Naples Museum from Rome

Search

Naples Museum from Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Museum from Rome

My wife and I are going to Rome for a week at the end of Jan. Since Naples is just a two hour train ride we thought we would take a day trip to see the Archaeological Museum.
My question is what is the best way to get to the Museum from the Train Station?
Thanks

Ps Can anyone recommend a good pizza place in that area?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM

You can easily pluck-out the directions from this post http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34665492

You might also consider doing Herculaneum and the museum in this daytrip.
You can do Herculaneum's audioguide tour at a slow pace and exploring alittle in 2hrs.
That would give you most of the afternoon for the museum.
Regards, Walter
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I'd stop in the tourist information booth in the train station. They can tell you which metro stop to get off at, and they will point you in the right direction
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM

From Napoli's Centrale train station, you would exit into Piazza Garibaldi and go to the R to get to the Naples Archaeological Museum. It is a rather long walk, I would recommend either taking a taxi or you could take the #205 bus. Be forewarned, the area in and around the Piazza Garibaldi/train station is dangerous so keep cameras and other visible items as hidden as possible. (I was robbed there in broad daylight 1 1/2 years ago). Fortunately, I have been back to Naples twice since that incident and have not had a problem!

An excellent, famous place known by the locals for wonderful neopolitan pizza (margherita pizza was created in Napoli) is the "Antica Port'Alba" (Via Port'Alba, 18 011 39 081 45 97 13) that is always open, you do not need reservations. It is an old (100 years+) pizzeria built into the former walls of the city and they serve some of the best pizza in Naples. I was just there in Sept (3 1/2 months ago) and our lunch prices for 2 large pizzas, contorno (side dish), 2 bottled waters, and cover charges came to 30 euros.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We've been to Pompeii and Herculaneum. But just passed through Naples Station on the way. Wanted to go back for the Museum.
So what is safest? Bus, Metro or Taxi?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM

We walked when we went to the museum. We got a little lost so it took us a while (close to an hour), but it would have only been a 15-20 minute walk otherwise. Although I would agree that the area around the train station looks a little shady, we were not approached by anyone and did not observe anyone targeting tourists for pickpocketing, etc. And we were looking really hard for this type of activity having just disrupted pickpocketers from getting another tourist' wallet in the Roma Termini station.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

One more thing. I usually carry a mid sized camera bag (camera and some lenses). I can lock it down so no one can grab inside it. But am I just stupid to bring this to Naples. Does it make me too much a target?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM

I carried my digital camera in my purse. My purse is the type that you can wear across your chest. I kept my hand on it and made eye contact with people as we passed through the train station and immediate area. No problems whatsoever. If your digital camera bag has a strap where you can wear it across your chest then I'd say you're probably fine. I would not recommend carrying it if it is the "picnic basket" type of bag, where you hold it by two little handles.

I suppose I should add that I was with my husband at all times and that we are in our 20s and pretty fit-looking. I don't think that mattered at all, but I have heard stories (no idea if they are true) of elderly people being targeted.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM

By the way, I absolutely loved Naples and the Museum is AMAZING. Once you get past the train station the city is beautiful, the people are warm, and the pizza is to die for
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Hi Ed,

I was there in Sept and took the metro to the museum from my hotel. You can take the green line from Piazza Garabaldi and simply get off at the first stop - Piazza Cavour. It's a short walk to the museum from there. the red line has a stop named Museo, but the red line doesn't go from Piazza Garabaldi - yet.

Be sure to have small bills with you if you want to get an audioguide. If you don't have exact amount, you can't get one. They don't have change. Amazing but true.

Re the station in Naples, I have gone through it several times and have never felt uncomfortable at all. Just stay alert and take the basic precautions. Outside the station are several blocks of unbelievable trash, but other than that the city is great!

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM
ira

Hi ed,

Good directions from Dayle.

The metro is in the basement of the train station. Buy your ticket before going downstairs.

You get off at Piazza Cavour. There are signs directing you to the Museum.

>Can anyone recommend a good pizza place in that area?<

Pizza Bellini on the SE corner of the Piazza of that name.

Go South from the SE corner of the Museum on Via S M Costantinopoli.

After lunch, I suggest that you walk down to the Capella Sansevero to see the statuary.

From there, you can walk through Spaccanopoli on Via Tribunali or Via Librai back to the train station.

It's downhill.

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Ed, this might interest you http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34553061
I recall now that the Farnase Atlas is at the far end of this huge hall, you would enter this hall to go to the room with the exotic artifacts and art.
Regards, Walter
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi Ed: Your mid-size camera bag sounds fine, Just take the extra precautions and carry it in a case strapped sideways across your chest. Women should not wear flashy jewelry, rings, etc. My friend and her family lives in Naples and she adhers to this rule as well. Around the Napoli train station and Piazza Garibaldi, just walk purposefully and with intent. (I am in my 30s and was with my young child in a stroller - with no visible purse or wallet showing - and they still robbed me. However, in hindsight, I know I was a likely target as I was "distracted" or preoccupied with my young child).

The Metro is probably the best way to go, otherwise, you can try walking it and really soak up the local scenery. Indeed, the pizza in Naples is to die for - the absolute best! Have a great trip!