Ideas for Italy Itinerary

Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:19 AM
rjt
Original Poster

Ideas for Italy Itinerary

My husband and I will be going to Italy in mid-April. We are flying into Rome and then going to Tuscany for a wedding. We don't have a lot of time -just 7 days. Would love to hear recommendations on itineraries. We would like to stay in Rome for a day or two and then move on to Florence. What are the must-see sites? We prefer to see just a few things than be rushed. We plan to end our trip with Siena where the wedding will be taking place. We are flying back from Rome.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:26 AM

As you have apparently already bought your air tix and scheduled your dates, you are under some additional constraints. Otherwise I would have suggested starting off in Tuscany right after arrival and finishing in Rome.

I would try to have a night in Rome before you fly out. You can count on a few hours commute from Siena to Rome airport. How are you getting around, by car or train?
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
rjt
Original Poster

We do plan to get a car but not sure if we should do it from Rome or wait until we get to florence. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM

You have 7 days and at least one of those days is taken up with the wedding. Where is the wedding and at what point in your trip. I agree that it makes more sense to go to Florence or Siena first and then return to Rome for the end of the trip but of course that depends on the schedule.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:48 AM
rjt
Original Poster

The wedding is Sinalunga, which I undertand is outside of Siena. We are arriving on Tuesday; the wedding is on Saturday and we will be flying out on Monday. Unfortunately, we couldn't arrange our schedules so that we could stay in Italy after the wedding instead of before. Should we forget Rome and just take a train to Florence on the day of arrival?
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM

Here's a radical thought: Forget Florence. Or just day trip it.
Stay in Rome, do a side trip to Pompeii and definitely spend atleast 1 night (preferably 2) in Siena.
Thats:
Tue, Wed - Rome
Thu - Pompeii
Fri - Florence (or preferably stay in Rome)
Sat, Sun - Siena (and maybe San Gimignano or another hill town)
Mon - return
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM

Just re-read your post - you don't want to be rushed - i.e. skip Florence. 1.5 days in Rome is hardly enough.

I added Pompeii because it was the highlight of my trip. However, you may want to spend that day in Rome too and save Pompeii for another trip.

Believe me, there is plenty to do in Rome for 3.5 days. You could even feel rushed .

If you do go to Florence, visit the Accademia (David), the Duomo and the Uffizi. Though personally I enjoyed Palazzo Vecchio more than the Uffizi (I'm a sucker for frescoes).
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
rjt
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Any ideas on hotels in the places that you suggest? We are staying at Locanda Dell'Amorosa on the night of the wedding.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
ira

Hi rj,

> The wedding is Sinalunga, ...We are arriving on Tuesday; the wedding is on Saturday and we will be flying out on Monday.<

I suggest,

Tues arrive Rome. Train to Florence
Wed and Thurs Florence
Fri Rent car See Siena drive to
Sinalunga
Sat Wedding
Sun Drive to Rome and drop off car
Mon Taxi to FCO and home

You might find the Florence art of my trip report helpful.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Have a nice visit.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM

sinalunga is 50 km from sienna and about 20 km from arezzo. so its not really as close as you would think