Search

Munich airport to Wurzburg

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich airport to Wurzburg

Arriving and departing from
Munich from SF, Want to begin trip in Wurzburg follow the romantic road to Mittenwald. Where do I stay the first night, begin north or Munich then back track?
I know we will be dead and not want to travel far after arriving, we are renting a car but we would totally enjoy luxury after spending 14 hours in a 2X2 square. I want something special. Cat
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:46 AM

It is only a 2-1/2 hour drive from Munich airport to Wurzburg - autobahn all the way. Places (of scenic interest) to stop along the way include Ingolstadt, Nurnberg, and Erlangen. A little farther afield is Bamberg. Just outside of Wurzburg is the delightful small town of Iphofen. Check out "Viamichelin". Have a pleasant trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi CharlieB,

Thanks for the info, my experience after trans atlantic flight, getting luggage and rent a car, I could only travel 45 minutes max before having road rage. I am going to follow your itinerary to Wurzburg, but what city should I stop at to sleep in, or should I drive 18 miles to Munich, sleep there and then follow your scenic interest?

I am leaving on the 14th.

Thank you for your kind reply

Cat
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Why not stay at the Kempinski Airport Hotel? It is a bit pricey but there you can enjoy some luxury and start your trip the next day after a recreative night.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I love Wurzburg personally, it is one of my favorite small cities in Germany. Incidentally, Bamberg is another of my favorite small cities (thanks to Rufus' great trip report which inspired us to go there).

Have you thought about starting at the bottom of the RR (near Fussen) and working your way northward? You are closer to the bottom of the RR than the top when you are in Munich.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Personally, I wouldn't drive INTO Munich, especially if you think you'll get any sort of road rage.

I also suspect it might be cheaper if you rented a car anywhere except at an aiport location, too.

Have you considered taking the S-Bahn into Munich and staying there overnight or if you can hack it, a train from there to Wurzburg and renting the car there? Just some possible alternatives.

Whatever, please do not post a trip report that starts out, "My Car Accident in Germany Right After We Arrived..."
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I second the suggestion of taking the train from Munich Airport via S-Bahn to MUC Hbf.(Muenchen Hauptbahnhof -main station), and then via ICE (Intercity Express) to Wuerzburg.

For train schedules see http://bahn.de You may want to reserve a seat on the ICE. They are very comfortable and fast.There is a luggage compartment at both ends of each coach, so schlepping luggage is no problem.

Wuerzburg has several hotels not far from the station. You may wish to check on this board for recommendations.

A car in Wzbg.is a bit of a nuisance; rely on public transport or walking (the old part of the city is quite compact). At the end of your stay, get your car and head to Tauberbischofsheim. South of T. is where the really nice part of the Romantic Highway begins. Its official "trailhead" is in Wertheim, at the Main river. But you can skip the Wertheim - Tauberb. stretch without missing much

If that doesn't appeal to you: Stay at the Hotel Kastanienhof in Erding,(check website) about 15 minutes of easy driving from the airport. It's right across the S-B ahn station, in case you want to go into Munich after you have caught up with your sleep.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Great advise everyone. I did go to Munich and start the romantic road up. The truck traffic seemed lighter going up instead of down.

Thank you for Bamburg advise, it is now are favorite city too.,Stopped at Nurnberg too.

My advise to all "GPS navigation system in the car." My husband and I didn't argue once, we will never go to a foreign country without one. Ours came in the car, but some rental car companies, I think rent hand held ones. We saved sooo much time getting and finding places.

If I go to Munich again, and if I have an early flight, I will stay at the Hotel Kempinski. It looked really nice. We drove to the Mandarian Oriental in Munich, it took us 30 minutes. We loved the hotel. Wurzburg, Bamberg,and Dinkelsbuhl were are favorite cities.

Thank you all.