Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is There a Different Outlook on US travel vs. European travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed this here as well. Quite often when I offer up a suggestion for a local gem it is overridden by people quoting from a guidebook. I have often said that quality should not be determined by a marketing budget.

When I travel I like to explore, get off the beaten path, get away from the resorts, eat the local food and just spend some time absorbing the local color. I am planning a trip to Italy right now and I am finding the suggestions I have gleened from the Europe board to be chock full of lessor-known sites to visit, and I am putting together quite a list of smaller, mom and pop accommodations throughout Italy.

I sometimes think that if I came here for travel advice in the US, not knowing any better, I would leave thinking my only options are 4 star resorts and the standard tourist fare.
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM

I also agree that many on the US board are interested mostly in high-end accomodations, insist on car-service or taxi from airports, and in general, want the best of everything.

Come to think of it .. just look at the requests for "What's the best [insert your choice here]?" on the US board.

But think of some of the reasons why. Many Europeans get a LOT more vacation than many of us in the U.S., and also are not willing to borrow/extend credit cards, as in the U.S.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Disclaimer: this is a generalization, not applicable to all US travellers.
In general, you'll find that people who gravitate to European travel (and spend their time conversing at Fodor's Europe) are quite different than those who only travel in the USA. Whole different mindset, very different view of the world.
People who love European travel tend to want to understand the cultures of others, tend to be interested in the things about Europe which set it apart from the US (more rich history, varying cultures, greater mix of cuisines, etc).
In general, people who only go to Disney or Vegas or the Grand Canyon etc and never have a desire to leave the USA have quite a different view of the world. Since expanding on this will only step on toes, I'll just quit here.
This topic has been reviewed many times on the Euro board if you really want to read more.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM

(what happened?) Therefore with so many nights taken, Europeans would tend to budget their "holiday" much more carefully.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM

You're also forgetting the airfare issue. Travel during peak times sometimes means 1k per person, a very big expense. Thus travelers may try to budget lodging. Also with the euro/pound being so high many travelers are cutting costs wherever possible.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:27 PM

There are simply no extraordinary "budget" lodging in most parts of the US. That's very different from other parts of the world. Here, you can have no-name motels and that's about it.

Therefore, the budget minded people on the US board will concentrate on Priceline strategies instead. You can easily get 4* hotels at city centers for $50. Meanwhile, a decent independently owned inn or B&B can easily charge you $100+.

I'd be very cautious to book a cheap independent hotel in the US, even if people recommend them.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Always factor in the multitude of travel agents who frequent this forum and plug their preferred suppliers (i.e. expensive hotels, Vegas, Disneyland, Hawaii, etc.) whenever possible. Most people who want and can afford the best of everything don't need to come to Fodor's for travel tips or advice.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM

That comment is completely false. Most people do not even go to travel agents anymore. Believe me, many people in the upper 4% tax bracket use this board without naming names.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Chicgal:

Oh boy...your new so I see why you see what you see.

The Europe Boards have loads of both types of travellers and a whole lot of something that falls in between...

I do not want to argue but let me say that I have seen lots of both ends on the USA boards too. Some areas like Hawaii and Alaska are exceptions...those destinations are expensive...TO ME.

I think the boards are VERY different. The "tones" are quite distinct. I think the USA Boards CAN be more cooperative and that the Europe boads CAN be more competitive.

All in all good boards, good posters and good questions and lots of travel and non travel sharing.

I have been around sine early 1999.

Oaktown Traveler

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Sub-$500 fares to Europe during peak (summer) season are not at all typical of what people see from most points of origin within the U.S. -- particularly on major carriers.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:20 PM

chicgal:

You are very lucky to get that sub $500 fare non stop to London from Chicago.

Agree with Flyboy we are not seeing $500 fares to Europe from my point of origin which is St. Louis and non stop is now a thing of the past.

I did like your 3Cs regarding hotel choices and your comments regarding your stays at some very interesting B&B's in the states. Please share this information.

Thanks.
Sandy
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Jayne1973

There are some of us who travel in the U.S. with a more "European" attitude as far as looking for the real "finds," and off-the-beaten-path, non-chain experiences. I've found several such places in the Fodor's travel guides over the years.

On this website, I've received some excellent suggestions along these lines when I specifically conveyed what I was looking for. The hardest part for me is when people say negative things about places I'm interested in because they are in a less upscale part of town or are not the standard name-brand attraction.

Old May 10th, 2004, 07:24 PM

For most cities in the US, there are simply no logdings that fit your 3 C criteria. Maybe some smaller towns, but not in most cities. Clean & comfortable, probably. But close to what you want - difficult.

The economics and geography of most US cities are just different from Europe.
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan, I must most respectfully disagree with you on that. I know, from personal experience, that there are plenty of lodgings across the country that fit the CC&C bill, from small inns to B&Bs to franchises with name recognition. When I travel my lodging is simply that--a place to lie my head at the end of the day. I would add that I strive to add a third C, cheap (or should we say affordable).
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:20 PM

Chicgal:

I totally love B&B's too!

One family trip that we took covering the Pacific Northwest and Canada for 6 weeks..we did 80% B&B's.

The fun I had researching and the like.

Our son...a little boy back then, loved this Cabose B&B in Gualaula(sp). Can't believe I slaughted that spelling..it is late. You know, where St. Orres is.

Anyway...you do get a chance to chat up the B&B's when folks on this board ask about East Coast lodging suggestings for The Vineyard, Cape, Maine, VT, CT etc.

I would love to stay at this lighthouse B&B that is in the Bay Area...can't justify it eventhough I love lighthouses too...

Happy Travel Ponderings,
Oaktown Traveler
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:49 AM
ChatNoir

Do you think B&Bs are cheaper in Europe than on average in the USA?

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Interesting question. I think that there are a lot of factors. Part of traveling in Europe is getting a feel of the locate culture, which you can experience more in a B&B. In the US, culture from area to area does not vary nearly as much as it would in Europe, and I don't that that level of immersing yourself in the culture is as big of a part of a trip - it is usually more about the destination rather than seeing the people that live there in the US.

Also, I think that the US offers better cheap hotels and lower cost luxury hotels a lot of times. I found when traveling in Europe that the cost is higher and the quality lower of a lot of Holiday Inn type places, so I would also be more inclined to consider alternatives.

Plus, the fact is that the US is also more homogeneous with chains running everything than in Europe, where you are more likely to find, e.g., inns that have been run by the same family for generations.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Blacktie

Posters on the europe board actual travel, thus post seriously about hotels, etc. Not a lot of chit-chat.

And posters on europe seem to be employed and pay their own way. When they post about hotel costs, they have paid them. The US board does seem to focus on high-end stuff. Not sure why, but it could be perhaps people get discounts or don't pay, thus feel free to offer only high-end information. I find europe to be more serious about travel.

Old May 11th, 2004, 08:30 AM

I have to agree with chicgal on finding low airfares during peak season. I too am in St. Louis. While the low-cost airfares to Europe during peak season aren't as readily available as in Chicago, I have been able to find several low airfares by browsing and paying attention to airfare sales, etc. I flew to London last summer for just over $400 per person from St. Louis. It wasn't direct, but it got me to London so it was worth it.

I personally find that flying to Europe is often cheaper than flying within the US. For instance, I can generally find flights to Paris for cheaper than I can to San Francisco. It all depends on the fare sales, peak times, etc.

I think the Europe message board is different than the US message board in that there are more detailed questions answered. Europe is definitely not like the US, and things aren't always as easy as they are in the US, especially for first-time European travelers. Thus they ask lots of detailed and specific questions about tours, restaurants, directions, hotels in certain areas, etc. People are also a lot more interested in public transportation. Since public transportation is about non-existent in most of the US (with exception of certain cities), a lot of questions are about how to use it properly, best way to buy tickets, etc.

Interesting topic. Just my thoughts! I usually frequent the European boards, mostly because I love traveling to Europe and can live vicariously through other members European vacations and learn great pointers about upcoming trips I'm planning.

Tracy
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM

travelinwifey, while I certain respect your right to disagree, your response that my comments were "completely false" is totally inappropriate. How do you know whether they are false or not? You don't. They were also presented as my own views, not indisputable facts, so again, your sweeping statement that my views are "false" is rather ridiculous. I stated that people who can afford unfettered luxury don't NEED to come to Fodor's, I didn't say they never did. Again, how would YOU know? Have you polled the wealthiest 4% of all Americans about their internet travel surfing habits or something?

Travel agents are easy to spot because they often identify themselves in the hopes of securing business, and they also usually rush to defense of the travel agent industry. They also tend to "recommend" businesses (i.e expensive hotels and restaurants) that help earn commissions for them -- you won't see too many travel agents on threads about the best hiking trails in Yosemite -- they don't earn commissions on that.

You might want to put a little more thought into your knee jerk responses.