Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary feedback (Italy) need to add days

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

June 23 we arrive in Milan, spend the night there, the next day leave for Cinque Terre, stay in Vernazza for 2 nights, leave the 26th for Sienna (visit Pisa on the way). Arrive in Sienna (we are staying here for 5 nights to visit with our daughter, we will most likely rent a car here) Can we see Orvieto, Civita and Rome from here? We leave on the 30th for Florence, spend the night there, July 1 in Venice (2 days here), July 3 in Dolomites (2 days), Lake Como (one or two days) and then back to Milan.

My questins are: Do I add a specific trip to Rome from Siena before heading to Florence? I can add a couple of days onto the trip after our stay in Siena but I must be there until the 30th. What places should we consider adding, should we consider changes to the draft itinerary? Should we stay longer at any of the places we are proposing to visit? Have we missed any "must see" areas? We are traveling with my 19 year old son and 7 year old son. We are not good in very crowded places and suspect that long lines and museum visits will have to be kept to a minimum. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:54 PM

There is so much to see in Rome that I think it merits at least an overnight stay (preferably 2 or 3 nights) as it is about 3 hours from Siena by car (according to Mapquest.) You can see Orvieto on your way to (or from) Rome. Also, one night in Florence is pretty short -- I think 2 would be better as there is much to see. You can get reservations for museums in Florence before you go which helps greatly to minimize waiting in lines. Reservations for climbing the tower in Pisa can also be done before your trip and will save you time.
Hope this helps!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:18 PM
ira

Hi seat,

Gad, what an awful dilemma - you might have to add days to your trip to Italy.

It is easier to get to Rome from Florence than from Siena.

May I suggest that you do a day trip to Florence from Siena, just to get a feel for the city? You can then add a couple of days to Florence.

You can then take the train to Orvieto (one night) and go on to Rome for a couple of nights as Kathryn suggests.

You might not need a car.

Which Civita are you thinking of? There are 8 of them. Do you mean civitavecchia?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

I think we will try to add more time in Rome. What is the route from Rome to Venice like? Could we go from Sienna to Florence, to Orvieto, then to Rome and then to Venice? I did read about getting reservations, thanks for reminding me. Ira-which civita do you recommend on this route and do you have a place you like to stay?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:00 AM

This is alot of ground to cover in what appears to be about 14 -15 days. What you can fit in for Rome depends on how many more days you can add.

Also, it appears you don't have much interest in Florence because one night there really won't do it justice. Also, you say you have five nights in Siena but I'm only counting 4.

I happen to love Rome, but it wouldn't be a good day trip (certainly not by car) from Siena. So my suggestion would be to rent a car, see whatever Tuscan and Umbrian hilltowns interest you while you are based in Siena and then stop for a visit to Orvieto enroute to Rome where you return the car. This plan would add at least 4 days to the trip and would omit Florence, unless you want to try a day trip from Siena. (You don't want a car in Florence)

Spend at least 3 nights in Rome, the you can train or fly to Venice. You'll see train schedules on www.trenitalia.com. The trip from Rome to Venice on the EuroStar Italia is 4.5 hours. You won't need a car in Venice but could rent one again for your tour of the Dolomites and Lake Como.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:12 AM
ira

Hi seat

>I think we will try to add more time in Rome.

Good idea.

>What is the route from Rome to Venice like?

Very easy by train

>Ira-which civita do you recommend on this route and do you have a place you like to stay? <

Sorry, can't help.

I suggest that you use your car to see Tuscany and drop it off in Orvieto, overnight there and go on to Rome.

Train Rome/Venice is 4 1/2 hr on the ES*.

Venice/Milan 2 3/4 hr on the ES*.