Favorite Paradores

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Paradores

Will be in Spain in Jan and Feb.

Any advice on "must stay" paradores? We will be all over the country.

Thanks,
Ken
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Yes, the parador at the Alhambra which is the most popular one in Spain. Book it yesterday!
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Our favorites were in Toledo, Malaga (the best) and Arcos. We passed on the one in the Alhambra since it was a bit out of our budget.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Hi Ken, if you have time see if your library has the book "Historical Paradors"..A journey Through Spanish Hotels. The text is by Juan Eslava Galan. ISBN 3-8290-2233-6. I would imagine that Amazon has it also. It is a beautiful book and would give you some good information for your trip.
Have a lovely time in Spain.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I have stayed at the Paradores in Ronda and Arcos. Would have loved to have stayed at the one in Granada, but alas.

Parador in Ronda is much larger, you are located at the edge of the cliff, the view is magnificent. Service, dining and size of the room were all outstanding. View was to the back and beautiful.

Though it was a bit harder to get to (on public transport only) I loved the Parador in Arcos. Smaller, much more personal service. The restaurant was outstanding, and if you want to experiment there is also one of the best restaurants in the country right around the corner. I had a single room with a view of the plaza. The decor was more colonial and i found the parador had a great deal more personality than ronda.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Tough question! We stayed at 4 and really enjoyed 3 of them. Tops would have been Toledo. Best room and the view was spectacular. Running an extreme close second (or could that be tied?) would be Parador de Cazorla. Remote, yes, but high in the mountains, beautiful surroundings, and very romantic. Very romantic.

Mérida was also enojoyable, even though it was located in the middle of the city. A 16th century convent to get lost in with a charming courtyard and small well.

Granada looked nice as well, and we had started booking early enough to get in, but the price was just too prohibitive.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Leon is one of the most magnificent paradores. Originally built by Ferdinand and Isabella as a pilgrims' hostel, it incorporates a cloister and a church/museum. There is also a modern wing, which is very nicely appointed. The restaurant is excellent.

Another star parador, which I have not stayed at, is the one in Santiago de Compostela. Across from the Cathedral, it is also a pilgrims' hostel built by Ferdinand and Isabella.

And the one in Granada is superbly located on the grounds of the Alhambra. If you cannot get a room reservation there, at least have lunch there, although I doubt that the gardens will be at their best in January and February.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:35 AM
rex

See my reply on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34620662
... as well as your own other posts on this same question, where there are replies also.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:03 AM

The parador in Santiago is marvelous and the restaurant is beautiful with great food. I also liked the parador in Cangas del Onis in Picos de Europa. And yes, Arcos is great..ask for a room with a countryside view and terrace. If you sign up (I think you can do this on-line) to be an Amigo de los Paradores, you will get discount coupons and a free welcome drink.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 03:46 PM

The parador in Alarcón is outstanding. Just a few rooms in a medieval castle in the very small town of Alarcón in Cuenca. The perfect place to start your trip in Spain.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
rex

back "to the top" - - it may well be that ksddfam has not yet grasped "click on your own name"...
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM

I must be the only post'er who ever stayed at the Parador in Cadiz! ;-) It'd be a shame to spend that kind of dough unless you could really enjoy the terrace/ocean - it was a push after Easter, but I forced myself to go out and smoke a havana each day! The "wild" parrots in the palms that front the hotel are cute and the complimentary breakfast was amazing, but the hotel is a newer design and doesn't have the cachet of a private courtyard penzione in the middle of the old town.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Alarcon is a lovely parador. beware.. it is NOT in Cuenca city, but the Province of Cuenca, about an hour or so WEST of cuenca city.

It is an easy off road visit for anyone driving from madrid to valencia.
Otherwise it is difficult to reach by public transportation.