Search

Munich Hotel- Help us pick the best location

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Hotel- Help us pick the best location

Hello,
We are trying to decide between several Munich hotels over the Christmas Holiday. We get a nice discount on Accor hotels so we are trying stay with this chain and also choose the best location... any information on the hotels would be most appreciated...

Novotel Muenchen Messe
Mercure Muenchen Schwabing
Mercure Hotel Muenchen Olympia

We would like to be near a subway station so that we are accesible to the city sites. Our plans are to take a day trip to Salzburg.

If you have any recomendations on the above hotels please let me know... thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Hello Flying Mom,
The Novotel Messe has maybe the better rooms. But it is in Riem, where the old airport was before and now the Munich Fairgrounds.
There is an underground station nearby. But it takes 15 to 20 minutes to reach downtown.
I would prefer the Mercure Schwabing. Schwabing itself is a nice place to stay, full of restaurants, pubs etc. But also somewhat of Old Munich. And is in almost walking distance to downtown. If not, there is a streetcar or underground stop at almost every corner.
Mercure Olympia is farther, but also not bad.
Have a nice trip and (hopefully) let it snow.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM
hsv

As far as location goes, I would opt for the Schwabing Mercure (although the better quality hotel might well be the Messe one).

If Accor is a must: I would take a close look at the Novotel Munic City on Hochstr., directly connected to the station at Gasteig. A rather new property with a good location.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you wolfmisc and hsv,

I will look into the Novotel Munich city center. Glad to hear that the Schwabing is in a good location in case that is our best option $$ wise.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM

If your Accor discount lets you pick any Mercure or Novotel in Munich, the Mercure Altstadt (Old Town) probably has the best location. It is, as the name implies, within the Old Town city center, and also in 5min walking distance to the subway/S-Bahn at Marienplatz.

While the Schwabing district is indeed a nice and popular area for restaurants, cafes, and shopping, the location of the Mercure is not as "nice". It's on a busy city road, and while the neighborhood is very much okay, it is far from being in a cosy location. The subway is not much more than 1/4 mile from the hotel - and you will find Munich's central park, the Englischer Garten, nearby.

The Messe hotel must be the most depressing (especially at night) - sandwiched between a rather new mall (they close at 8pm in Bavaria, so no late night shopping) and the new fairgrounds. The hotel is really just a few steps from the next subway station - but since it's on the very Eastern edge of Munich, most if not all sightseeing will require the aforementioned 20 minute "commute" to and from downtown. No restaurants except for those in the hotel and in the mall. You really have to have a strong preference for a new hotel to like it out there.