Search

Munich for 6 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich for 6 days

Hello every one.

Thanks for you guys help. We have 6 days in munich. But looks like Munich it self we can do in 2-2.5 days. So can you plese give suggestion as to we should unclude some long distance stuff like berlin/prague/dresden or find smaller towns keeping munich as base? I know every one has diffrent tastes but ideas will greatly help.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Herrenchiemsee Palace, on an island in Chiemsee lake in Prien, 1 hour from Munich by direct train:

http://home.arcor.de/oberpfalz-nord/...s/chiemsee.jpg
http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

Salzburg, about 2 hours from Munich by train.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, about 1.5 hours from Munich by train.

Dachau Concentration Camp - almost in Munich.

Regensburg, 1.3 hours from Munich by train.

Nuremberg, 1.75 hours from Munich by train.

Andechs Monastery (take S-Bahn to Herrsching, hike up; traditional Bavarian food and monk-brewed beer.)

All train times above are for the somewhat slower regional trains - those are the ones you can take with the economical Bayern Ticket (22€/day for one + 4€ for each additional passenger, see details below.)

http://www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM

Hi bimal123,

Yes, for your excursion/s to Garmisch, you can -- ascend the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain), walk the pedestrian zone in Garmisch and in Partenkirchen, find a nice walk along a mountain trail, etc.

I'd also recommend a visit to the sweet village of Mittenwald (a further 20 minutes from Garmisch in the direction of Innsbruck) -- Mittenwald is smaller and more charming imo, and also has an interesting violin-making museum. It's also closer to the mountains, so easier to find a mountain trail from there.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. Another good question is: All this can and should be done with Munich as base or should we move overnight to appropriate towns? We have to fly back from munich though. Appreciate your ideas.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How EARLY are you willing to get up? If you travel by rail from Munich you can see a lot if you are willing to leave early ion the day. You don't really need to move anywhere for the places suggested. If you do then you'll probably end up moving BACK to Munich the day before your flight.

The trip to Prien for Herrenchiemsee means you need to take the additional ferry from nearby Stock to the island itself. Unlike Neuschwanstein, Herrenchiemsee (which is larger) has the most elaborate interior decoration of all of the Ludwig "builds" including the fanciful Linderhof. The Hall of Mirrors is even larger than the one at Versailles after which it was named.

This trip really would take a large part of a full day to do so be aware.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Duckey1, Thanks. The Herrenchiemsee Palace site mentions that there is restoration work being done in hall of miirors. Is it still worth the visit without that? Also, Bayern ticket validity starts at 9 Am only!
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 07:47 AM

I don't want to hijack your thread but a question for Russ about the Bayern ticket. Have they changed the pricing. I recall it has been €29 for up to 5 passengers to ride anywhere in Bavaria after 9 am. Your post suggests something different now.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Ncz

We did Munich in 3 days as well and in one of the days we did an all day tour of the Neuschwanstein castle!
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM

We just returned from 5 nights Munich and 3 nights Prague.

From Munich, we took a day trip to Salzburg and also to Dacau. That gave us 3 days in Munich which I think is right. I highly recommend a day in English Garden especially if the weather is good-- hang out at the three beer gardens there. My fave was Seehaus on the lake as it served Paulaner beer and also had a lovely restaurant.

We took a Third Reich tour through Radius which was good, though I liked the Dacau tour we did through them better. The latter is a must do.

We especially enjoyed just walking around Munich and sitting outside at beer gardens/restaurants. The shopping in Munich was also excellent--I liked Ludwig Beck's department store.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I can recommend Salzburg as well. I spent 5 days there and another 5 days in Munich last Nov. It was my second time to Munich and loved the Christmas markets so much the first time that I had to go back and add Salzburg. We did a salt mine tour from Salzburg which was really fun and I believe you can also pick up a tour from Munich. If we had been in October, I would have also gone on the ice cave tour. Neuschwanstein is also a good day trip.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:37 PM

mah1980 - could you tell me where you stayed while in Munich? Trying to get some ideas - thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM

We stayed at the Louis Hotel across from the Viktualienmarket. I can recommend it. It is in a perfect location.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

ttt