Home Base: Naples, Sorrento, etc...

Aug 4th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Home Base: Naples, Sorrento, etc...

I'll be spending a total of 4 nights visiting the Naples/Sorrento area. But I was wondering where my "home base" should be? Should I spend 4 nights in Naples and just take day trips around the Amalfi Coast? Should I have two "home bases" and spend 2 nights in Naples and 2 in Sorrento? At this point in time, I'm still doing research on what I want to see. In Naples, I want to see the Museo Archeologico Nazionale. Going South/East, I also want to see Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvio. I've also heard good things about Capri. In general, I'm interested in historical sites, museums, and scenic areas.

Any thoughts?
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Sorrento is really most centrally located for this trip and with many transportation options. On the commuter train, the Circumvesuviana, you can make a day trip into Naples for the museum as well as visit Pompeii and Herculaneum. Buses and boats along the Amalfi Coast and a quick hydrofoil to Capri.

Sorrento is a nice, medium-sized town on a cliff overlooking the Gulf of Naples. If you want a little "snapshot" of the place, here's a link to a webcam there: www.sorrentoinfo.com/webcam.asp

Have you looked into Paestum (well preserved Greek temples just south of the Amalfi coast) also? That might change my answer.
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi BV,

With only 4 nights total, I also suggest staying in Sorrento.

You can easily take daytrips by train, ferry or bus.

When are you going?

Aug 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going to Naples/Sorrento in March of 2008.

Brian
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Pausanias

Hi Brian the Fifth

Given that you'll be in the area in March, well ahead of the season on the Amalfi Coast, I'd suggest staying in Naples. It is quite as convenient as Sorrento to Pompeii and Vesuvio -- and more convenient should you decide to visit the ancient sites north and west of Naples such as Baia, Lago Avernus, etc.

You could take a bus from Sorrento to see Positano and/or Amalfi. Or there may be some tour available from Naples

P.

Aug 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi B,

In March, Naples might be better than Sorrento.