chateau la cheneviere

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chateau la cheneviere

We have a reservation for 3 nights at chateau la cheneviere at Port en-Bessin in Normandy not far from Bayeux. We have noticed from reviews that the place is quite tired and in need of refurbishing. It is quite expensive and we do not want to be disappointed. Any recent visits by anyone or other recommendations for nice places in that area? We have a week to decide whether we go or change hotels. For those prices, a Samll Luxury of the World hotel should not be tired!
Thanks for any help.
jjashworth
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Oh My Word, Let me tell you about the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux. We stayed there in March and it was fantastic. The owners take such pride in the running of their hotel. They serve a wonderful breakfast that's included with the room. You can go to tripadvisor.com for more info and reviews.

Theresa in Detroit
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Hello jj:

We stayed at the Chateau for 4 nights a few years ago and loved every minute. Forget about the "tired" reviews; this is a special place. We took every evening meal in the dining room and found the food and the staff to be terrific. I have read about other Bayeux hotels on this board but I suspect that those folks have not met Claude and experienced the delightful atmosphere at Cheniviere. I can't wait to go back. Gradyghost
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to stay at chateau la Cheneviere.  We like the location and it looks lovely to us.Thanks for your advise.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
RJD

We stayed in Port en Bessin several years ago. It's a delightful place to walk around and explore. I recall the harbor and a quaint cheese shop where we bought a sinful Camembert.
Have a great time.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Hello jj:

I agree with RJD on Port en Bessin. On either Saturday or Sunday morning, there is an open-air market on the waterfront that is delightful. I hope you enjoy the hotel as much as we did; let us know. Gradyghost
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 04:50 AM

You have a car I hope. La Cheneviere is out of town from Bayeux or POrt en Bessin. If you can't get out you wil have to pay 75€ for a meal.
It is a fine hotel . XVII c chateau. It was used by the allies as the termainal for the Pipe line across the land taking petrol to the army. (before the pLUTO was installed at cherbourg)

Other fine isolated hotels in the area are Audrieu, Sully. In Bayeux, which gives you the advantage of restaurants in walking distance, there are Lion D'or, Churchill, Luxembourg, Bruneville,

Port en Bessin is a great base for visiting the d day landing beaches. Be sure to take a guide for the visit, human or audio.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. We are very much looking forward to our trip to Normandy and Brittany. All the places we have chosen look wonderful and each is a little different. We have a car so we can drive into Bayeux or surrounding towns for dinner if we decide not to eat at the Chateau. I think we will probably eat there one night.
Restaurants seem to be in abundance and we look forward to different choices. Everyone seems to like Le Petite Bistro. We might have to try that.
jjashworth
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Hello jj:

Good choice. Try to visit the 360 theatre at Arromanches while you are there:

http://www.france4families.com/Norma...manches360.htm

Have fun. Gradyghost
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. We leave on Tuesday and look forward to our trip. I will report in when we get back and perhaps help those who are planning this trip.