Munich Quaint Hotels - Pension Seibel??

Jan 21st, 2003, 10:39 AM
Mary Ann

Munich Quaint Hotels - Pension Seibel??

Hi
I was following a post that seems to have disappeared, even on searchs. We are visiting Munich in Sept (before Oktoberfest). Booked a 2 bedroom apt for 4 adults at Pension Seibel. Rick Steves said it was "less than spotless" but the other posts were actually calling the rooms dark, shabby and not clean. Location is good (marianpltz), friendly and breakfast good.
Rate reasonable at 155Euros a night. Question is this a mistake?
If you have stayed there or are familiar please comment. We generally pick places based on location, with friendly staff and clean! What are other recommendations for that area. Thanks, Mary Ann

Jan 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM
bill

I wrote one of the negative reviews about the Seibel. It was dirty, dark, mildewed shower, someone's dirty underwear and jeans under the bed, etc. Location is fine--close to city center and tram stop 1/2 block away; breakfast OK--typical German pension breakfast. But it isn't quaint or charming at all--it's in what looks like an office building, and even if cleaned up the rooms would be very ordinary. Lots of steps.

Jan 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Sue

Hi Mary Ann,
My husband and I stayed at Pension Seibel last year and liked the location. Our room was small, but clean. Breakfast was very good and yes, the staff is friendly.

By the way, we had to pay cash for our stay as the hotel would not accept any other form of payment.

Jan 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM
Betsy

I wrote message on the earlier thread too. It was similar to Bill's. The location and breakfast were fine. The room was dingy and dusty. Don't think we'd stay there again. If you have no other choice, it's doable for a night or two, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Jan 21st, 2003, 01:01 PM
Mary Ann

Thanks for the confirmation. I am now looking into the Acanthus Hotel, I think it is close to the center but it is in Karen Brown's guide so hopefully better than your descriptions.
No matter what guidebooks say, they cannot be there on a daily basis and fodors travelers are the best.

Jan 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM
lou

Mary Ann-- My family and I stayed at the Acanthus during the summer of '01. Rooms were clean and good sized. Try to get an "inner" room-- quite a bit of street noise with the windows open. Terrific breakfast and pleasant service. Walking distance to public transportation and many attractions. We thought it was a solid choice and a good home base while in Munich. --Lou

Jan 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
pam

I also looked into the Acanthus but ended up booking the Atlanta. Location looks great and the web site shows nice photos. Has anyone stayed there?

Jan 26th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Mary Ann

Thanks again. We ended up canceling our Pension Seibel (from yours and other comments it appears to have gone down hill since 1999 - thus the significant room spray someone mentioned on another post)

We have booked at the Acanthus. It is about the same distance from Marienplatz as the Atlanta and closer to (I think) the Englisher Garden. The Acanthus has a bar and the write up in Karen Brown also seems like the ambiance is nice.

Thanks again, regards, Mary Ann

Jan 31st, 2003, 06:35 PM

try looking at the hotel hahn...right on the trolley and very convenient