Nat'l Geographic article on European travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nat'l Geographic article on European travel

A snippet:

---
Americans needn't avoid Europe just because the dollar is in the dumps. Spring travel can offer a less touristy experience, surprisingly good weather—and much more bang for the buck.

"Personally, it's my favorite time to go," said Kendra Thornton, spokesperson for Orbitz, a leading online travel company. "You don't have the crowds or the heat—and you feel like you are experiencing the culture instead of rubbing elbows with other tourists."

Thornton reports that her customers are increasingly choosing to visit Europe off-season.

"In Europe, as long as [you travel] before about May 15, when prices start to skyrocket, you can find some good deals and better availability," she said. "We've seen an increase among our customers traveling at those off-peak times."

...Lonely Planet's Corrigan finds additional value and experience by renting private homes and plans to do just that this spring in Florence, Italy.

"They are called 'villas,' but they could be private houses or different things—generally they are apartments," she said.

Many "villa" properties are available for rent—sometimes with no more than a two-night minimum. Online consolidators allow travelers to choose location, size, and special amenities that fit their trip.

"We save a lot of money," Corrigan said. "The prices tend to be comparable or substantially less then we'd spend on a hotel, but you can also save the euros you'd spend on breakfast."

----

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...pe_budget.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:51 AM

Interesting "spin" on the current money situation. I wouldn't expect anyone from Orbitz to advise NOT going althogh realistically, I can perfectly understand why some folks would prefer to stay home and travel domestically for a change.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM

I totally agree with the off season travel advantages. Last two winters we have been in UK and Ireland, and it was MUCH better.

BUT...this conversion rate is giving us pause and we are doing the States this year: Washington D.C. with two of the grandsons, and Portland area with friends. It just made economic sense to us, with the pound nearly two bucks and the Euro still not favorable.

Next year (2006) I am sure that even if the pound is $2.50 and the euro even further up there, we'll not be able to stay away from Europe. It is just that enjoyable for us.

With unlimited travel budget I would do both -- U.S. and Europe -- but that is definitely not the case.

I am surprised National Geographic is giving space to the obvious. Encouraging travel, of course...

Jim

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

With the future outlook, I am looking at this year as probably the best year for an American to travel to Europe for a long time.

Keith
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM

Keith, seriously? Are you of the opinion that it's only going to get worse? I have had this concern, but not seen it stated.

If you are correct, my international travel days are really limited. I retired about five years ago, and my budget for travel, which used to be quite adequate, may be grossly insufficient.

I hope you are wrong.

Jim
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:04 PM

Jim,

I hope I am wrong, too, but the current economy, government deficit and balance of trade all point toward the exchange rates getting worse.

Many would say they NEED to get worse.

Keith
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Off season is the best time to go to Europe. I prefer the cooler weather, fewer tourists and the cheaper airfares.
For me, the exchange rate is irrelavent. In 10 trips to Europe the dollar has been all over the place and I've had 10 great trips. Getting ready for another one. Couldn't care less what the exchange rate is. There are so many free and low cost things to do there. World class musuems free, noontime concerts free, walking around different areas of the city free. The money I save by avoiding expensive hotels pays for my plane ticket. Having lunch sitting by the Eiffel Tower, or by the harbor in Bergen or in a Royal Park in London is a heck of lot more fun than sitting in overcrowded restaurant. The magnificence of the Trevi Fountain or the stunning beauty of the Bernese Oberland. Definitely not thinking about the exchange rate. As Jim noted, it is enjoyable. Will never tire of going there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Good point, 007. Some years the dollar is strong, sometimes weak. I figure over the long run I'll break even.

And when you think about it, the exchange rate doesn't have as great an impact on trip costs as one might think. For example, about 1/3 of my trip costs is the airfare and rail pass. I pay that in dollars, do it doesn't matter what the exchange rate is. So, only 2/3 of my budget is subject to the exchange rate fluctuations. If it gets too bad, I can trim a day off my itinerary but not sack the whole thing.