Naxos hotels

Oct 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Naxos hotels

Any suggestions for lodging in Naxos would be appreciated. Don't know anything about the island except that it is a great place to relax and experience Greek island culture. I need sleeping arrangements for 5 people. Would like to be close to a beach and some good restaurants.
Oct 19th, 2015, 04:48 PM
WWK

We stayed at NISSAKI BEACH HOTEL a few years ago and really liked it. It's right on the town beach, and a short walk from town ( about 10 minutes).

This year we stayed at GALAXY, which is on a better part of the beach, but we didn't like the hotel rooms or staff nearly as much as NISSAKI's.
Oct 19th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Mark, you don't tell us when you are going ... it makes a difference! In the height of High Season (July-Late August), we might suggest that you stay at a farther-out beachside "strip" town (Plaka, Ag prokopios) ... any other time (April-June, and Sept-Nov) the place we "veteran Naxophiles" usually stay is the area of the hotel WWK recommended, St. George (Ag. Giorgios) beach ... which is adjacent to the Port Town, a pleasant 10-15 minute stroll to all the cafes, tavernas, shops, historic sights of Naxos Town... yet St G. is quiet at night, v. relaxed. Naxos has an excellent bus system, so u can stay in St. G yet enjoy all the other beaches as well, without having to rent a car.

"Sleeping arrangements for 5 people" doesn't help us to advise you. TO have you all in a big separate lodging, means a villa. IF you want to be ON the beach or walking distance, Naxos does not have large number of big villas. What luxe villas they have are inland, not as handy (need a car). What the seafronts area DOES have are a lot of useful "studio" or "bedroom studio" units. The latter has a BR w double or twin bed, the large main room has 2 daybeds, plus kitchenette ell & table/chairs plus balcony.

Two units might suit you fine or not. Are you all adults? Pre schoolers? what? Do u want K facilities to make breakfasts (all units have fridges, so sandwich lunches are easy in any hotel). With kids, K might be important.

Also, it's helpful if you give your desired approx budget per night, in Euros (this handy website - http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/ -converts $ to € instantly). WWK's suggestions were both upscale hotels w. pools -- but if near the sea u may not want a pool hotel.

If you tell more details, you'll get better advise.
Oct 20th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Travelerjan, as usual, you have provided much information. Thank you. It is because of your previous post to me that we are looking into staying at Naxos. We would be staying there in early June for four nights. The five of us are all adults that are in their 60's. The St. G. area sounds perfect. Quiet is good. The sleeping arrangements for five in one room are not a must. Kitchen facilities are not a must. We are all good friends connecting again. What sleeping arrangements (number of people per room) does the St. G. area have? We are looking for something around $150 to $200 for at least 2 or 3 in a room. Thank you for your help. WWK mentioned the Nissaki Beach Hotel. We are looking into that but would welcome any and all suggestions.
Oct 20th, 2015, 04:53 AM

Mark23, some hotels have apartments, so you don't necessarily need to rent a villa to all stay together. Here is one example of a small hotel in St George where I have stayed, although I've never used the apartments:
http://www.argo-hotel.gr/index.php?o...mid=69&lang=en
Oct 20th, 2015, 09:37 AM

Mark, early June is the perfect time ... that's when I go, and also "stanbr" & his better half, also many other Naxos "regulars," because weather is ideal, everythng's open, nothing is crowded, water is swimmable, sun sets at 9 (!!) so you get a day-and-a-half for every day.

The one thing I can't help you with is lodging at that price ... it's waaay too expensive for me!! Sounds like you are "spa people" ... Nissaki has pool, massage, "honeymoon suites," lots of staff in uniforms. So does Galalxy. THey are 2 of the only 3 upscale hotels around St. George.

My candid feelings (just my opinions from observation) re the3:
• NISSAKI is right on the end-corner of the beach nearest town, so location is great but to tell the truth, swims not so good there u have to walk down sand a way. Also many rooms face pool. It's jammed between 2 wings of building so no greenery (and no sea view either from pool or those rooms)
• GALAXY - Again, lots of staff, fancy public areas, but if u check location on Google, it's on a busy road and back from beach quite a way.
• NAXOS RESORT BEACH HOTEL - (not a "resort" per se, it was re-named from "Royal Beach"). Of the 3 at this level, I'd choose this, because while it is back from the beach 150 yards or so, it's a clear view, and there's nice landscaping around the pool area. (I just checked booking.com and for early june they have a special on a triple at €480 for 4 nights)
MIDLEVEL POOL HOTEL -- Hotel SPIRO ... back from beach about 200 yards, nice pool, good TA reviews; has triples as well as doubles, fills up early. May have more familes w. children than u are looking for.

OTHER OPTIONS -- Many places, like Heimdoll's favorite have both rooms, and "studio units" AND apartments (this often means 2 BR + main room). His nice ARGO is back from beach just a couple of lanes. Some of your options right ON the sands, in which alll or almost all have balconies w direct view of sea, include HOTEL ASTERIA: smackdab center of beach, lovely terrace in front serves breakfast & other meals ... STUDIOS KALERGIS (upper floors: the patio level is usually for young families) its studios work for both 2 & 3 persons; booking.com sez €400 for 4 nites 1st week june STUDIOS THOMAIS, similar location HOTEL GLAROS: next to Nissaki, its gone upscale to be a "boutique hotel"... best unit is top floor, books v early; doesn't use onllne agencies now I think, u contact direct.

My suggstion: go to booking.com check out what looks good, then contact hotel direct. Write an e-mail letter not just fill out a form: tell exactly what u want, tell them after you get info & decide to book,you'll supply Credit card info to hold your reservation. In my experience I've neverhad to pay a deposit up front in Naxos; maybe Naxos Res. Bch will require, but not the others I listed.

A "bonus" for those in our age cohort, of staying on St. G. beach is that in May-June it is a MECCA for Scandinavian couples & their toddlers. You can sunbathe while enjoying the Favorite View for Grandmoms, little blond darlings waddling around naked with sandpails, while Grandad observes gorgeous Norwegian mommies acquiring a tan in minimal swimsuits.
Oct 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, travelerjan. I don't think we are spa people. We are just ignorant to the prices of rooms/hotels and that was a shot in the dark and I appreciate your knowledge and experience on the subject. Even though I am sure we would likely want to return, this may be our one shot at experiencing Greece and Turkey, so we want it to be right. Thank you again for your insights.
Oct 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM

gee Mark, sounds like we are on a similar itinerary at the same time - "fight ya" for those hotel rooms
Oct 20th, 2015, 07:01 PM
WWK

I have to disagree a bit with the descriptions of both NISSAKI BEACH HOTEL and GALAXY.

NISSAKI does have sea view both from some of the suites and some of the deluxe rooms. travelerjan is correct that the beach is not so great in front of the hotel,but all you need to do is walk to the left of the hotel on the beach and you will have a gorgeous swimming area.

GALAXY is located on what I'd call a service road. We encountered very little traffic during our stay. It is set back from the beach, but only about a block away.

Of these two, as I said earlier, NISSAKI has nicer rooms and friendlier staff.

If you are interested in either of these, I'd book as soon as you can. They are extremely popular, especially in the summer months.
Oct 21st, 2015, 06:37 PM

WWK you are scaring me - how far ahead do we need to book rooms? I was assuming that early winter would be soon enough, but I am seeing some hotels saying they are booked -- I was assuming they just hadn't opened up the calendar yet for next summer. Should we be booking now?
Oct 21st, 2015, 07:25 PM

What hotels do you see booked? There may be some small boutique places that have 90% of same people returning at same time ... but for early June, I would be surprised at larger places being full, VERY surprised.

Sometimes if you browse booking.com or hotels.com, you will get the notice "cannot make reservations for this accommodation at this time" . This doesn't mean the hotel is full -- it just means that place has not signed up with the agency ... usually because the owners can fill the place themselves without paying a % to agencies. Also, some hotels that use agencies don't make ALL their rooms available to the online bookers ... they hold some back. So u should always contact the hotel's DIRECT e-mail or website for a complete answer.
Oct 22nd, 2015, 01:34 AM

Whenever possible book directly with the hotel rather than through a third-party website. The hotel owner would rather keep all your money than pay a percentage to someone else. When you see statements on the booking websites such as "only 1 room left on our site", that means their website, not the hotel. For all you know the hotel may have allocated only that one room to the booking website, and saved the others for direct bookings.

I wouldn't even think about booking rooms for next summer until after the New Year, but if I were interested in a particular suite in a very expensive hotel maybe I would book now. Island accommodation capacity is geared for high season (late July & August). Apart from that period there are always rooms available, even when you show up on an island without reservations. After all, if every room were full in e.g. June, where would all those extra people stay in August?
Oct 22nd, 2015, 04:08 AM
WWK

lauramsgarden,

I didn't mean to scare you! I would send an e-mail to the hotel directly and inquire about availability/booking for early summer. Don't be surprised if the hotels take a little while to get back to you. It's almost end of the season, and some hotels may have reduced staff now.

For our trip to Greece this June, I booked most of the reservations in late November. Type A, anyone?? Good luck!
Oct 22nd, 2015, 06:20 AM

Thanks all - I am pretty type A (can you tell by my frequent questions?) but even I thought October was a bit early for things to be booked for June. I was planning to start nailing down the hotel rooms in early winter after we finally commit ourselves to the itinerary (still trying to figure out how to fit Rhodes in as the "odd island out" with the rest of what we want to do).
Oct 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
WWK

lauramsgarden,

IF there are particular hotels/rooms that you want, I see no harm in sending an e-mail now to inquire. Otherwise I think you have some time.
Oct 22nd, 2015, 11:10 AM

Most hotels listed on the booking websites also have their own websites, which you can find with a Google search. The contact pages usually have email addresses and telephone numbers. Note that this time of year many island hotels are in the process of closing or have already closed, and don't regularly check their emails. Some owners return to the mainland where they live during winter, and others take their own holidays after they close their hotels. If you don't get a timely reply to your email it may be worthwhile to telephone during Greek business hours, assuming you have access to a cheap international telephone call service.
Oct 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM

We were just there in September, stayed 3 nights at the highly recommended Grotta Hotel, just a short walk from Chora. The place has recently been remodeled and with the service, astounding breakfast buffet, location, everything, we loved it the most of anywhere else we stayed in Greece. We took the bus to the prettiest beaches, about a 15 minute ride away.
Oct 26th, 2015, 07:00 PM

We were in Naxos for a week in Sept and stayed at the Liana Hotel. I paid extra for a sea view & it was wonderfulWe had a 1 bedroom with a kitchen. I would say you would need 2 units for 5. I was very happy with them. The beach was across the street.
Oct 26th, 2015, 07:11 PM

BeneciaChris, glad to hear that you liked Liana. It's the one place in Ag. Prokopios that I recommend, just because it's right BY the beach, and also has at least a Bit of greenery out front. So many Ag. Pro accommodations (tho lovely in themselves) are quite far back from the beach and one has to walk down that busy big road to get to it. And also, not much greenery.

The big advantage of Ag. Prokopios beach is for swimmers... from water's edge it drops off almost immediately to deep water, whereas at Ag. Giorgios, one must wade out 100+ yards to get to swim-depth. On the other side of the equation , the advantage of Ag Giorgios is that one can stroll right in to the attractions of the port town in 10 minutes, whereas from Ag. Pro one must take the bus (in June or Sept,, hourly, last one outbound about 11pm).

In June or Sept, either one is very pleasant -- in High Season, the farther beach might be preferable.
Oct 29th, 2015, 07:17 PM

I wouldn't hoop & hollar over the restaurants in Ag. Prokopois. We had wonderful food at Plaka Beach & by the waterfront in Naxos Town.
But the people at Liana were wonderful. We had to leave early 2 mornings & they opened the breakfast room for us so we could have food before we left for the day. also t was lovely to bring breakfast to our balcony . Such a beauriful setting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO