Munich questions

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich questions

Hi all.

We are going to Munich in late November for about eight days and we have some questions.

1. What are the choices to get to the city center from the airport at about 10pm? bus/taxi/train? Is public transportation safe?

2. What area do you recommend to stay in? Any budget hotel recommendations?

3. Is Salzburg a doable day trip from Munich?

4. Is the Neuschwastein castle a doable day trip from Munich? Is it by train or tour group? If by train, from what station does it leave and does it leave you close to the castle?

5. What are your top five sites to see in Munich?

6. Any other good day trips out of Munich?

7. When do the christmas markets start? Are they easy to find?

Thanks beforehand.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:46 PM
ira

Hi G,

We enjoyed our stay at
http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM

1. What are the choices to get to the city center from the airport at about 10pm? bus/taxi/train? Is public transportation safe?

You will need to take the S Bahn or a taxi. The Lufthansa bus makes its last run at 9:40.

I use the Astoria in the Schwabing district. It is not dirt cheap, but the breakfast is the best around in my opinion and it is included in the room rate. It is located near the U-Bahn and it is a straight route to Marienplatz.

Yes. Very. There are frequent trains all day. The scheduled journey time varies with the number of stops as you might imagine.

4. Is the Neuschwastein castle a doable day trip from Munich? Is it by train or tour group? If by train, from what station does it leave and does it leave you close to the castle?

I would try to do Neuschwanstein by rental car. It can be done by train, but I opted for a car because there were 3 of us.

That all depends on your interests.
There are dozens of small museums plus several large ones. But if you have no interesting in art, then the Alte Pinakothek is hardly a top 5 for you.
Also,if you have no interest in opera the Bavarian State Opera is no interest.
So how does one rank the attractions?

Herrenchiemsee is another of the Wittelsbach excesses. It is an attempt to imitate Versailles.

Berchtesgaden is a long day trip, best done as an overnighter. Some other German towns like Nürnberg are doable as day trips.

I have no idea.

Thanks beforehand.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere at the airport train station the last time I was in Munich that if there are late flights coming in, the S-Bahn will make additional runs after normal operating hours.
The cost one-way from the airport to the main train station (hauptbahnhof) is 9.5 euro.
Munich is one of the best places to base yourself and take numerous daytrips. Within 3 hours by train in any direction, you have your pick. Just take out a map and see what I mean.
I based myself in Munich for 9 days a number of years ago.
Visited Salzburg, Augsburg, Nuremburg, Fussen, Rothenburg and Innsbruck.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:49 PM

The s-bahn train to the city center is the best and least expensive. See the Munich Airport websight for details. The fare is about 9.50 euro.

Munich Airport info - http://www.munich-airport.de/EN/index.html

Munich Airport S-bahn info - http://www.munich-airport.de/EN/Area...tal/index.html

MVV (Munich Transport) info - http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/p...ion/index.html

I loved the Hotel Advokat. Its sleek and modern with sparkling bathrooms. The breakfast buffet is terrific and included in your rate so this make it an even better deal. The good thing is that it is within the city center and easy to walk to everything, including the Marienplatz (6-8 blocks). From Munich Airport take the S8 train to Isotar station. The hotel is about 2 blocks away.

Hotel Websight - http://www.hotel-advokat.de/

Yes, very do-able. You have to leave early in the morning though.

I never went here.

In no particular order...

1. Marienplatz
2. Shopping
3. Eating at the beer halls (Doinsl & Spatenhaus)
4. Cathedral Church of Our Lady
5. Peterskirche
6. SCHLOSS NYMPHENBURG Palace
7. RESIDENZ
8. VIKTUALIENMARKT - The open air food market.

Sights - http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Sig...569/index.html

Dachau

November 26

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/touri...127/index.html

Oh check out my websight, it need some updating but i have good descriptions of the restaurants.

http://richardab.home.comcast.net/Fl.../Arrivals.html

You are going to love Munich, its really a magical city and one of my favorites in Europe!
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM

globetraveller
All the above gave good advice.
I would advise taking a taxi since you are arriving at 10pm.
The cost in October 2003 was about 40 eur plus tip.
The cab will take you directly to your hotel whereas if you take the airport bus or the S-bahn you will still have to take a cab unless your hotel is near the train station.
Some budget hotels (Hotel Beck for example)close at 10 pm and if you arrive late the door is locked and there is no one to respond.Check in advance!
If you were arriving in the morning I would recommend the bus or the S-bahn but not for a night time arrival.
For your transportation needs go to the tourist info EurAide Room 3 at track 11.
The office is staffed by Americans who are most helpful.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:22 PM
tomc

We like to stay close to the city center. Try OctopusTravel.com and you should be able to find something close to the main train station (Haupt Bahnhof).
Salzberg is about 2 1/2 hours from Munich by car. Fussen is about 2 hours the other way. Make sure you call ahead and make reservations to go through Neuschwanstein if you are doing it on your own. The ticket office phone number is 08362/930-830 or email [email protected],de. You can book day tours to go to Fussen to Neuschwanstein and perhaps to Linderhoff. I know Panorama Tours used to do a two castle (Neuschwanstein and Linderhoff) all-day tour with 30 minutes to fill your shopping cart in Oberammergau. It is 41 Euros with an extra 15 Euros for castle admission.
While you are in Munich you will want to go the the Hofbrau Haus. The Beer Hall on the first floor is fun. There is pretty good restaurant on the second floor and the third floor features a German folk dance show (Schuplatler) that was each night at 7pm the last time I was there. I think that show runs about 20-25 Euros for admission. There are several other beer halls to explore in Munich.
The Deutsches Museum is very interesting. It is kind of like the Smithsonian but it focuses on technology.
One of our favorite restaurants is the Augustiner across from the wild boar statue in the pedestrian zone. It is very authentic Bavarian food.
Nymphenburg Palace is worth the trip out to the edge of town. The sleigh and cinderella coach collection in the garage area was particulary interisting to us. If you are a car buff you might want to go to the BMW musuem.
Dachau is another part of the Munich experience.
The biggest Christmas market is in Marian Plaz in the dead center of Munich. The crib market is at the Viktualien Market a couple of blocks away. There is another big Christmas Market in Schwabing.
From your name "Globetraveller" I am guessing you have been around these places before but just in case ... Rothenburg is just a couple of hour North on Munich by car.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies, they make planning easier.

Have a good week.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM
MaureenB

I, too, highly recommend the Hotel Uhland, near the Oktoberfest Park in Munich. Great neighborhood, walking distance to train station where you can catch the train to both Salzburg and Fussen. Big rooms, newly renovated, nice breakfast, friendly staff, family-owned, good rates, beautiful old mansion, free bikes to borrow. A long, but nice walk to Marianplatz from the hotel Uhland.
We purchased the Bayern Pass for just 22 EURO per day, for up to 5 people round-trip. About 2 hours each direction for Munich-Salzburg and Munich-Fussen. The trains leave frequently, maybe every hour, but get a schedule. The Bayern Pass also covers some buses, like the one in Fussen that takes you from the train station to the ticket depot for Neuschwanstein Castle.
You will have a fabulous time. It's beautiful countryside.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM

The drive to Hohenschwangau and the castles is very easy and interesting. We did it 2 years ago, though it was in the summer.

You can easily see Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, and Hohenschwangau in one good day if you drive yourselves.

Leave Munich around 8:30 a.m., arrive Linderhof at 10 a.m. opening time. Spend a couple of hours. Drive to Hohenschwangau, see one of the castles at 1:00 or 2 p.m. See the other around 3 or 3:30. Back in Munich easily for dinner, even if you make a stop or two on the way back.

You can by your tickets on line if you know which day you want to visit the castles: http://www.hohenschwangau.de/index.php?id=430

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM

One problem with Neuschwanstein is the steep hill leading up to the castle itself. If there is snow and/or ice, the climb may be difficult.

Perhaps there will be no snow and the warning totally unnecessary.

The Wieskirche which is in the same vicinity is a Baroque masterpiece inside. It is a small church, but I thought it almost staggering in its Baroque beauty. You have to like that kind of thing to really enjoy it, but it is worth every bit of the time, money and energy to see if you do.

Munich overall is a very safe place.
I feel safer in just about any German city than I do around American cities.

Munich is as people say. And if you pick the right places to eat, you will have a blast.

If you are not a beer drinker, not to worry. I have yet to have a European server push anything on me like here in the States.

You order what you want; they bring what you order. And no one acts like he or she wants you to leave right away.

And I love eating in Europe because I don't have to change hands with my fork.
Nobody notices!!

Simple as that.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Also liked Hotel Uhland. Stayed there this past June. It is a long walk to the center of town but we used the bus, trams, and underground to get around. Very easy to use and we don't speak German. Staff at the Uhland are very helpful with transportation questions.

We took the train from Neuschwanstein and it was easy. When you get off the train there is a bus waiting to take you to the castles. We saw both castles while in Fuessen and really enjoyed it.

The train trip to Salzburg is very easy and pretty quick. We stayed in Salzburg but you could see the main sites in a day. Don't miss the castle in the middle of town. Mozart's residences were mildly interesting.

Definitely see Nympenburg Palace in the suburbs of Munich. We took the tram there. Really cool and we spent an entire day there.

Highly recommend going to the top of the Zugspitze if it is a clear day. This was the highlight of our trip and and easy day trip from Munich.

Have fun

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM

You may want to consider an airport hotel for your first night. Priceline has some good hotels in Munich. I have found lots of hotels on www.hrs.de The train ride from munich to salzburg is very nice.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM

ttt
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Wow! This is a really old thread but seems to have good information. Is it still accurate I wonder?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM

The recommendations for Hotel Uhland are. I don't know about the rest. You probably would do better starting over with your own questions to get current answers.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Here's another vote for Hotel Uhland. I think most of this information is still fairly accurate. We were in Munich and Salzburg last October and all of the information on this older thread still seems to ring true to me.