Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany Bavarian Alps Itinerary- need help!

Old May 30th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi friends, I'm excited to explore outside of Munich, the Bavarian and Austrian Alps! Can you help me figure out how much is do-able in one day and in what order to visit? I'd like to consolidate staying in a place for more than one night if possible. I'd also like to visit Hallstatt Austria although its a bit out of the way. Any suggestions?
7/ 23 - Leave Amsterdam, fly to Munich, arrive at 6:30pm. Sleep in Munich.
7/ 24 - Day in Munich. Marienplatz, Market, English Gardens, surfing, Hofbraus. Sleep in Munich.
7/ 25 - Rent Car, Garmisch Partenkirchen- Partnach Gorge, Zugspite. Drive to Mittenwald. Sleep in GP?
7/ 26 - Linderholf Palace, Ettal Abbey, Neuschwanstein Castle- where should we stay overnight? Oberammergau?
7/ 27 - Lake Chiemsee, Hallstatt, Austria? Sleep in Hallstatt?
7/ 28 - Return car. Day in Munich. Sleep in Munich.
7/ 29 - Leave Munich, John flys home, Lauren & I fly to Barcelona.

I'd prefer to rent the car for as few days as possible.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

I've determined Hallstatt will be too out of the way. What are your suggestions for a similar lake village in the Bavarian area?
Old May 31st, 2017, 04:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay in GP for the night not Mittenwald.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 05:53 PM

Check out the Hotel Hilleprandt in Garmisch. We have stayed here many times. They have a web site. Stay in Garmisch for visit to Oberammergau and area. Most things close. Do not hassle with more hotel changes.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:02 AM

"I'd prefer to rent the car for as few days as possible."

One day will do it. Try this:

7/ 23 - Leave Amsterdam, fly to Munich, arrive at 6:30pm. Sleep in Munich.
7/ 24 - Day in Munich. Marienplatz, Market, English Gardens, surfing, Hofbraus. Sleep in Munich.

Book the night of the 24th in G-P and take the train to G-P in the evening. There are 5 direct trains to G-P leaving Munich between 18:00 and 20:30, and the trip takes only a bit over one hour. Leave bags with your hotel in the morning on the 25th or stow them in a Munich station locker while you enjoy Munich. So, 3 travelers?? This train ride costs less than 10 Euros each when you use the "Bayern Ticket Nacht", bought at Munich station.

7/ 25 - Garmisch Partenkirchen- Partnach Gorge, Zugspite. Drive to Mittenwald. Sleep in GP?

You do not need a car for the above destinations. There's a day pass called the Regio-Ticket Werdenfels (32 Euros/3 adults, buy at station) that covers much or all of this. If you need local buses they are free to guests who overnight in G-P - get a guest card from the tourist office.

7/ 26 - Linderholf Palace, Ettal Abbey, Neuschwanstein Castle- where should we stay overnight? Oberammergau?

Rent a car in G-P for this day and return it when you're done.

7/ 27 - Lake Chiemsee

Take the train to Prien. Prien station has lockers for bags. You could also take the train to Aschau, take the lift there, and do some walking to enjoy the scenery. I would return to Munich for the night.

7/ 28 - Day in Munich. Sleep in Munich.
7/ 29 - Leave Munich, John flys home, Lauren & I fly to Barcelona.