Itinerary suggestions - Munich

Jan 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary suggestions - Munich

We are arriving in Munich 15 March for 7 days and would like suggestions for an itinerary. This is our first trip to Europe and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to see Fussen (Schloss Neuschwanstein) Munich and possibly Garmisch or Salzburg.

All travel would be by train/bus so ideally I would like to visit (3) places and stay 2-3 nights each ending in Munich for the return trip home.

Thank you in advance.
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM

On your first day in Munich, you should definitely take the Free Tour that runs daily, starting on Marienplatz at 10:45. Look for a guide in a bright red shirt. These tours really are free, and given by college grads who live in the city. They are all native English speakers, knowledgeable and friendly. It was about a 3.5 hour walking tour. At the end, they ask for tips. For the two of us (on a tight budget) we gave the guy 5 euros. A little more was probably deserved...
The trip to Neuschwanstein is nice if you are into walking around and seeing some gorgeous scenery. Entering the castle interior is kind of a pain, and we didn't end up doing it. Tours are at certain times and cost 8 euro. Fussen is very pretty. A classic small Bavarian town. There are also trips to Dachau for around 15-17 euro, including travel fare. The best way we found to travel by train out of Munich is on a Bayern-pass. You pay 27 euro during the week, and up to 5 people have access to all public transport except the fast ICE trains in all of Bavaria. In other words, you can take a train to Fussen, get on the bus to the castle, return to Munich and hop on the metro or subway all on the same pass. Good luck. It's a beautiful city.
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM

The Bayern ticket is your key to mobility. Salzburg is serviced on the bayern ticket-same depot as austrian rail. If you plan your return, you can go from Salzburg right to the airport with a change at the Munich train station to the airport train.
Munich has a very walkable city center-enjoy your time.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM

It depends on the individual, but we didn't find touring the interiors of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles any sort of a pain. You can buy your timed tickets online in advance.

A bus tour or train/bus on your own will work fine, but you can visit a number of other sights the same day if you can possible rent a car somehow--it's an easy and pleasant drive.
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies.

We have progressed on our itinerary...

Arrive in Munich ~ 10:00 and take the train to Fussen/Garmisch.

Day 1 - Arrive ~ 15:00 and overnight in Fussen/Garmisch. Any suggestions on which one?

Day 2 - Tour the castles and surrounding area of Fussen/Garmisch. Overnight in Fussen/Garmisch.

Day 3 - Depart for Rothenburg o. d. T. ~ 12:00 and arrive ~ 17:00. Overnight in RodT.

Day 4 - Enjoy RodT and the surrounding area. Overnight in RodT.

Day 5 - Depart for Munich ~ 13:00 and arrive ~ 16:00. Overnight in Munich.

Day 6 - Enjoy Munich. Overnight in Munich.

Day 7 - More Munich and possible a day trip to Salzburg. Overnight in Munich.

Day 8 - Depart Munich ~ 9:00 for return flight.

*Does this look like the best itinerary given the time?

*Am I allowing the appropriate amount of time for each location?

*Would you visit other areas?

*Ideally we would like to only make 3 hotel changes; however, 4 would be acceptable.

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions, much appreciated!
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:09 AM

It would be a shame for you to not be this close to the Alps and not explore then, even if just for the day. Salzburg will get you there, but if it were my trip I'd venture even deeper in the Alps. Austria or Switzerland, doesn't matter.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:22 AM

One of the little gems of the area of Bavaria between Munich and Füssen is the Wieskirche. It is not near a large town and I am not sure how to get there by bus.
We had rented a car which seems to be the best way to explore that part of Bavaria.

By the way, if you put the name Fussen in the Deutsche Bahn scheduler, you will not get what you are looking for. The correct spelling is Füssen or, in the absence of the u with the umlaut, write it Fuessen. Fussen and Fuessen are not the same.

Neuschwanstein is one of those places that looks much better from the outside than from within. The inside of the castle was never finished because King Ludwig was out of money. He just about bankrupted the kingdom with his extravaganzas. In addition to the castles around Fuessen, he also spent a huges sum on Herrenchiemsee which is east of Munich toward Salzburg. It is a castle on an island in a lake that was an attempt to rival Versailles, complete with a hall of mirrors which some people say surpasses Versailles. That is not too surprising given the changes in technology over a 100 year period.

As for Munich itself, you have a good list from which to select. Where you go is a function of your interest in art and sculpture. The undersung place I like is the Glyptothek which has a fabulous collection of Greek sculpture.

The Die Alte Pinakothek concentrates on paintings from the 14th through the 18th centuries.

The German Museum of Science and Technology is a little of a downer because it cuts off about 1945 or so.
It does have a jet airplane which the Germans introduced into WW II about 6 months too late. Had it gotten into full operation sooner, the whole ball game might have changed.

Jan 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Two suggestions...
First, as suggested previously, Neuschwanstein is actually a bit disappointing on the inside. My personal favorite of the Ludwig castles is Linderhof, which among other things has a grotto with a manmade lake, built as a performance venue for Wagner operas.
Second, while it's certainly not to everyone's taste, I highly recommend visiting the Dachau concentration camp. It's in the Munich suburbs, easily do-able in half a day. If you go, I guarantee you will remember it for the rest of your life.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Well, I guess some people's eyes work differently than others. While only about 15 rooms in Neuschwanstein were completely finished, what was finished we found fascinating, and at times almost bizarre.

Some of the finest late 19th century craftsmanship was devoted to bringing Ludwig's feverish Wagnerian fantasies to "reality." Maybe I'd already seen so many "normal" castles, palaces, etc. over my lifetime that this unusual confection had special appeal.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Duff,

Your plan looks great to me. I would stay in Füssen over Garmisch. Füssen is just a short bus ride or taxi from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. From Garmisch to the castles is more complicated by public transport. The area surrounding the castles and near Füssen is also quite naturally beautiful with a couple alpine lakes.

Regards, Gary
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Overall I like your itinerary. I would probably choose Fussen over Garmisch. Garmisch is farther away from the castles, and I think Fussen is a more enjoyable town.

I too enjoyed touring the inside of Garmisch and wouldn't miss it. The sheer over-the-topness of it all was worth a glimpse in my opinion.

I too agree with the above comments about the Alps. A big pleasure of Bavaria, for me, is the mountains. I personally would choose Salzburg over Rothenburg (although I did enjoy Rothenburg). I would spent a day in Salzburg and at least part of a day in the Salzkammergut or Berchtesgaden region.

I also would cut a night off of Munich. Its not my favorite city, although I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I feel like you could adequately see most of the main sights in a few days. I would add the night onto one of your other destinations.

Good luck!
Tracy

Jan 15th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Forgot to mention that these are just my opinions, of course. I think that overall your itinerary looks nice and you will have a nice time without trying to do too much.

Tracy
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Considering you are arriving at 3 PM on day 1, you really have only have six days; you can't see everything. I would go to Füessen. Neuschwanstein is definitely worth seeing once.

I am not so sure that Wieskirche is a "must see"; I'd prefer to see both castles at Hohenschwangau, which you can definitely do in a full day. However, if you do want to see Wieskirche, it is very accessible by bus from Füssen. The buses in this region are run by the Regionalverkehr Oberbayern (RVO, www.rvo-bus.de). There is a No. 9606 bus that leaves the Füssen Bahnhof at 9:35 and gets to Wieskirche at 10:11. You can spend an hour at the church and leave on another 9606 bus at 11:17. That bus gets into Hohenschwangau at 11:54, giving you plenty of time to visit Neuschwanstein (Make you tour reservations in advance at www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter.0.html). Note, the buses between Füssen and Wieskirche all stop at Hohenschwangau, so you don't have to go back to Füssen in order to go to the castles.

You can find all the bus connections on the Bahn website (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en). They are also available as pdf files from the RVO website. Two buses (9606 & 73) go between Füssen and Wieskirche. You can find the schedules at http://www.rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/...e/fpl/9606.pdf. For the 73 bus, substitute 73 for 9606.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:41 AM

BTW, one clarification on the Bayern Ticket. It is good only for regional trains (RE=regional express, RB=regional bahn, IRE=Interregio Express. Also ALX and BOB). It is not valid on any express trains (ICE=Intercity Express, IC=Intercity, or EC=Eurocity).

The Bayern Ticket is also valid for all S-Bahns in Bavaria and for all the conveyances (U-Bahn, streetcars, buses) of the Munich metro district (MVV). You can't use it before 9 AM on weekdays, but looking at your schedule, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the Bayern Ticket is €27 if you purchase it online or at a ticket machine. It costs €2 extra from a person (ticket counter, travel center).

For your travel in Munich, purchase partner (2-5 people together) day tickets. For the inner zone a partner day ticket costs €8,50. Almost everything to see in Munich is in the inner zone. If you want to go to Dachau, you will need a XXL Partner day ticket for €11,50. That will cover the S-Bahn to Dachau as well as the bus to the memorial.

On the day you leave, purchase an All Zones Partner day ticket for €17,00 and take one of the S-Bahns. S-1 and S-8 go along the central trunk line between the Hbf to Ost Bahnhof and then to the airport.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM

We're doing a similar trip in upcoming months, and will stay in Fussen overnight at the Hotel Sonne. Check it out if you haven't already - it gets rave reviews.

I also have hotel recommendations for Munich and Salzburg when you get to that point. I've been researching for months and think I have a good list!
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM

We really enjoyed the interiors of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles as well. Just really facinating to see that level of fantasy brought to life, plus the workmanship is amazing. I actually liked going through the parts of N that were unfinished - after seeing those amazingly over-the-top rooms, it was fun to see what was actually under all that splendor. It was also interesting to see H where Ludwig grew up - to see what shaped his childhood. I do wish the tours were longer, but such is life. We reserved our tickets online ahead of time and only had to pick them up at the Will Call window, which was great. There is a small surcharge, but well worth knowing before you arrive what time your tours will be and not having to wait in any sort of line.

Regarding the Weiskirche, if you really like churches, this is really interesting place to see. For myself, churches don't do much for me (except make me sneeze uncontrolably and make my eyes water - draw your own conclusions - LOL). We saw plenty of churches in Munich, so I was glad we didn't go out of our way to see this one - it was on our way as we were driving so we stopped in.