Search

Italy-Naples

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy-Naples

Greetings! We will be in Italy the first two weeks of October, traveling by train from Florence to Rome where we had vacationed a year ago. We are considering to spend some time in Naples and are looking for suggestions. Is Naples a good choice that has many attractions? We certainly would be interested in going to Pompei as well. Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are loads of things to see in Naples, including the archeology museum which holds most of the artifacts from Pompeii. The excavations at Herculaneum are also very interesting but in a different way than Pompeii. You'll be too early for the opera season, but there will be other types of performances at the opera house.

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...mpania/naples/

http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/en/home.html

Were you also thinking of seeing some of the Amalfi Coast towns? If so, you might want to split your time between Naples and a hotel on the AC.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean,
The archeology museum would be on our list to see. Since we our traveling by train, the Amalfi Coast towns probably would not work out for us.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Being without a car does not mean you can't explore or stay on the Amalfi Coast. The AC towns are accessible by frequent bus service and less frequent ferry service from Sorrento, and you can reach Sorrento from Naples by either the Circumvesuviana commuter train or high speed ferry. You will likely use the Circumvesuviana to get to Pompeii; the Pompeii excavations are about halfway between Naples and Sorrento.

I wouldn't recommend exploring as a day trip from Naples unless you hired a driver, but depending on the time you have in the area you could split your hotel nights between Naples and a town on the coast or even Sorrento.

Circumvesuviana info:

http://www.vesuviana.com/web/en

Bus and ferry info:

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/amalfi...s_ferries.html
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM

I also meant to point out that many people stay in Sorrento and day-trip to Naples, rather than the other way around.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again Jean! Since we are staying several days in Florence and Several more days in Rome, we have two to three days to spare. I thought about Naples because we would like to see Pompeii and the museum in Naples in which we did make an attempt to see last year, but got very overwhelmed. Is Sorrento a better option?
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM

We really enjoyed our week long stay in Naples.
For more details: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-paris.cfm
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM

On our last trip to Italy, we stayed 3 days in Naples and 4 days in Sorrento. We loved both places, but for different reasons. Pompeii is halfway from Naples to Sorrento, so it's just as easy to get there from either direction. Naples is a very vibrant city with great food - I loved it. Be sure to check out the amazing sculptures in San Severo in Naples if you go - it's hard to believe they are carved out of marble. There are ferries to the Amalfi Coast, and Capri, I believe, but Ischia and Procida are two islands that are much closer and much more low key. We spent a day on Ischia, exploring the the little towns of Porto Ischia and Ponte Ischia, and eating lunch at a beachside restaurant where we could rent sun-loungers with an umbrella for the afternoon while gazing at the picturesque castle out on the point.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM

There are many things to see and do in Naples, but if you do nothing else, you must do the following-- From Piazza Garibaldi (that's the easiest way, but there are others), take the number 32 bus, and stay on it until you get to Via Petrarc. Go a few stops on this avenue and just get off the bus. There are benches along this route. You can just sit on a bench and view the most astounding panorama on earth-BAR NONE. You will be facing the Bay of Naples on an elevated vista, with Vesuvius in the background. It is the popular scene of the Bay, but seeing it in person is fantastic. I go to Naples practically every year, and every time I go to that view, it's like the very first time. Honestly, it will leave you breathless. You cannot imagine a panorama like that. It's so large that it makes one feel so small it's incredible! Don't miss it. It's a once in a lifetime experience.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also enjoyed a brief stay in Naples, and a longer one on the Amalfi Coast - without a car. Click on my name for my South Italy trip report.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
kja

I thought Naples had a wonderful array of things to do and see and I loved its vibrancy and energy and somewhat gritty, but dynamic, character. You've gotten good advice above about some of the things to see. In addition, consider spending some time in Spaccanapoli (other than the time in Sansevero, mentioned above) and check guidebooks for other options that might suit your interests.

As others have mentioned, you can use public transportation to get to and around the Amalfi Coast. I was glad I chose to spend a few days there in addition to a few days in Naples. They were very different places; I enjoyed both and appreciated the contrasts between them.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Also go to the Capodimonte Museum - one of the best art collections in Europe.

http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/naple...podimonte.html

And for a great, inexpensive, perfectly located hotel, I cannot say enough about the Hotel Decumani - loved, loved, LOVED it!

http://www.decumani.com/
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. The decision now is should I stay in Naples or Sorrento for two/three nights? My visit last year to Naples was very brief, which was extremely intense.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Your choices are so opposite. Naples or Sorrento.

My impression of Naples was of a gritty city -- with a working class character.
It was very REAL and loud and (sorry, dirty!), but authentic too. I can't say I loved it, but it was interesting.

The Amalfi Coast was very beautiful. Serene. Relaxing.

The two are just so different.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you steviegene. My brief encounter of Naples was how you described it, but I wonder if there is more to the city.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:13 AM

Yes, there is "more." Stay in Naples and explore a fascinating city!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Naples deserves at least 4 days. Your "brief encounter" didn't do it justice.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM

From today's New York Times:
http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....ns/?ref=travel