Reload this Page >

Naples questions

Search

Naples questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Heather

Naples questions

We will be in Naples for 2 days during the last week of August and are looking for a hotel or B&B with bay view rooms. Does anyone have recommendations for this area? In addition, we were wanting to spend one more night further down the coast. Any recommendations on towns or hotels?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:09 AM
naples

All I can say is "good luck." I didn't enjoy Naples. I booked a B&B. When I got there, they told me the cook was on vacation, and I couldn't get a reduction on the rate. (This happened in Rome too. Actually in Rome, they simply denied that breakfast was included.) The bathroom windows couldn't be closed. I had to shower with them half open - I had to tell myself "this is Italy." Then an Italian guy came up and told me that he was offended by my open-window shower.<BR>Do you have to stay in Naples? Besides August is the worst month for tourist - everything is closed. Read what others say about Naples - terrible.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Dawn

I stayed at the Hotel Paradiso, which has beautiful bay views from all the common rooms and the breakfast area. I believe that you can also arrange to have a room with a view as well. I also HATED Naples and have nothing good to say about it except that the Bay is very attractive and the Archeological museum was very nice. The city itself is the worst place that I have been in the world (including the third world).

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:56 AM
aaa

We stayed at the island of Procida in the bay of Naples, and went into Naples to sightsee. Try Procida in the search function. It was lovely.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:01 AM
carol

Heather,<BR><BR>There's a great thread running on Naples--opinions pro and con. You really ought to take a look at it. I had a wonderful time in Naples and at the Hotel Miramare, a small (4-storey) 4-star hotel in the Santa Lucia district near all the 5-star hotels. It's a wonderful area. I'm sure they have bay view rooms, and they also have the most beautiful, flower-bedecked roof terrace where they serve an extravagant breakfast every morning, and where you can sit and have drinks at twilight. See my other comments in the Rants and Raves section where you'll also find the hotel's website.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:03 AM
carol

Oh yes, the rooms are all air-conditioned and it works all the time (unlike some hotels in Italy, where they turn it off at night)!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:51 AM
steve

We also stayed at the Miramare and loved it. Our rooms overlooked the bay and had 2 small balconies. The area around the hotel is very nice and felt perfectly safe. There is a pathway along the bay across the street where I went running every morning. <BR>After Naples we spent a couple of nights on Capri which was wonderful.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Craig

Heather and all,<BR><BR>you mentioned a thread on the pros and cons of naples. We are planning to travel there in september and are interested and getting others opinions. Where can we find this thread? Is it on this site?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Joanne

Craig: Yes it is on this forum. It is called, "Is Naples the worst city in the world," or some such thing. I'm sure you will be able to find it.<BR><BR>j

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Ken

We spent a week in Naples last October and found it to be a wonderfully interesting and dynamic city. We had no problems with anything there. We stayed at the Parteno and loved it. Check out: www.parteno.it

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM
michele

Heather,<BR>Agree with Ken on all counts. Parteno is lovely. Liked the Miramare also..same neighborhood. Be sure to check about AC at night . August is hot.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Cindy

Naples is dirty, crowded, noisy, with horrid traffic. The hotel we stayed at was surrounded by trash and bizarre characters. Fortunately we were only there a few days - don't miss Pompeii, plan to spend a whole day there, and definitley go to the Archaelogical Museum. Otherwise, stay on the coast.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Bill Fleites

I started the earlier thread on Naples. Heather my advise to you would be to skip Naples altogether and stay in a more pleasant place like the Amalfi coast (Sorrento or Positano), or one of the islands off the bay (Capri, Procidia, or Ischia). Naples is just big, dirty, noisy city which really does not welcome visitors. Other than the museum and the view of the bay with Vesuvious in the background there is not much else of interest or beauty there.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Rob

We have stayed at the Royal/Continental &the Vesuvio....either are right on the bay

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Judy

Hi Heather,<BR>We just returned from Italy last week,my husband and I felt we had to experience Naples and decide for ourselves. We loved it, we stayed at B&B Parteno, it was fabulous, the owner Alessandro was so helpful and friendly. We only have good <BR>things to say. If you want more info<BR> email me.<BR>Judy

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:20 AM
guy

Just returned from 3 nights in Napoli. We stayed at the Pensione Bella Capri www.bellacapri.it It's rather basic, but the rooms are en-suite and very clean with friendly and more than helpful staff...the highlight though is the large balcony that overlooks the bay - stunning views. Only drawback is the busy road below, but with the balcony door closed should not disturb you. If you are on a budget, this place is ideal (euro80 per night B&B). Enjoy Naples, and don't be put off by the negative responses posted - I was'nt and experienced no difficulties whatsoever - i will definately be returning to Napoli.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Bernardo

I'm from Naples so I can give you a biased judgement, but usually all the toursits and travellers are enthusiastic and tend to return in the city (2 days are too few). In the last 5-7 years Naples is changed, so it 's possibile that the bud comments refering to the past. <BR>I can suggest a new hotel (4 stars but not expensive) in the heart of the histirical centre : HOTEL CARAVAGGIO.<BR>Don't forget to visit the church : S.GIOVANNI A CARBONARA (not known to the strangers)and NAPOLI SOTTERRANEA. <BR>bye

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:15 AM
carlo albano

I stayed at the Hotel Jolly in May,& free & I will add had good breakfests there. The hotel is quite a ways from Main Train Station & is next to Police Station.Naples has it all. Caio