Munich or Frankfurt

Search

Munich or Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich or Frankfurt

We are plannining a trip to Bavaria, Austria, And Switzerland. We also want to do the Romantic road and see the castles along the Rhine. Would we be better of to fly to Munich or Franfurt or does it make any difference.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I have a personal preference for Munich.
The airport is well on the northeastern side of the city and you can drive away in a rental car without having to go into the city. You can head for your destinations.

On the other hand, Munich is a fun city to visit. If you decide to visit the city itself, the Lufthansa bus is a good way to travel downtown. The bus makes two stops: Nordfriedhof (cemetery) and the main train station.

The airport is large, and it has many services that you might need to start a trip.

I think some of the decision is based on where you want to go in Austria and Switzerland. Salzburg is not far away along the autobahn.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I agree I like Minich Airport better and the city is fantastic. People are so friendly and it is spotless!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Definitely Munich, Franfurt is a large city...not a lot of interest for tourists....
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM

If you fly into Munich and take the airport bus or the U-Bahn downtown you won't need or want to rent a car for the time you are in Munich. Then take a cab to a car lot in the city (not the airport or bahnhof) and you will save a lot on the car. Seems like it is something like 21% more to rent a car at an airport or train station in Germany. You could easliy go up to Rothenburg from Munich (2-3 hours depending on stops) and see the Romantic road then head for the Rhine and Mosel valleys then down to Switzerland and Austria.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Munich would probably be the best to fly into. Frankfurt would be the best to fly out of Germany if you end your trip on the Rhine.

You are very close to Frankfurt airport when you are on the Rhine. It would beat having to drive all the way back to Munich. We have ended a few trips to Germany on the Rhine (Assmannhausen) and then driven to the Frankfurt airport on day of departure.