Naxos or Lesbos large apartment or villa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 5-6 night stay in either Naxos or Lesbos, probably late May or early June 2009, with our two grown children (4 adults total). We would like a 2 or even 3 bedroom apt or villa. Beach or city/village is fine. We do not want a remote location although we will rent a car. The trip is in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary so we are willing to splurge.

Does anyone have suggestions? It seems like most accommodations are studios or small apts with only one real bedroom. If we cannot find a place with at least 2 bedrooms, we will settle for hotel rooms but we do enjoy having a sitting area with modest kitchen facilities. TIA, Edna
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Edna, Naxos is WONDERFUl in late May, Earlly june... in fact, I'm headed there about June 3. In hunting for a separate villa, there is a problem. The freestanding villas with 3 bedrooms PLUS livingroom are scarce... and are usually not ON a beach, but back from it a bit, or quite a bit! ... the nearer the beach, the more likely a multi-unit building. OR they are in an isolated area, which you don't want. You may do best by getting 2 adjoiniing studios (each will hve kitchen and ballcony). Look for ones with BIG balconies and then u have your sitting area.

St. George beach is shallow, but it has the convenience of being immediately adjacent to Naxos town, so you can go to dinner there and just stroll back to the hotel or apt.

Well-reviewed on TA is the St. George studio-apt building iVilla Naxia. One on Plaka Beach that has stunning reviews is Castello Studios.

Naxian waters are still a bit brisk in Late May-early June but I've swum in them, esp. St. George atn Ag Anna & Plaka... PRokopios beach is Deeep. Stay away from anthing with "stelida" in the address ... it's near a marshy area & has skeeters.

Remember, Lesvos is in the North Aegean and the water is defintely colder there.

And even if hotels/villas etc have pools, they still will be coolish... no heated pools in Greece.

See you in Naxos!
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 04:24 AM

I have to agree with Jan about the temperatures, but Lesvos is lovely, too.

Try this

http://www.spiritofgreece.co.uk/kalonia.html

or there are quite a few here:-

http://www.greecetravel.com/villas/easternaegean.htm
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sheila and Travelerjan. I am leaning towards Naxos and just began considering Lesbos after meeting someone from Athens who recommended it. We'll be with our two children in a week or so and making our decision. Villa Naxia and Castello Studios, which I had not yet discovered, look just about perfect although the Lesbos accomodations look good too. I had also thought about taking two studios so that we have plenty of room. Thanks again for the recommendations.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Be sure you specify that you want 2 bedrooms for 4 people, not just 4 beds. Otherwise you might get a smaller apartment with beds in the living room area. This is a common method for hotel owners to use to get as many people in a small space as possible.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM

I had intended (I guess I should have been specific) that you would book 2 studios .... ALSO, be specific when inquiring about what kinds of beds you want -- single bed or double bed (some hotels still call that a "matrimonial bed" -- quaint).

Also, when you request a double bed, some hotels say yes, but what they mean is 2 single beds pushed together -- perhaps with one large bedspread, but not one mattress. OK for most of us, but not all.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM

PS & BTW --- some of these small famliy hotels have a form on the website to fill out when requesting rooms, plus an e-mail. I never use the form. I always e-mail, writing a rather formal letter, with short sentences, no complicated syntax, and "old fahioned courtesy"-- you know, Thank you so very much, Yours very truly, etc.

I give good specifics of what I want.... AND I also express warm feelings about the destination ("I have always wanted to visit Samos, people say it is so beautiful!&quot In my experience I get a very warm response, and the relationship is established even before we arrive.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for more details. Yes, I've realized that for many places extra beds are in the communal living area not an actual bedroom. Since our grown children are different sexes, we definitely need separate beds for them, and even separate bedrooms would be nice although they have shared a room before. In other travels, my husband and I have had the 'matrimonial' bed, quaint as you say. I also think the idea of the email request has value. I've already had the experience of a slight language barrier when I've requested more details. Thanks again, and I'll post any salient information.