Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France & ?...With your knowledge and experience, what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I am so happy to be planning our next vacation, which will be approx. 17 days from approx the June 22 to July 8. I wish I had more time, but this is the time my new position can afford me for now. My husband and I wish to visit Paris and the south of France, as well as another beach area, hopefully being in Greece. (ionian isles) France and Greece aren't too convenient to travel to and from to. Would you suggest this? Any suggestions for a closer nice beach area, not in France? Is 5 days enough in the Cote D'Azur? Your thoughts are appreciated - I'd like to make the most out of my short vacation allowed. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
rex

From the south of France consider the Spanish Balearic Islands (Mallroce, Menorca, etc) instead.

17 days i hardly too short... but you could devote 3-5 days to Catalunya (in France, Spain or both).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM
ira

Hi J,

Do you want a vacation or an expedition?

With 17 days (including travel to and from?) you have a very nice visit to Paris and Provence, Paris and the Dordogne, Paris and Normandy, Paris and the Loire, Paris and the Bordeaux region, or 2 weeks in Paris.

Anything more than that will not be relaxing.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Why do you feel that you need to go someplace outside of France to experience another beach??

On the Cote d'Azur the "beach scene" is quite varied. You have the big city beaches of Nice & Cannes to enjoy. The beaches at St Tropez (actually they're outside of St Tropez in the commune of Ramatouelle) have a very different "look & feel" from the Nice/Cannes beaches.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I guess you're right...I don't really 'need' to leave France. My husband and I enjoyed Greece soooo much last year, we just wanted to return for a few days. I've never been to France, and I guess I just don't know better...
Thank you...
How long is good for the French Riviera?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM

>>How long is good for the French Riviera?<<

That really depends on you. We've spent several months there - and we still find new places to explore. The Nice Hinterland is where the Alps dump into the Med - so there are lots of villages, canyons, pastures, gorges, mountains, etc to explore. Then there are the beaches to "veg out" for a few days & soak in the sun. I'm not an art fan, but there are lots of museums in the area.

Today I posted a section of my Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary. Click on my name & read it (thread was about Haute Cagnes). You will get just a sample of the things to do on the Riveria. In this post, I only described the area around Cagnes. There are an equal number of things to do in other areas along the Riveria.

To get started, I would plan on staying in 2 locations - Nice & St Tropez. You could base there and see almost all of the Riveria (including inland) on day trips from these locations.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Take the overnight ferry to Corsica, for heaven's sakes!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM

>>How long is good for the French Riviera?<<

last year i spent two weeks in the same apartment in nice. it was not too long for me...could have stayed much longer.

you have also phrased the question as "is five days enough?" i think that you can get a good overview of the cote d'azur in five days but it would leave little time to relax. i was not eager to see and do everything as i had been there before. antibes is nice to visit for a day (or make it your base but i would prefer nice).

most people just have to see monaco and cannes but they are well worth a miss IMO. st tropez, however, is worth a visit and probably a decent place to stay for a week IF you want to just relax in one place. st tropez is an awful place to get to (including by car) ...i suggest the boat from nice. i prefer nice as a base as it has a great atmosphere and is very convenient for transport. it is a city, of course, but for some reason i find it very relaxing....shop for fish and bread in the market...wander home for a nap...back out for some sun and a drink...home to cook dinner.