Paris Linens Shopping

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:48 AM
diamonddog

Paris Linens Shopping

We are two non-shoppers, headed to Paris on the 18th for a lovely Christmas week. We hope to buy some French table linens while there, as they are easy to pack and bring home to the US without setting off TSA alarms.

We suppose such thing can be found at Galeries Lafayette and Printemps, but would prefer to avoid large department stores if possible. Can any of you who ARE shoppers and who know Paris suggest any particularly nice stores for us? We'll be staying in the 8th but we're ardent metro-users and walkers, so location shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some chains
Yves Delorme (but they sell in the US too)
http://www.yvesdelorme.com/english/s...nce_paris.html
Descamps (there is one rue Auber, near, Printemps and Galeries Lafayette)

A bit more expensive but less common :
Valombreuse 35 rue de Surène (8th)
Le Jacquart Français 12 rue Chevalier de St George (1st)
Very chic : Noel http://www.noel-paris.com/
Provençal : Les toiles du soleil - rue Jacob or Souleidao rue de Seine, both in the 6th

More affordable
Linvosges http://www.linvosges.com/f_home-ADR-SHOPS.html

Or a discounter like Blanc Casse (108 rie du Bac in the 7th for instance)
Or if you go to Montmatre, the stores around the Marche Saint Pierre (Moline, Reine, ) rue Charles Nodier or rue de Steinkerke .

When it comes to department stores, Le Bon Marche, rue de Sevres may be less crowded and has a decent choice

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Table linens are something I usually buy at the department stores. Yes, the smaller boutiques are lovely to look at, but GL gives you a 10% discount at the welcome desk, just for asking, and then you can do the detaxe in the store before you leave. I browse in the 6th and buy in the 9th!

BHV is also a good place to buy the basics...dish towels and cut-to-size lace curtains by the meter.

Dîners en Ville, suggested in the Suzy Gershman books, is particularly fun and situated in a great shopping area. It's on the corner of Rue de Varenne and Rue du Bac in the 7th.

For non-shoppers and shoppers alike, the Born To Shop books are great little tutorials on the gentle art of acquisition. She has numerous suggestions for places to eat or snack enroute as well. Her suggestion of the traiteur Gargantua is probably the best tip I have enjoyed in Paris.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM

La Tuile a Loup
35 rue Daubenton (5th)
Metro: Censier-Daubenton

I haven't made it to this shop yet, but it's always on my list. It looks very charming.

http://www.latuilealoup.com/accueil.htm
(Some of the "presse" is in english.) The proprietor apparently speaks a little english...I've emailed with her in the past.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Le Jacquard Francais has a boutique (or two?) in central Paris. Can't remember the exact address, sorry. Not cheap at all, but they have really lovely, thick, well-crafted damask table linens. For me, I like their vibrant--and sometimes subtle--colours with intricate woven designs.
I'm sure they're also represented at GL or Printemps.

BTW, just make sure you also have a measurement of your table in cm.