Search

MSMichel Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSMichel Hotel

We're planning to arrive early evening, mid Sept.after the tours depart. Please recommend any LOVELY hotels for the night ,dinner & breakfast recommendations & early morning viewing recommendations.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Yours sounds like a good plan! I'm not sure what your definition of "lovely" is but I stayed Hotel de la Digue. It is the last hotel before the causeway. From our small balcony we could see MSM. They have a restaurant but I only had breakfast there. Or did you want to stay on MSM?

After checking in, walk to MSM and there are several restaurants to choose from for dinner. The shops will probably be open also. If you are there late enough, there is a nighttime tour you can take, I can't remember the specifics. In the morning, get there as early as you can. When I was there, the tour busses rolled in around 9 and it got crowded quickly. The contrast of the peacefulness in the evening and the hoardes of people during the day is amazing. I loved sitting on our balcony in the evening with a glass of wine and seeing MSM all lit up - it was magical. You're lucky to get to experience both the uncrowded and crowded. Have a fun time!

You probably have found this website:
http://www.monum.fr/m_stmichel/indexa.dml?lang=en

Here is the hotel info:
http://www.ladigue.fr/anglais/index.htm
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I'd go with the advice above. We stayed on the Mont (Mere Poulard or the hotel associated with Mere Poulard) A dump. A view back to the Mont has got to be infinitely better than the view from it, especially from a very small and mediocre to poor but nonethless expensive hotel room. I'm also guessing that the food off the Mont is better and less expensive than on. Personally I think MSM is best as a "drive by."
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I agree with Julie - when we were driving there and got the first glimpse of MSM on the horizon, it was so cool! It was so fun to watch it get bigger as we approached. That was a memorable part of the visit. Also memorable was when we left and passed a line of cars and busses that was at least 10km long waiting to get into the parking lots...
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I have stayed at La Mere Poulard and my experience was better than the previous posters, my room was beautiful, the food was also good. We had a room for three people, perhaps that was the better room. Who knows. I had heard better reviews about the hotel across from La Mere, I forgot the name of it. I do agree, the best view is from across the causeway. There was a grocery store on that side that we went to before going to MSM. We bought wine and cheeses etc. that we brought to the Mont. I would still go and stay at MSM but I would not go for a day trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I should have been a little clearer, we will be coming from the east, Haute Normandy and the Caen beaches & have traveled the whole day.We're thinking after seeing MSM in the late afternoon ,evening going back to Bayeux for the night. How far from MSM at night to Bayeux on main roads. Any other suggestions for only spending 1 night away from our time share in Connelles. What hotels do you all suggest enroute to MSM from the beach areas?