to either, which city would you skip? I have gone through the travel books, but I'm looking for advice from people who have actually been there.

Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM

I like them both but for sheer volume of things to see and do I would skip Salzburg
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM

I would be tempted to squeeze in Salburg, and keep Vienna.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM

The train trip Vienna - Prague takes about 4 hours without changes . Numerous trains daily .
Thus from a logistics standard Vienna is more convenient than a Salzburg - Prague transfer.
While Salzburg is a beautiful city , Vienna offers much more varied sightseeing, culture etc.
With limited time I would just visit Vienna rather than adding salzburg- this permits you to have more time to savor the offerings of Venice , Vienna, and Prague - a good and varied trip in my view.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
ira

Hi lyb,

You can pretty much see Salzburg in 2 days.

You have been to Vienna, so 2 days there would let you revisit your favorite spots.

Here is my suggestion:
Venice - 3 days
day 4 train to Salzburg - 2 days
Evening train to Vienna - arrive about 22:00 - 2 days
Evening train to Prague - arrive about 20:00 -- 4 days

The most scenic part of your route is Venice to Salzburg. We were lucky enough to cross the Alps in early Spring, when the snow melt turned every little stream into a gushing torrent.

IIRC, the route from Vienna to Prague is not particularly scenic.

You will miss some of the scenery during the last hour on your Salzburg to Vienna leg.

Get the Salzburg card. http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_281.htm

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
kja

Hi, lyb -

You have an interesting choice here and others have given you some good ideas to consider. Both cities are wonderful, so the good news is that you'll "win" either way. As others have said, two days would be quite reasonable for Salzburg. But how long to devote to Vienna depends on what you want to see an experience. I found 5 very busy days there insufficient for my interests. So, if you haven't seen Vienna, you might want to skip Salzburg this trip.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM

lyb,
I understand your thoughts--I always look for places I want to stay to break up a long train trip.
Are you also interested in getting outside the city--lake, mountain, etc.?
That would say Salzburg rather than Vienna.
Are you more interested in a longer list of museums, palaces, cafes, etc.?
That would say Vienna rather than Salzburg.

I liked Vienna, but I personally would rarely choose a city over natural beauty, especially as a stop between two cities. But I am an outdoors, walking, nature loving type more than an urban, indoors type.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Tough call !
Ira has a good plan but I hate to cut short two of my favorite places---Venice and Prague. So, I would take the easy path to Vienna and leave time to enjoy all 3 destinations.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input...this has been a tough decision, but tonight I watched my Samantha Brown DVDs for both cities, took out my travel books, and re-read your suggestions and I think Salzburg is the city for me.

2 years ago I really enjoyed the coziness of Bath and in a way, Salzburg makes me feel it might have the same feeling.

My train ride from Salzburg to Prague may be a bit long, but I'll just sit back and relax during that time.

As most of you wrote, either way, I win, so I guess Vienna will have to be for the following trip.

I've looked on the internet for hotels and even found a hotel in Salzburg and in Prague that seem really good...Wow, this trip is starting to feel real! Yeah!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi lyb,

For Salzburg, I can highly recommend www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home)

It is at the edge of the city, a 2 min walk to the bus stop; you can be downtown in 12 min.

Get the Salzburg card. http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_281.htm
It is available at the B&B.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM

Vienna is a great city with so many things to see - the Hofburg, the Upper and Lower Belvedere Palaces, Schönbrunn Palace, and the Secession Museum. The transportation system includes Metro and trams, or you can even rent bicycles, so it's easy to get around.

In Prague, don't miss the incredible murals of Alphons Mucha in the Municipal House. I think these are his greatest works, but most are only aware of his famous posters.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
lyb
Original Poster

Ira,

I just looked at the website for the Ammoos. It looks wonderful, and so inexpensive. My only concern is that it's not right in town, but then the location seems wonderful.

Was it really and truly as convenient to get in town as the website says?

This almost seems like the best of both world, close to town but out in the country?

When did you stay? tell me more, I'm getting excited

Lynn
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Ira,

I just looked at it more and read all the reviews on Trip Advisor, and I emailed Ammoos for to ask for a reservation.

Tell me more, this place seems great and the rates!! I can't wait to hear back from them.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
ira

Hi lyb,

Honestly, truly, cross my heart and hope to die, it is about a 2-3 min walk to the bus stop (covered in case it rains), and the bus will get you to the Hanusch Plaz in under 15 min.

I think that the last bus back is around 23:30.

See my trip report
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Enjoy your stay.

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Thank you! I read your report and see that there's even a restaurant nearby.

This place sounds so good, most of the time I prefer to stay in non high tourist area so that I can get a feel for the locals. That's why I love the hotel I've stayed in and will stay again in Venice, and the hotel I stay in when I've visited London.

A 15 minute bus ride is nothing..and this may sound odd, but living in CA where we are always in our cars, public transportation is one of the things I enjoy about Europe. And that the bus runs until late gives me the option to stay in town later...I am soooooo excited!!! Now, hopefully they will have room for me.

Don't know if they had their super duper cheap room when you went, but they have a small room for 22 euros! I am beyond excited if that is available since I had budgeted about $150 +/- (yes, dollars) per night and pay 22 euros, wow, that certainly helps my budget!!

Thank you so much for your recommendation.

I don't remember reading if you've been to Prague yet. If yes, any hotel recommendation there?
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
ira

Hi lyb,

>...if you've been to Prague yet. If yes, any hotel recommendation there?<

Yes, http://www.dientzenhofer.cz/ It starts at about $80/nite for a single, though.

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:21 AM

Nice Salzburg hotel rec, Ira.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi lyb; You have received great suggestions for you to make decisions. Not contensious by someone who does't agree with others, like some of us just went thru about A/C in Vienna. Anyways, a good web site for Prague is www.inyourpocket.com/ Click on the city, then click on 'instant' and you will have a download. Enjoy iris1745/dick
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
lyb
Original Poster

Ira,

I heard back from Ammoos and they are already all booked up for my dates in September.

So I'll keep on looking and maybe I will check with them now and then to see if they get a cancellation.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
ira

Oh, Pooh, lyb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -