Search

Name of a specific perfume shop in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name of a specific perfume shop in Paris

Hi all,
this may be a longshot but I remember visiting a perfume shop along the Rue de Rivoli many years ago and was wondering if anyone knew the name of it. I know there are oodles of perfume shops in Paris but this one was entered at street level but you had to descend a narrow spiral staircase to enter the basement sales floor. I believe it was on the Rue de Rivoli because I remember going into the shop after visiting the Louvre. Does this place ring a bell with anyone??? Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:53 AM

I just did a search on Google for "parfum" and "rue de rivoli" and kept coming up with Guerlain. Looks like he opened his first shop there. I can't find if it's still there though - so it may or may not be the shop you're thinking of!
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM

By specific, did you mean just one brand of perfume?
If not, I immediately thought of Catherine, which is in the area, although not on rue de Rivoli. Rue de Castiglione, I think.
Another shop that sells many different brands is Michel Swiss, but again, not on rue de R., but nearby.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:02 AM

there is a fairly large perfume shop directly across from the Louvre entranceon the rue de rivoli. I remember it offered good currency exchange rates (you didn't have to buy anything). There was a spiral staircase, but I can't remember if it went up one floor or down to the basement. The address 101 rue de Rivoli rings a bell, but I think that may be the address for the Louvre entrance.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:12 AM

There's a perfume store called Marrionaud (sp.?) on rue de Rivoli but I don't know if there's a spiral staircase.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your imput. As a teen in 1985 I visited Paris and stumbled upon this parfumerie and for me, this shop was what Paris was all about. A chic boutique with what seemed to be a teensy iron spiral staircase leading downstairs. I remember carefully navigating my feet so I would't slip or overstep. The saleslady recommended a bottle of Versace, which I believe was Gianni V's debut fragrance. I didn't really care for it but it was a real souvenir of my first trip and every now and then I'll take a whiff and all these wonderful memories flood back. I returned a year later and purchased a bottle of Ombre Rose because I had received a sample (this shop was VERY generous with samples) and again, the aroma of that perfume also evokes fond memories of being young in Paris. My memory is fuzzy and I may have a more romanticized recollection of this place but my family and I may take a daytrip to Paris from London this summer and I'd like to revisit this place but of course it's possible that it no longer exists. I'll just stroll along the Rue de Rivoli and enter every shop that sells perfume in hopes of finding "my place".
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM

A lot of the small shops around the 200 block of rue de Rivoli have basement rooms and thus staircases to go down to them. If you are in that area, you might enjoy seeing Marechal at 232 rue de Rivoli which specializes in porcelain and Limoges miniatures. It has a basement room with a staircase like that.
Old May 21st, 2022, 06:59 AM

Paris perfume shop

Did you find it, Holly2004? I also visited a perfume shop in Paris in the summer of 1985. It was called Michele Swiss but I don't know whether that is the correct spelling nor where it was. I remember a mirrored room lined with shelves which were packed with perfumes, and a line of women around the room and out the door. I had no idea where to begin and there wasn't time for personal assistance, as I recall. Amazingly, I somehow managed to choose Coco by Chanel. I'd love to find it again.

Originally Posted by Holly2004
Thanks everyone for your imput. As a teen in 1985 I visited Paris and stumbled upon this parfumerie and for me, this shop was what Paris was all about. A chic boutique with what seemed to be a teensy iron spiral staircase leading downstairs. I remember carefully navigating my feet so I would't slip or overstep. The saleslady recommended a bottle of Versace, which I believe was Gianni V's debut fragrance. I didn't really care for it but it was a real souvenir of my first trip and every now and then I'll take a whiff and all these wonderful memories flood back. I returned a year later and purchased a bottle of Ombre Rose because I had received a sample (this shop was VERY generous with samples) and again, the aroma of that perfume also evokes fond memories of being young in Paris. My memory is fuzzy and I may have a more romanticized recollection of this place but my family and I may take a daytrip to Paris from London this summer and I'd like to revisit this place but of course it's possible that it no longer exists. I'll just stroll along the Rue de Rivoli and enter every shop that sells perfume in hopes of finding "my place".
Old May 22nd, 2022, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The top three French chains, Sephora, Nocibé, and Marionnaud, were convicted of price fixing in 2006. Nevertheless, I don't think you will find much in the way of price variations for European beauty products.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by vettpf
Did you find it, Holly2004? I also visited a perfume shop in Paris in the summer of 1985. It was called Michele Swiss but I don't know whether that is the correct spelling nor where it was. I remember a mirrored room lined with shelves which were packed with perfumes, and a line of women around the room and out the door. I had no idea where to begin and there wasn't time for personal assistance, as I recall. Amazingly, I somehow managed to choose Coco by Chanel. I'd love to find it again.
That isn't the correct spelling.

It was Michel Swiss, sort of a discount cosmetics/perfume/accessories shop on rue de la Paix. Hasn't been in business for many years. There wasn't anything special about it, it was like a discount shop in a mall or an airport duty-free. It was recommended in a lot of American guidebooks, I know that, for people who like to shop. In fact, its claim to fame was that it advertised that it sold stuff "duty free". I don't know about that given it was in Paris proper.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 01:57 PM

I remember visiting a perfume shop which I believe was along the Champs-Élysées with my mother in 1972 and buying a small bottle of perfume. I don't remember a spiral staircase but think there were lots of mirrors and glass in an elegant boutique. Perhaps this is the place you are thinking of? I wish I could be more helpful.

Holly2004, please post if you find the shop!

Last edited by KTtravel; May 22nd, 2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 11:58 AM

My favorite from years ago, and still wear it in wintertime, is Annick Goutal, mid-way down the Tuileries, in 1st or 2d arr, right off Rue Rivoli. It is a beautiful shoppe. I wear Eau Hadrien.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:49 PM

Around the block was also Charles Blair.