Help Me Plan a Splendid Day in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Italy in two weeks - first in Venice and then we'll be renting an apartment in Rome. We want to spend a day in Naples and would like to spend the first part of the day seeing sights, eating great pizza and then end the day, if possible at the Nat'l Museum (depending on hours open). We are only going to go if it is a nice weather forecast. We plan to get there around 11:00 -11:30.

So, I'd love a good walking itinerary. We'll be taking the train. What would be a good walk, a great street to venture on, cafe's and sfogliadele, and we'd love a recommendation for great pizza.

WHat is on the upper area of Naples? Do we take the funicular to get there?

Is it safe to walk back to the train station in the evening?

If we need to do a taxi what is the best way to get a cab in Naples?

Much thank for suggestions.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Very few parts of Napoli are unsafe,, but the area around the train station is unnerving because of the poverty and petty vice (prostitution, drug taking and dealing) on display. So have your restaurant call you a taxi.

You might consider making the National Archeology museum your first stop, as you are likely to be tired after a few hours of fighting Neopolitan chaos -- and by 5pm be ready to repair into a bar until dinnertime.

I think it is a good plan to only go if it's a nice day. That said, if you are interested in the treasures of Pompeii, the museum is a great museum, and Napoli just couldn't be more different than Venezia, and an umbrella should do you.

I've only been in a small part of the historic center, and don't care for Neopolitan pizza, so I can't advise on the rest of your post! Have a great time.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM

I spent a few days in Naples and it's really a very intense city, and in my opinion makes NYC look tame by comparison. That being said, the National Museum is a must see. I also liked the historic area around the Piazza del Plebiscito, Teatro di San Carlo, Palazzo Reale, Castel Nuevo, and Galleria Umberto. I found the following website that refers to this area as the "Naples Old Town Walking Tour":

http://www.planetware.com/do-it-your...r-i-npotwt.htm

At the above planetware.com website there are a couple of other DIY walking tours including one that goes by the Capella Sansevero which is supposed to be one of the highlights of Naples (I did not have time to visit it though).

In Naples I mostly just walked all over including the Spaccanapoli neighborhood which is an experience in itself. My hotel was by the bay and I remember that Vesuvious is so dominant that it was visible from just about any part of the city, but specially from the road that runs along the bay.

Hope you have a fun time in Napoli,
gatorbill
http://www.gatortravels.com/
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM

As I recall the train station was quite far away from the Piazza del Plebiscito area and other nice touristy parts. I would recommend starting at the museum, then wandering down Via Toledo and stopping at any interesting spots and sidestreets along the way. You'll end up at Piazza del Plebiscito and then you can take a taxi or a bus or tram back to the train station. We took the tram but I am not sure which one...

I really enjoyed the Basilica di Santa Chiara - it has a big garden in the interior with lovely tile details. Very peaceful in the middle of a busy city! It is located on Via Benedetto Croce, kind of between the museum and Plebiscito.

I also enjoyed walking along the waterfront in the Santa Lucia area, but you probably won't have time if you are just there for a day.

We were in Naples for several days and did not make it up to Vomero (the high part with the funicular). It sounded nice but there was a lot of other things to do! Enjoy. I think it's a great city even though it has a bad reputation.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi Ris,

Getting there as late as you are, I suggest:

Take the Metro (1 stop) to Piazza Cavour for the Archaeological Museum,

Walk downhill along the Via S M Costantinopoli to Piazza Bellini (Roman ruins) and Pizza at the Pizza Bellini (VG resto).

Continue downhill to Via de Sangro for the The Veiled Christ, and other statuary, at the Capella Sansevero.

Go back up to to Via Tribunali and walk West to the Piazza Dante.

Head South on via Toledo through Piazza Plebiscito and the Giardini Pubblico to the lovely waterfront.

Walk over to the Castel dell'ovo.

It should now be time for 'passageta'.

Take a cab up to Piazza Dante and get your gelato while you stroll EB through Spaccanapoli.
The Duomo is off Via Via Tribunali.

Have dinner. (Can't help with restos other than the Bellini.)

Walk to the train station.

Enjoy Naples - It's a Wonderful Town.

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM

You have gotten some good advice here, I will try and help you out on most important part, the pizza, LOL ! My favorite is Sorbillo's. The best pizza ever as far as I am concerned. I went to Naples just to eat here again, we didnt even see anything else in Naples that day (we had already done one day trip from the Amalfi coast to see Naples and this was before our visit to Erolano). Da Michele is also a classic, only 2 choices, pizza marinara or margarita. it is very good as well, but I give the edge to Sorbillos, I loved their mushroom pizza !
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Here is a second enthusiastic vote for Sorbillo!

I truly cannot imagine that ANY pizza could be better than the one I ate here last year.

http://www.accademiadellapizza.it/#

Another MUST is, as you know, sfogliatelle.

I was overcome with joy at Sfogliatelle Mary, which is on the Via Toledo end of the Galleria Umberto..close to the Piazza del Plebicito.

The other classic option, which is closer to Sorbillo, is Scaturchio, the most famous cafe in Naples and a reputed master when it comes to sfogliatelle.

http://www.scaturchio.it/sfogliata.html

The trick in eating this mulit-layered pastry is to get it when it's hot. You will noticed signs touting "caldo" at bakeries throughout the area...this is when you want to strike!

Just prepare yourself! And do not forget the amazing little fried treats sold street-side--for about 1 euro you can get a paper cone of friend vegetables, seafood, etc etc....
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Naples is one of my favorite cities in Italy. Have been there a few times - and still haven't seen it all. I'm sorry I missed Sorbillo (maybe next time...) but I love Bellini and DiMatteo (in the Spaccanapoli). DiMatteo gets quite a lot of press. But Naples is synonymous with pizza - so I don't think you can really go wrong.

I also vote for the sfogliatelle. I loved Pintauro which sounds like it's in the same vicinity as Sfogliatelle Mary. Also loved Scaturchio which I visited with a native Neopolitan.

She also took me for lunch at Da Dora - wonderful for fish, near the Acquarium.

There is a street in the Spaccanapoli where all they sell are nativity figures. Regardless of your religious persuasion, this stuff is fabulous to see. The detail is amazing... I'm sure this must be the "presepe" capital of the world. [Naples is also famous for their cameos, if you are so inclined.]

I thought the Vormero is lovely (the neighborhood above the city, reachable by tram) - a very different feel from the hustle and bustle of Naples. However, with only a day, I'd say there is more than enough to keep you busy down below.

Many of the recommendations above for a walking tour are great. I'm envious of your day in Naples - have a wonderful time.

LaDona
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM

La Bella: I am interested in the lunch at Da Dora. I had dinner reservations there and cancelled them at the last minute because I feared that the restaurant would be filled with tourists and that the cooking might suffer from all the publicity they have received over the years. But the fact that you went with a local has sparked my interest again..

If you have time, could you let me know more about the lunch you had there? I may be back in Naples for a night or two later this year and am interested in all things food related!

The nativity figures are on San Gregorio Armeno--a walk along that narrow street is certainly a must even during a short visit to Naples!

http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/naple...io-armeno.html
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM

I would not take a Taxi in naples if not necessary. If you take one make shure to ask for the price before starting the Tour...
In only one day in naples try to reach the ristorante da Michele- the best pizza at all- sine 1860!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great responses.
Are there cabs at the train station and how do I make sure I am in a city cab and not going to get ripped off? I am not fond of cabbies because in most (not all) of my travels they cheat...

Where is the Spacconapoli neighborhood?

The sfogliatelle sounds wonderful..that would be my first mission when we get there.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Hi Risab -

Check out this url:

http://nile.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/naples/mappage.html

And as you read through, you'll notice "Piazza Bellini" - this is where the pizza restaurant Bellini is located. At lunchtime, they set up a cart outside and sell slices to passers-by like we sell hot dogs in the States! People eat them all folded up in paper - personally I prefer sitting down so that the prosciutto and fresh mozzarella is not dripping down my blouse!

LaDona
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

...we love to walk...
can we walk from train station to Archeology Museum?
If so, what's the best route? It doesn't look far from the train station.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Yes, you can walk.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM

BellaDona: Can you add a bit about your meal at Da Dora, please (see my query above).

Many thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Here's what the New York Times recommends for 36 hours:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/04/27...l/27hours.html
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Risab,
The Museo Nazionale is roughly 2mi from Napoli Centrale. I think the easiest walk in order to not get lost is to go by the Duomo. The directions are to head west out of Napoli Centrale on Piazza Guiseppe Garibaldi, then head southwest (take a left) on Corso Umberto I. You go down (SW) about 0.5mi and then you will hit a traffic circle, make a right here onto Via Duomo. About another 0.5mi up (NW) you will be in front of the Duomo di Napoli which will be to your right. Continue up Via Duomo until you come to Via Foria and then turn left. A little ways up take Piazza Cavour which merges out of Via Fioria (off to your right you should see the Piazza Cavour Metro sign). Keep going down Piazza Cavour (SW) for about another 0.5mi until you come to the Museo Nazionale.

Enjoy Napoli,
gatorbill
http://www.gatortravels.com/
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:14 AM
ira

Hi ris,

>Where is the Spacconapoli neighborhood?<

It's the area West of Piazza Garibaldi. Via Tribunali plus the two main streets running E & W to the N & S of it.

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Ira:

Spaccanapoli is not a neighborhood; it is a street in Naples that runs parallel to the Via dei Tribunali. For much of its length, the formal name is Via Benedetto Croce.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:50 AM

If you have time, you should go into the Museo Cappella Sansevero, which houses Sammartino’s shrouded (veiled) Christ sculpture. It will be a quick stop, as it's a small museum, but the Shrouded Christ is truly beautiful. If I ever get back to Naples, it would be the first thing I would go back to - I was awed.

My trip report has a description of a walking tour I did with a guide on December 31 - it was a great day. I hope you enjoy Naples as much as I did!

Cyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -