Naples/Sorrento Sights

Jul 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Naples/Sorrento Sights

I am planning to visit the area in a group of 4 and use the Campania Artecard.

While staying in Naples, on the first day, I plan to go to Mt. Vesuvius in the morning and then Herculaneum. On the second day, I plan to go to Paestum (I assume this will take the entire day?).

My main question is about the third day... we were planning to check out of Naples, and take all our suitcases with us for our next night in Sorrento. Is it possible to store our luggage at the Pompeii train station? I read that you can check a "bag" at Pompeii for free but I don't know if that just means a small backpack. Alternatively, I guess we could travel from Naples - Sorrento, drop everything off, and then go back up to Pompeii.

Other questions I was hoping someone could help us with...
1. Since there are 4 of us, would Campania Artecard still be worthwhile? Is there a reduced group fare in the Campania region for train fare with 4 people?
2. I found a few old topics on this but couldn't glean the answer... with the Campania Artecard, do I still need to get a paper ticket for the train? Or do I simply show it to bus drivers and to the conductor?
3. Can I use the Campania Artecard from Pompeii-Sorrento?
4. Would the Campania Artecard work for the bus from Herculaneum to Mt. Vesuvius?

Lastly, what is the best web site for looking up train times for Naples - Pompeii, and for the various buses along the Amalfi coast?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM

Hi Blake - Re. timetables -

You can find train timetables for the Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento route (Vesuviana) at:
http://www.massalubrense.it/treni-ci...viana/#more-42

For trains to Paestum* go to:
http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

- *Note that there are no trains between 08.54 and 12.00
- the entrance to Paestum is 15-20 mins walk from Paestum station.

For Amalfi Coast bus services go to:
http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...A/QUADROXV.pdf

Hopefully others will be able to help you re. the Campania Artecard.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
ira

Hi bj,

If Pompeii is important to you, you should visit the Archaeological Museum in Naples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_...logical_Museum

Jul 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Paestum and Herculaneum AND Pompeii? That's fine if you have a very lengthy stay, but it seems like Naples is getting very short shrift.

How many full days will you actually have in Naples itself?
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Sorrento is a good town to use as a base - but isn't a small resort village like Amalfi or Positano.

Frankly I would stay in sorrento the whole time and just do the trips from there - esp as you have not targeted the museum in Naples.
Jul 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links to the train schedule. I had no idea Paestum trains would not be available until after noon. I was able to see the times for departure/arrival, but I wasn't able to "purchase" to see the price. Does the site have that function?

I'm now thinking of going to Pompeii on the first day. I would check out of the Rome hotel that morning, train to Naples, check into the Naples hotel, and then go to Pompeii... would that be too rushed? I'm hoping for at least 5 hours at Pompeii since I'm interested in archeology.

Then, second day Paestum, and third day Mt. Vesuvius/Herculaneum.

On the fourth day, I was planning to visit Naple's Archaeological Museum in the morning before leaving for Sorrento, for 3 nights there (one day, Positano, another day, Amalfi).
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Blake - If you want to go to Paestum in the morning, you have trains at -

07.48 and

I'd guess the fare is approx € 6 each way. These are regional trains, so you can't book in advance.

Pompeii on the first day sounds fine. You'd have time to spend the whole afternoon there after checking into your hotel.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Search this Thread