Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle

Old May 20th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle

We were thinking about taking the train from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle. I understand using the Bahn card is the best option. Can I please have information on how to get the card and book train passage to Fussen. We are a party of 4.

Thanks Anita
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM

http://www.bahn.com
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:03 AM

>We were thinking about taking the train from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle. I understand using the Bahn card is the best option. Can I please have information on how to get the card and book train passage to Fussen. We are a party of 4.<

What you need is a "Bayern Ticket" (a BahnCard is an - expensive - half pay card valid for a year). BT's are valid for unlimited travel on regional trains all over Bavaria from 9am till 3am next day on weekdays (all day on weekends). The total price for four is 38 E (23 basic fare plus 3 x 5 E for the additional travellers). Simple buy it from a ticket machine at the station. Alternatively, install the "DB Navigator" App on your cell phone and book it this way (no print out necessary). Please look up time tables at www.bahn.com. In most cases there will be a transfer at Buchloe to the train to Füssen (there are very few direct trains Munich - Füssen). In Füssen you transfer (for an 8 minutes ride) to the Bus No. 78 to Hohenschwangau.

BTW: If you have some ticket for local transport during your stay in Munich, you could use that for the train 57584 (Munich - Kempten) leaving Munich Hbf at 8:53 till Munich Pasing. Beyond Pasing (dep 9:00) your BT will be valid.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:31 AM

You don't get the train to the town the castle is in. Found a blog that gives you some more direction.

How to get from Munich to Füssen
Your journey starts at München Hbf, Munich’s central station. The train from Munich to Füssen takes just over an hour, and mountain peaks and cows grazing on slopes greet you as you approach your destination. Trains leave every hour and require no reservation.

Buses will carry you on from Füssen station. Ride line RVA/OVG 73 in the direction of Steingaden / Garmisch-Partenkirchen or line RVA/OVG 78 in the direction of Schwangau. From both buses, leave at the Hohenschwangau / Alpseestraße stop. The ride takes 8 minutes and costs 2.30 Euro each way. Once you reach the village of Hohenschwangau, it’s about a 30-minute walk to Nueschwanstein castle.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:43 AM

>The train from Munich to Füssen takes just over an hour<

It takes 2:02 to 2:05. The Bayern Ticket covers the bus ride.