Munich Travel Advice

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Tina

Munich Travel Advice

My husband,15 year old daughter,and I will be flying into Munich on Dec.26th and departing Jan.1st. We have chosen not to rent a car, but rather do day trips using public transportation. I read on a thread that the "Tourist Imformation Counter" at the Munich airport can fix us up with rail tickets for our entire stay (including round trip airport transportation). Any comments or suggestions would be helpful, also do you think they will be open on the 26th? I think it's a holiday (the day after Christmas). P.S. Any ideas or suggestions for day trips would be GREAT!!! Thanks.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:37 AM
elena

We did pretty much the same thing two years ago - arrived 12/26 and left 12/31. We did not rent a car. We used the Bayern pass when we went to Salzburg and Neuschwanstein Castle. It was very inexpensive, though we did have to travel during certain times. We bought the tickets as we needed them at the train station. We took the subway or walked everywhere we visited within the city.

We arrived on the 26th and found most everything to be closed. There were a few restaurants open, but all the shops were closed.

It was a lot of fun - enjoy Munich.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:48 AM
gac

The easiest way to get to the city center in Munich is to take the "Lufthansa Bus" which leaves directly outside of the terminal building, at Sectors A and D. Fare is 9 Euros one way or 14.50 Euros round trip, and tickets are sold ON BOARD. The bus goes to the Munich Central Train Station in 50 minutes, and departs every 20 minutes. You don't need to consult anybody to take this convenient bus!!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
mark

have a great time. There is so much to do within a couple of hours from Munich.

Do yourself a favor and ask about the special train deals that they have for the week you'll be there. Do make the mistake and pay full price.

I can't remember what the ticket was called, but it allowed us to travel throughout Bavaria. The ticket allowed up to 5 people travelling together and I think the cost of the ticket was less than 25 Euros.

Can't tell you what is available for more than one day. Anybody else out there with recs for more than one day travels?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:38 PM
kah

Hello, in Munich for 5 days early Dec. I plan on markets in Nuremburg & Salzburg doing day train trips. Maybe a smaller market close to Munich also. I would love to visit castles. Is there a castle tour in December. If not, is it easy to go by train.
Thanks for the info re: Luft. bus. I will definitely take it. I still have to get a guide book for Germany. This is my first visit there, and decided on without much time to plan. Thanks for any suggestions/assistance. Staying at Uhland. I assume I would taxi from train station to hotel once arriving on bus from airport.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:27 AM
kah

Answers? thanks. TTT

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Tina

Kah- It's me Tina,
It's ok with me if you wrote on this post. We're all here to help each other with advice. Don't worry about it.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:05 AM
K

Kah,

Yes, there are bud tours to the castles in Dec. Check out www.euraide.com and click on "Bus Tours". But trains also take you there and you can make a reservation for guided tours of the castles directly from the castle website: http://www.hohenschwangau.de

You will certainly want to get a Guidebook ASAP to make the most of your time. The Rick Steves Guide to Germany-Austria-Switzerland is a great reference and the 2003 version was just released.

Have fun!